Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow INFP's! I'm new here.

I was thinking lately, do you think that we are predisposed to our personality types from birth? Do you think you would have been an INFP no matter what environment you were born into or grew up in? Or do you think that early life experiences have a significant influence on the development of what type we become?

I tend to believe that I would have been an INFP no matter where I was born or where I grew up. For instance, if I was given up for adoption and sent to another country, I don't think that my nature or tendencies would be drastically different in terms of how INFP's process information and relate things internally and externally. Sure, I'd be somewhat different, but I think the foundation would always be there without too much variation.

In other words, I think that INFP was spelled in my DNA for the most part and that my environment shaped the details.

What do you think?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think I was born an INFP. A very carefree, open minded, idealistic child who cared, while others my age I felt were somewhat self-centered. That was my early childhood memories. I was very happy, but I just could not fit in. A kid got bullied in class, when I was in nursery, and I remembered asking other friends to help me stop the bully. I was about 6 or 7. They thought I was crazy. So I decided to stop the bully myself. To summarize the whole thing, the victim asked me to mind my own business...and subsequently, the victim and the bully were friends, and I was very much alone. I grew up bitter...The infp is still within, but the facade is something else

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Born INFP and the enviroment trained my T and E.

Reactions: Oh_no_she_DIDNT

·
Registered
458 Posts
Do you think you were born an INFP? Do you think personality type is written in DNA?

Although none of my family is INFP, I think I was born INFP, just as I think I was born gay though none of my family is gay. But the thought also occurs to me that we are so alike (not necessarily the sexuality part) it's like we share the same DNA. Like cuckoos dropped into different nests, we're identical twins or triplets or milleplets, living in different countries, speaking different languages, but sharing the same heart and soul. You guys are more like me than my blood family. I think, more than the other types, in a much deeper way than blood, we're family here.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Learn functions before you say things like that....
I know the functions. I'm just too lazy to write the complete form. I meant that during my lifetime I lived situations that required that I would use less used functions so at this moment I don't have as much trouble as other INFPs I've read here in being Extraverted or using objective thinking. They still drain me though.

Reactions: Oh_no_she_DIDNT

·
Premium Member
15,194 Posts
...I was thinking lately, do you think that we are predisposed to our personality types from birth? Do you think you would have been an INFP no matter what environment you were born into or grew up in?..

What do you think?
Yes, yes more yes.

I think very little has to do with Nurture, maybe 2.5%. I also believe there is a happiness gene & I'm pretty sure I gots it.

Trauma can change personality (chemical trauma, physical and emotional trauma). But for most, I think what you got, is what you got.

·
Banned
137 Posts
I'm not sure. i scored INTP a lot when I was in 10th grade and really depressed, so I guess I didn't want the "F" to exist because I didn't like what I was feeling. But I feel like, looking back on my life, INFP makes the most sense.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I don't believe that genetics determines anything, but I can acknowledge that it has influence, as does your environment and upbringing. We can't usually point to any one thing when trying to decide why something is a certain way. I know that's incredibly general... It's one of those everything-and-nothing-at-the-same-time types of situations.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it's nature and nurture working together. nothing is either/or.
I believe that nature and nurture shape who we are of course, but I don't think that I would EVER be an ESTJ no matter what environment you put me in or how hard someone tried to drill those characteristics into me.

I believe that my genetics played a huge role in my being an INFP, and that nurture plays a role in what type of INFP I become, but that it wouldn't waiver much no matter what environment I was in.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
As far as I can understand with the MBTI, you are born, live with, and die with the same personality type. We change as we grow, but it's only as in physical changes, or growing more mature/smarter about life/expanding your own horizons. That doesn't mean your personality type has changed. If a child was born an INFP, he may have two Thinker parents that teach him how to grow thicker skin. He can learn and pick up some of his parents' traits... but he'll never be an INTP. He'll always be a Feeler.

There was something I read a while ago about how a person's type may seem like it change due to stress. When a person is stressed out, they may act out in ways that aren't natural for them. An INFP's shadow functions emerges when they undergo a lot of stress, and they seem as if "they changed a lot", according to other people.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I believe we're born with a distinct personality type, but experiences shape our attitudes and beliefs in different ways. Looking back, I can see that I've been an INFP for as long as I can remember, but there are also certain aspects of my personality that weren't there from the beginning.
For example- I don't think I'm naturally shy, but shy is what I've become. Introverted, yes, but not shy.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I believe your temperment is a part of you when you are born..the traits (introvert, intuitive, feeling, perceptor), I believe your personality is a shaped by your environment, your life experiences, and the influences in your life that are built up within the framework of your temperment... each person is the sum of their experiences and what they take with them from those experiences based on what is hard-coded into them at conception. =) that's just my non-expert opinion... =p

·
Registered
110 Posts
As far as I can understand with the MBTI, you are born, live with, and die with the same personality type. We change as we grow, but it's only as in physical changes, or growing more mature/smarter about life/expanding your own horizons. That doesn't mean your personality type has changed. If a child was born an INFP, he may have two Thinker parents that teach him how to grow thicker skin. He can learn and pick up some of his parents' traits... but he'll never be an INTP. He'll always be a Feeler.
I actually think I agree with this. But on the other hand, I note that this MBTI statement is completely impossible to falsify:

-"Wow, my environment really changed my type!".
-"No, it just looks like a change of type. You are a completely different person with different perspectives, but your type is the same".

Or:

-"Since my twenties, I stopped being a feeler"
-"Nope, you're still a feeler, but you've been suppressing your feelings so long that you've become unable to use them"

Do you see what I mean? There's no way of proving that you've changed your type.

On the other hand, I do believe that I was born an INFP. And I'm not trying to appear smart or disagreeing with anyone, I'm just confused about how the MBTI comes up with the 'types don't change'-statement.

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
Not sure. Maybe. The earliest memory I remember is my fathers mother pushing me in a pram as a baby, and I remember peoples faces peering in. And I knew I didn't like that then! So I was an introverted baby. Can we remember & think things like that that early?
It's clear

1 - 20 of 30 Posts