Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As everyone here knows the spans of a generation is not fully agreed upon by people. You'll come up with a span for a generation, but you'll also have those who come up with generation spans that are different than yours. For example I've seen tons of sources that show different span of years for generation Y (most tend to start in the 1980s and end in around 1995-1996 and some in 2000-2001).

Edit: Oops! Seems I messed up on the title of this thread. My bad.

·
Registered
532 Posts
More accurate gen y is 1984 - 2002. Born in early 80s are XY cusps. People born in mid 00s are definetely gen z. Generation definitions is based on a group of peoples similarities in their childhood (age under 18). If the gap is big, similarities will be lesser. In my view, a generation should be span max 10/15 years than 20 years.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
More accurate gen y is 1984 - 2002. Born in early 80s are XY cusps. People born in mid 00s are definetely gen z. Generation definitions is based on a group of peoples similarities in their childhood (age under 18). If the gap is big, similarities will be lesser. In my view, a generation should be span max 10/15 years than 20 years.
Well of course it has to be long enough to actually be a generation (I tend to think 15 - 20 years). I don't really agree with the spans for gen Y that personality cafe is using. I don't see many sources start Gen Y in the 1970s as the end of the 70s is usually considered late Gen X. Gen Y usually starts in the 1980s and ends somewhere in the late 1990s or early 2000s. 1994 seems a bit too early to me, but hey it's all just my own opinion based on what I could look up.

·
Registered
532 Posts
What i found is these gen z kids has multi tasking/ task switching ablity more than gen y. For eg. They chat in fb while they play games or stream youtube videos while eating, etc. People born in 90s isnt like that when they are kids. Kids born in 00s can adapt wide range of technologies much faster than their preceders. Becoz they born and growing with technology.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
As everyone here knows the spans of a generation is not fully agreed upon by people. You'll come up with a span for a generation, but you'll also have those who come up with generation spans that are different than yours. For example I've seen tons of sources that show different span of years for generation Y (most tend to start in the 1980s and end in around 1995-1996 and some in 2000-2001).

Edit: Oops! Seems I messed up on the title of this thread. My bad.
Personally I think the definition of Gen Y really boils down on person to person. Some believe it's 1980-1995 while other might believe it's 1981-1996. Some might associate Gen Y as being a "90's kid" while others might associate with being born right before the turn of the millennium (so 1982-2000ish).

Personally I like the early 80's to mid-late 90's definition the best.

I guess I would personally consider 1981/1982-1985/1986 sort of a hybrid between Gen X and Gen Y (though leaning on the Y side), 1987-1996 as being the 'peak' of the generation and 1997-2000/1 being YZ hybrid (leaning more Y).

But hey everybody's entitled to their own opinion

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What i found is these gen z kids has multi tasking/ task switching ablity more than gen y. For eg. They chat in fb while they play games or stream youtube videos while eating, etc. People born in 90s isnt like that when they are kids. Kids born in 00s can adapt wide range of technologies much faster than their preceders. Becoz they born and growing with technology.
Well that does have truth to it. Kids who grew up in the mid-late 00s during most of their childhood had things like facebook, youtube etc etc. During the mid-late 00s we had Web 2.0 and AOL Dial up was less commonly used. Kid born from say the mid 90s grew up mostly between the late 90s and early 00s and with the millennium culture/early 00's culture where things like Dial up and Web 1.0 was still commonly used and things like Facebook and Youtube didn't exist. It's why I can see how early 00's kids who are from the mid 90s wouldn't be able to multitask when they were young. While today smartphones/tablets and other devices are common with kids under 10 years old. But before kids didn't have things like phones when they were pretty young (maybe some did and I just haven't seen them).

I'll admit being able to multitask at a young age and being able to familiarize yourself with technology is pretty cool. I remember I wasn't even able to figure out how to use a VCR until I was around 7-8, but my niece who is only 5 can already use a tablet. It's pretty cool to me.

Personally I think the definition of Gen Y really boils down on person to person. Some believe it's 1980-1995 while other might believe it's 1981-1996. Some might associate Gen Y as being a "90's kid" while others might associate with being born right before the turn of the millennium (so 1982-2000ish).

I guess I would personally consider 1981/1982-1985/1986 sort of a hybrid between Gen X and Gen Y (though leaning on the Y side), 1987-1996 as being the 'peak' of the generation and 1997-2000/1 being YZ hybrid (leaning more Y).

I don't usually see Gen Y and 90's kids being equal. Last 90's kids are from 1992 which I think is way too early to end Gen Y. Like you've stated everyone is entitled to their opinion on the years. For Gen Y I usually see have these things that I think applies to them.
- Become a teen or adult in the 00s and started high school before the decade ended
- Can remember a time period before 9/11 and was in a least Elementary School when it happened (being in school when 9/11 happened is completely different from learning about it in school years later)
- Used the internet when things like AOL Dial up and Web 1.0 was still around. (Web 1.0 ended in around 2003, but Dial up still used...just with a very low percentage of people using it)
- Have the behavior of a gen Y member (I've only seen those who are 18+ with your typical gen Y behavior)

These are just a few things on how I see it. Again I can see how it's different for everyone which is why I wouldn't ever try to get anyone to see it the same way I do. Heck I could even be wrong on a lot of things when talking about gen Y.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Well that does have truth to it. Kids who grew up in the mid-late 00s during most of their childhood had things like facebook, youtube etc etc. During the mid-late 00s we had Web 2.0 and AOL Dial up was less commonly used. Kid born from say the mid 90s grew up mostly between the late 90s and early 00s and with the millennium culture/early 00's culture where things like Dial up and Web 1.0 was still commonly used and things like Facebook and Youtube didn't exist. It's why I can see how early 00's kids who are from the mid 90s wouldn't be able to multitask when they were young. While today smartphones/tablets and other devices are common with kids under 10 years old. But before kids didn't have things like phones when they were pretty young (maybe some did and I just haven't seen them).

I'll admit being able to multitask at a young age and being able to familiarize yourself with technology is pretty cool. I remember I wasn't even able to figure out how to use a VCR until I was around 7-8, but my niece who is only 5 can already use a tablet. It's pretty cool to me.

I don't usually see Gen Y and 90's kids being equal. Last 90's kids are from 1992 which I think is way too early to end Gen Y. Like you've stated everyone is entitled to their opinion on the years. For Gen Y I usually see have these things that I think applies to them.
- Become a teen or adult in the 00s and started high school before the decade ended
- Can remember a time period before 9/11 and was in a least Elementary School when it happened (being in school when 9/11 happened is completely different from learning about it in school years later)
- Used the internet when things like AOL Dial up and Web 1.0 was still around. (Web 1.0 ended in around 2003, but Dial up still used...just with a very low percentage of people using it)
- Have the behavior of a gen Y member (I've only seen those who are 18+ with your typical gen Y behavior)

These are just a few things on how I see it. Again I can see how it's different for everyone which is why I wouldn't ever try to get anyone to see it the same way I do. Heck I could even be wrong on a lot of things when talking about gen Y.
Sorry for the late response but I agree! Personally the only one I didn't relate to was starting Hs in the 00's (I stated in 2010) but everything else I remembered & related.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Honestly I with agree that it's still confusing to know when Gen-Y ends and when Gen-Z begins. But I have studied somewhat on this whole thing as far when Gen Y ended. I was reading an article on Economics in my school about two weeks ago, and in one of the paragraphs of the article it did talk about how in 1995 the Internet broke out to the public which was known as a "The Internet Boom" and shortly afterwards the internet became more acessible by the citizens of the U.S, which I feel is the reason why most people are saying Gen-Y ends in the mid-90s and Gen-Z begins in that same period. But it all depends on what you believe.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Honestly I with agree that it's still confusing to know when Gen-Y ends and when Gen-Z begins. But I have studied somewhat on this whole thing as far when Gen Y ended. I was reading an article on Economics in my school about two weeks ago, and in one of the paragraphs of the article it did talk about how in 1995 the Internet broke out to the public which was known as a "The Internet Boom" and shortly afterwards the internet became more acessible by the citizens of the U.S, which I feel is the reason why most people are saying Gen-Y ends in the mid-90s and Gen-Z begins in that same period. But it all depends on what you believe.
Yeah the release of internet in 1995 can be a reason as to why Gen Y ended and Gen Z started. Although I tend to believe that both Gen Y and Z are in the same year. Those from early-mid 1995 (as in before the release of internet in August) are in the Gen Y part. And those born in late 1995 (after the internet was released and the Internet Boom had begun) are Gen Z. For example my brother was born in late 1995 so I'd see him as a Gen Z during the Internet Boom (although some sources say that the internet boom started in 1997 which confuses me).

Although from the people that I've spoken to they don't consider the release of internet to be a valid reason as to why Gen Y ends. They consider things like 9/11 to be a good reason to cut off Gen Y. If you were in school when it happened and can remember the 9/11 event when it was still big then you'd be considered Gen Y (although I must add that it's also is determined on more than just whether or not you can remember the week of 9/11 though).

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Yeah the release of internet in 1995 can be a reason as to why Gen Y ended and Gen Z started. Although I tend to believe that both Gen Y and Z are in the same year. Those from early-mid 1995 (as in before the release of internet in August) are in the Gen Y part. And those born in late 1995 (after the internet was released and the Internet Boom had begun) are Gen Z. For example my brother was born in late 1995 so I'd see him as a Gen Z during the Internet Boom (although some sources say that the internet boom started in 1997 which confuses me).

Although from the people that I've spoken to they don't consider the release of internet to be a valid reason as to why Gen Y ends. They consider things like 9/11 to be a good reason to cut off Gen Y. If you were in school when it happened and can remember the 9/11 event when it was still big then you'd be considered Gen Y (although I must add that it's also is determined on more than just whether or not you can remember the week of 9/11 though).
Personally I like the 9/11 definition better because it is easier to explain why or why not someone's a member of Gen y plus I don't think it's valid to say that the release of the Internet is the cutoff for a generation. Especially since most of Gen Y grew up with the Internet. What definition do you guys prefer?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Personally I like the 9/11 definition better because it is easier to explain why or why not someone's a member of Gen y plus I don't think it's valid to say that the release of the Internet is the cutoff for a generation. Especially since most of Gen Y grew up with the Internet. What definition do you guys prefer?
I usually say the years go from the 1980s to say the late 1990s. Like I've mentioned with 9/11 you'd have to at least be in elementary when it happened. Learning about 9/11 today in school is completely different from actually being in school when 9/11 happened. 9/11 happened literally on the 2nd week of schooling in the US meaning that one of the first events that a person in school would've experienced was the week of 9/11. And you either new about the event because of your parents, from watching the news, from teachers in school, news paper etc etc (I found out about it from my parents and from watching the news back in 2001).

Only problem with the 9/11 rule is that it can only apply to those in the US. If you're from Europe or any other country I don't think the US rules for Gen Y would apply to you. Not all events happened in all countries at the same time either.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The definition I'll go with it is more the Internet beginning in 95' which is the end of Gen-Y/start of Gen-Z, Now I understand were your coming from as far most Gen-Yers growing up with the Internet, but if you ask most of the Gen-Yers alot of them will tell you they can remember a time where most of life was not so high-tech i.e the 90s/early to mid 00s and you still had to go outside to socalize with people rather than text them through a phone.

Now on us Gen-Zers back in the late 00s/early 10s,im sure all of us remember when the economy was becoming hugely high-tech with the HD/Bluray, smartphones, tablets, more flatscreen tvs, better high quality video game systems, the boom of social media, etc, etc. Most of us early Gen-Zers were between the ages of 10-15 when all that technology was coming out, so with that we were the ones who were exposed to it, compared to the Gen-Yers who also exposed to it, but it was something they had to get used to because it didn't exist for them back when they were kids/teens in the 90s to mid 00s.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I usually say the years go from the 1980s to say the late 1990s. Like I've mentioned with 9/11 you'd have to at least be in elementary when it happened. Learning about 9/11 today in school is completely different from actually being in school when 9/11 happened. 9/11 happened literally on the 2nd week of schooling in the US meaning that one of the first events that a person in school would've experienced was the week of 9/11. And you either new about the event because of your parents, from watching the news, from teachers in school, news paper etc etc (I found out about it from my parents and from watching the news back in 2001).

