Personality Cafe banner

Do you entertain the concept of astrology?

• Yes I believe in it!

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I like the idea, but need more evidence to support it

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • I'm sceptical, but perhaps a little open to the possibility

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • NO, it's absolute rubbish, hogwash, silly idea

Votes: 45 53.6%
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some subscribe to it, some think it jokingly spurious.
But is there actually something to astrology?
For whatever reasons astrology may or may not be valid, does it appear to work from your perspective?
What do you think?

For the sake of entertainment and curiosity, here's a (yes I know it's biased, but there are valid trends imo) MBTI/astrotype poll:

I'm ENTP and Gemini. According to the above poll, my combined astrology and MBTI type seems to be a trend, the descriptions seem somewhat harmonious too, well in my case at least :p

Coincidence?

spice.jpg

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't believing astrology the same as saying you believe in magic? Has anyone ever come up with a potential scientific explanation for astrology?
Mystical thinking might for sure be a factor in predictive astrology, I certainly agree there.
'Magic' is a broad concept, however, and kind of implies tricks of some kind ;D

In regards to science, yes in fact there have been some theories postulated.
I read something in a book I have about electromagnetic discharge from the sun at different times of the year having an effect on melatonin production. I really ought to get that scanned and uploaded at some time. It's certainly food for thought at the very least. I also read some other statistical correspondence between mars sign iirc and vocation. My friend looked into a possible link between astrology and psychology as part of her degree. I'll link/upload that info when I'm less busy if interested.
Astrology could also be a thing because people who want to believe identify with their astrotype and maybe subconsciously exaggerate those traits in themselves.
Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I read something in a book I have about electromagnetic discharge from the sun at different times of the year having an effect on melatonin production. I really ought to get that scanned and uploaded at some time. It's certainly food for thought at the very least.
That is food for thought-- I like it. I'm glad there's at least some possible scientific link -- even if it proves to be wrong.

Furthermore, though, I have never personally observed anything that backed up astrology. By which I mean, I know a lot of fellow Geminis and we all have completely different personalities.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I enjoy it for entertainment purposes only.

I also don't think there's anything to MBTI either, that's also only for entertainment purposes for me at least.
I like to keep my mind open, observe reactions, and derive probability factors from theory.

TBH, however, essentially I too <3 being a unique and special snowflake.
But some things fit me pretty well at least, so I'll wear them.

snow.jpg

·
Registered
INFP
2,162 Posts
I don't think it is valid in any scientific value. :laughing: It is based on space magic, so it can only really be a fun type of thing. :happy:

But I like it.

Who doesn't like colorful symbols, and flattering descriptions? :laughing:

heh heh heh :kitteh:

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I think astrology is interesting to learn about, but I don't necessarily believe in it. I don't have to think it is true to find it fascinating and be curious about it.

·
Huggable Meepster ^__^
5,900 Posts
I believe Astrology may have cultural value and can be used to create self-fulfilling prophecies, however I do not believe there is any objective truth to it.

Even if the time of year you are born (even if it was more the weather than the stars) could have some impact on one's personality and/or "destiny", the impact would probably be insignificant and pale in comparison to DNA, Hormones in the womb, family stability and love, level poverty or privilege (such as wealth, white privilege, personal or business connections, ...) , local culture and culture one has access too (such as what is shown on t.v.), societal structures/safety nets, ...., even level of health, ... I don't see the alignment of the stars as having a noticeable affect (Sure, the gravitational field may be slightly stronger during certain parts of the year, but that would be a negligible effect and is meaningless, especially to things that have a much, much larger effect.

Also, there is so much variety to humans and human lives that even the somewhat vague Astrology predictions tend to not hold much predictive value and I do not see it relating to MBTI type. For MBTI type that may be easier to test and see it it all seems like random chance. With the Astrology predictions one sees in a newspaper, I suppose one would have to have a control group, but I doubt the results would be statistically significant from a placebo effect in most experiments is such an experiment was done multiple times.

I voted it as "rubbish".

·
Registered
753 Posts
Well I like it, and I like to believe that there is something to it.

Reactions: Xen23

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I believe Astrology may have cultural value and can be used to create self-fulfilling prophecies, however I do not believe there is any objective truth to it.

Even if the time of year you are born (even if it was more the weather than the stars) could have some impact on one's personality and/or "destiny", the impact would probably be insignificant and pale in comparison to DNA, Hormones in the womb, family stability and love, level poverty or privilege (such as wealth, white privilege, personal or business connections, ...) , local culture and culture one has access too (such as what is shown on t.v.), societal structures/safety nets, ...., even level of health, ... I don't see the alignment of the stars as having a noticeable affect (Sure, the gravitational field may be slightly stronger during certain parts of the year, but that would be a negligible effect and is meaningless, especially to things that have a much, much larger effect.

Also, there is so much variety to humans and human lives that even the somewhat vague Astrology predictions tend to not hold much predictive value and I do not see it relating to MBTI type. For MBTI type that may be easier to test and see it it all seems like random chance. With the Astrology predictions one sees in a newspaper, I suppose one would have to have a control group, but I doubt the results would be statistically significant from a placebo effect in most experiments is such an experiment was done multiple times.