Only problem with the 9/11 rule is that it can only apply to those in the US. If you're from Europe or any other country I don't think the US rules for Gen Y would apply to you. Not all events happened in all countries at the same time either.
True you make a good point. By the 9/11 definition I would quality as a Y since I was in elementary school at the time (kindergarten to be exact) I was also living in NY at the time so that has alot to do with me remembering it as well, along with the event immediately after it and a world before hand

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The definition I'll go with it is more the Internet beginning in 95' which is the end of Gen-Y/start of Gen-Z, Now I understand were your coming from as far most Gen-Yers growing up with the Internet, but if you ask most of the Gen-Yers alot of them will tell you they can remember a time where most of life was not so high-tech i.e the 90s/early to mid 00s and you still had to go outside to socalize with people rather than text them through a phone.

Now on us Gen-Zers back in the late 00s/early 10s,im sure all of us remember when the economy was becoming hugely high-tech with the HD/Bluray, smartphones, tablets, more flatscreen tvs, better high quality video game systems, the boom of social media, etc, etc. Most of us early Gen-Zers were between the ages of 10-15 when all that technology was coming out, so with that we were the ones who were exposed to it, compared to the Gen-Yers who also exposed to it, but it was something they had to get used to because it didn't exist for them back when they were kids/teens in the 90s to mid 00s.
Interesting choice, yeah I guess that makes sense. But idk I sort of feel like a cusper. Like I grew up primarily in the Early-Mid 2000's when technology progression was still sort of slow (remember dial up, VCR, CDS, CT TVS?) so I sort of relate more with Gen Y when it comes down to my childhood. However my tweens and teens were primarily post 2005 when social media was popular, when broadband was standard, when DVD,Blu Ray & eventually streaming became popular, etc. It's a little to early to tell, but I guess my adolescence was more Z like. So yeah I'm sort of in the middle, how do you feel?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

I can see how the release of the internet can be seen on why Gen Y ended and Gen Z started. Well if we're going by the release of the internet then this is how I'd make the year span. Like I said before I see Gen Y starting at the beginning of the 1980s. So..

1980 - 1985 = older Gen Y (didn't grow up with the internet when they were young)
1986 - 1990 = core Gen Y (grew up partially with the internet)
1991 - 1995 = younger Gen Y (grew up with the internet during the infancy Web 1.0 days and when all the popular stuff we have today didn't exist)

Things like the internet were in its infancy between the mid 90s - early 00s. The older members spent a big part of their life without the internet and didn't really grow up with it. I would never say someone from 1980 - 1985 grew up with the internet as that would be pretty ridiculous of me. The core members spent a good part of their younger life without the internet and can still remember a time before the release of internet. I'm from 1989 and I was 6 when internet was released (I first used a computer when I was around 7-8), but from what I remember there wasn't much at that time that interested me as a kid. Heck I always saw computers as something only grown ups would bother with at the time. The younger members were under 5 when internet released, but they can remember when the internet was in its older days and was nothing like how it is today. And most kids during the Web 1.0/ Dial up days didn't spend too much time using the internet as things like Youtube, Facebook, twitter etc etc (basically things that are very popular with younger people nowadays ) that is used commonly weren't even released yet . From what I remember not many young kids used computers/internet very often in the late 90s/early 00s.

Now all of this is just based off what I think and experienced. For others it could be very different which is all fine by me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Interesting choice, yeah I guess that makes sense. But idk I sort of feel like a cusper. Like I grew up primarily in the Early-Mid 2000's when technology progression was still sort of slow (remember dial up, VCR, CDS, CT TVS?) so I sort of relate more with Gen Y when it comes down to my childhood. However my tweens and teens were primarily post 2005 when social media was popular, when broadband was standard, when DVD,Blu Ray & eventually streaming became popular, etc. It's a little to early to tell, but I guess my adolescence was more Z like. So yeah I'm sort of in the middle, how do you feel?
I'm just happy to be apart of a New Generation that's all. :percsmile1:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can see how the release of the internet can be seen on why Gen Y ended and Gen Z started. Well if we're going by the release of the internet then this is how I'd make the year span. Like I said before I see Gen Y starting at the beginning of the 1980s. So..

1980 - 1985 = older Gen Y
1986 - 1990 = core Gen Y
1991 - 1995 = younger Gen Y

Things like the internet were in its infancy between the mid 90s - early 00s. The older members spent a big part of their life without the internet and didn't really grow up with it. I would never say someone from 1980 - 1985 grew up with the internet as that would be pretty ridiculous of me. The core members spent a good part of their younger life without the internet and can still remember a time before the release of internet. I'm from 1989 and I was 6 when internet was released (I first used a computer when I was around 7-8), but from what I remember there wasn't much at that time that interested me as a kid. Heck I always saw computers as something only grown ups would bother with at the time. The younger members were under 5 when internet released, but they can remember when the internet was in its older days and was nothing like how it is today and most kids during the Web 1.0/ Dial up days didn't spend too much time using the internet as things like Youtube, Facebook, twitter etc etc (basically that is very popular with tons of people nowadays) that is used commonly weren't even released yet . From what I remember not many young kids used computers/internet very often in the late 90s/early 00s.

Now all of this is just based off what I think and experienced. For others it could be very different which is all fine by me.
I got on the Internet when I was 7 back in 02, but I do remember Dial Up and Netscape at a early age but it wasn't until around 06 when the Internet became a full-fledge hobby of mine, mainly do YouTube coming out during that time. But like I said if I had to the choose the end of Gen-Y i'm gonna go with it ending in the mid-90s, and Gen-Z beginning in the mid-90s. But it always goes down as those years in the mid 90s which often is considered the end and start of two generations.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

1980 - 1985 = older Gen Y
1986 - 1990 = core Gen Y
1991 - 1995 = younger Gen Y

Things like the internet were in its infancy between the mid 90s - early 00s. The older members spent a big part of their life without the internet and didn't really grow up with it. I would never say someone from 1980 - 1985 grew up with the internet as that would be pretty ridiculous of me. The core members spent a good part of their younger life without the internet and can still remember a time before the release of internet. I'm from 1989 and I was 6 when internet was released (I first used a computer when I was around 7-8), but from what I remember there wasn't much at that time that interested me as a kid. Heck I always saw computers as something only grown ups would bother with at the time. The younger members were under 5 when internet released, but they can remember when the internet was in its older days and was nothing like how it is today. And most kids during the Web 1.0/ Dial up days didn't spend too much time using the internet as things like Youtube, Facebook, twitter etc etc (basically things that are very popular with younger people nowadays ) that is used commonly weren't even released yet . From what I remember not many young kids used computers/internet very often in the late 90s/early 00s.

Yeah I guess since the internet is used world wide then that means it would be a better cutoff then 9/11 thats fair enough. I just usually go with the typical 1982-2000 definition, I see you included 1980 & 1981 borns but I personally think if you were a kid in the 80's your Gen X simple as that. People born in 82' were sort of kids in both the 80's and 90's plus they would of graduated high school in the 2000's so 1982 IMO is the first Y or Millennial year. Then 2000 would be the last year since someone born that year would technically be the last to be born in the 20th century (despite being born in the 2000's). Basically the 'meat and potatoes' of the generation would be anyone who was a kid in the late 90's/early 00's and experienced events like Columbine, Bush' election (both in 00' & 04'), 9/11, the start of War on Terror, & the Web 1.0 era. Basically if you were in elementary school during all or most of these events you're the epitome of Gen Y IMO. I guess a rough date range would be those born 1988/89-1995/96

1 - 20 of 71 Posts