I voted it as "rubbish".
I used the concept of astrology as real in my novel set in c.15th Europe. Back then it was just as much of a reality to them as science is to us now (so was the Bible and the concept of humours in medicine however, fwiw). Interesting to crawl into the mindset of Renaissance folk tbh :D
Self-fulfilling prophecy is certainly a thing with astrology. You believe, it becomes a reality for you and it colours your perceptions.
A thought: what if our own unique nature/nurture admixture in some way corresponds with our unique 'birth-chart?' (however, then you'd have to ask why identical twins were different :p)

Is it scientifically valid?
Like I said, I've read into the phenomenon of astrology to satisfy my own curiosity. My best friend is particularly interested in the subject and as mentioned even researched it as part of her psychology degree, and concluded that there was lack of sufficient evidence to support the theory either way (I'll admit she had her own agenda to prove it's a thing however).
I'm never sure of anything myself, that's why I like to probe into everything that piques my interests and ask questions :D
Probability works, though.

Special_d6a814_5306062.jpg

·
Registered
173 Posts
I believe in it to an extent, but it's more your entire birth chart that's telling rather than newspaper clippings that are laced with all sorts of broad statements that could be applicable at will.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I'm an INTJ and voted: NO, it's absolute rubbish, hogwash, silly idea

I think Sheldon says it best:

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I'm an INTJ and voted: NO, it's absolute rubbish, hogwash, silly idea

I think Sheldon says it best:

Is it just me, or does Penny get more and more intelligent as the series progresses?

(Or just less and less stupid...)

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ ♂
17,342 Posts
Astrology seems kind of silly to me. I don't put much stock in it, but I know enough about it to speak the lingo.

ENTP + Cancer.

·
Registered
246 Posts
ISTP - Libra

Need more evidence for me to actually believe in it. Although there seems to be a trend going on in my family where those that are born Libras are considered super lazy, love to sleep and are really good at speaking many languages and mimicing accents. And those that are Scorpios, they are head-strong, extroverted, charismatic and have a dark personality. It actually holds true for the most part in my family, but I don't see that happening with everyone else.

·
Huggable Meepster ^__^
5,900 Posts
I used the concept of astrology as real in my novel set in c.15th Europe. Back then it was just as much of a reality to them as science is to us now (so was the Bible and the concept of humours in medicine however, fwiw). Interesting to crawl into the mindset of Renaissance folk tbh :D
Self-fulfilling prophecy is certainly a thing with astrology. You believe, it becomes a reality for you and it colours your perceptions.
A thought: what if our own unique nature/nurture admixture in some way corresponds with our unique 'birth-chart?' (however, then you'd have to ask why identical twins were different :p)

Is it scientifically valid?
Like I said, I've read into the phenomenon of astrology to satisfy my own curiosity. My best friend is particularly interested in the subject and as mentioned even researched it as part of her psychology degree, and concluded that there was lack of sufficient evidence to support the theory either way (I'll admit she had her own agenda to prove it's a thing however).
I'm never sure of anything myself, that's why I like to probe into everything that piques my interests and ask questions :D
Probability works, though.

Okay, I saw you said you liked my answer before you edited it :unsure: So I am going to say thank you ^__^ (I just was not ready to respond when I first saw it)

That is really cool. I liked how you made good use of it in your novel using it as a relevant part of history ^__^
Well lots of people will correspond with their birth-chart. That is part of randomness. When something is truly random and all possibilities are equally likely, you may see that sometimes an idea works for some cases, but not for others with no real rhyme or reason. You can even see patterns in randomness when you isolate a small part of a sequence. For instance if a monkey could type for an infinite amount of time (assuming it would hit every key with some probability for each key, they can have different probabilities or the same) a monkey could type out all the works of Shakespeare. So, even in chaos, we can sometimes find order :tongue: or just choose/mold our perception to see order where there is none :crazy:

For something to be scientifically valid something would need to have many trials of observations/experiments that fail to disprove the hypothesis. There can be some theories that disprove it (because there is always randomness and variables we can not account for), but the percentage of experiments that disprove it need to be small (otherwise the hypothesis is being applied too broadly) and random (if it hints/approximates to some inner truth of the universe. If it is off in a statistically significant way, then there is probably something the hypothesis is missing). Basically for something to be scientific, there needs to have some statistical analysis performed and one would look through the eyes of disproving the claim instead of proving it (really, science does not prove anything, it only disproves, or fails to disproves over many attempts to disprove it).

Well your friend would be much more of an expert in the field than I and in a healthy scientific field it is needed to have experts challenging the status quo because science thrives with constant skepticism. However, I imagine that the current evidence and the majority of expert opinions probably do not agree and consider it hogwash. So, as far as I would be able to tell, it seems like hogwash to me. If I had the expertise to decipher any current research on the topic, I may have different opinion, but, based on what I know, it does not seem like a plausible theory and its predictive power seems hit or miss (which is not useful).

I really hope I was able to answer to your reply in a satisfactory manner. I think I answered what you wanted me to answer lol.

Edit: Omg, Kitty loaf ... SO. Cuuuuuuuute <3 :kitteh: <3 *hugs you for cuteness level, if you want the hugs, high fives if you don't*

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
I'm pretty much apathetic to astrology.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts