Personality Cafe banner

Do you usually have music in your head?

7K views 63 replies 42 participants last post by  TranscendingEnlightenment 
#1 ·
No?
Yes? If so does it bother you? Do you love it? Or do you see it as annoying or distracting? sometimes?
What so g are you playing now? Do you know how it got there?

For me, yes… I mostly love it. If it gets to be too much or if there are multiple songs at once and it gets to be too much then I’ve got to sing it out or listen to it out loud. This is what I’ve got going right now— and it’s a bit jumbled so posting it out will help or solidify it as I listen to it outside.

#3 ·
I always have like 40 tabs open (slight exaggeration) and at least one of them is music. I don't really mind, I can work with background music/noise, but it can be annoying when you fall into a loop and you start playing the same part again and again.

there are multiple songs at once
Same, but I find it quite funny because, since I can't remember pieces/songs completely, I'm constantly mixing them up and sometimes I end up with interesting mixes (?). At least it makes some people laugh; someone has even asked me to edit the actual songs.

Right now I'm playing a mix between Expectations by Tame Impala and El Tamborilero. I... can't explain.

#5 ·
I always have like 40 tabs open (slight exaggeration) and at least one of them is music. I don't really mind, I can work with background music/noise, but it can be annoying when you fall into a loop and you start playing the same part again and again.

Same, but I find it quite funny because, since I can't remember pieces/songs completely, I'm constantly mixing them up and sometimes I end up with interesting mixes (?). At least it makes some people laugh; someone has even asked me to edit the actual songs.

Right now I'm playing a mix between Expectations by Tame Impala and El Tamborilero. I... can't explain.
Cool! This is the thread to post it. Some people have composed some great songs while trying to remember a different song. I think the Beatles’ “Yesterday” was like that, I think. I might be wrong. I think composing is just one step away from the mash-ups. In fact while I was listening (outside) to that stabat mater I posted, then I thought of 2 other songs in the same key that actually could very much inspire a new song in that key if I let my brain play with it.

Reactions: Nannerl
#7 ·
Yes, usually.
I am fine with it, I like to imagine things that go with that music
Right now I have the opening of Revolutionary girl Utena in my head ^^ (someday I'll finish watching the series)

Reactions: Llyralen
#8 ·
for me, it's a distraction. when i'm studying, i suddenly feel the need to imagine that i'm a Rockstar 😞 with dancing, lights, backstage drama and everything...

i sing for about 15 minutes and then go back to what i was doing but i still have random music in my head, unless i'm in THE ZONE. nothing can disturb me then 🤗

#12 ·
I used to. I haven't really listened to music for a few months now, at least not like before. Kept statistics for a good 5 years almost religiously, and it's weird not to listen to that much music anymore. So there's almost none in my head anymore either. It's kind of nice, feels liberating.

#16 ·
I often create my own songs during my dreams and then forget them later.

I am actually quite musical though I don't own an instrument at the moment. I self taught guitar, but I never cared to play other's music so I created my own songs, and I have a ton of them. My singing is atrocious though, but I can write a good melody.

I don't own or play drums in real life, because I prob spaz out too much, but I can play drums to any song on my phone and do it right away without knowing how they are supposed to go.

I have an ear for music, and I would prob do pretty well on any name that tune type show, where I can prob name within the first few notes or beats.

If someone says something, and it's in a song, then I automatically start singing that song in my head the rest of the day.

#17 ·
Yes, right now :

I thought travelling would make me change the tune. Saw that movie 3 times in 72 hours and loved it.

Never used to have some kind of fantasy about cops. Or is it the Pacino Effect ?

I need to watch another Great one to stick another tune into my head. It is particularly sensual and does inspire mystery.

#18 ·
Basically always, 24/7. A lot of times a single word or phrase will trigger a song playing in my head. Sometimes one song will stay there for 2 or 3 days. But there's always one there for one reason or another. Rarely is it more than one but sometimes I do mix them like mentioned above in the thread, due to similar sounds. Sometimes it feels really random, sometimes I know exactly why it's there, like lately it's the song I am learning on piano.

#23 ·
When I am singing around the house my daughter sometimes gets mad at me because she says she then can’t think During it. She is an INTP. When I think about the brain scans I’ve seen Dario Nardi show about where Fi is flowing and where Ti is, the Fi is partially characterized in flow state when listening and processing emotion (which I would think is a part of music, although I will look into this more in general neuropsych). TI shows up as tight connections at the back of the brain— a different place entirely. Something for me to look into.

Reactions: Sinuous
#20 ·
It's said that people who can't sit in silence can't face their thoughts. And I've always wondered about that because for me, music helps me relax and when I'm relaxed my thoughts flow much better. @Sinuous said about wanting disctraction from thinking, but I have the opposite experience with music. I turn to it because it helps me think about things much better, it's a distraction from all the rest that's going on around me.

#21 ·
I heard about the study at UC Davis just yesterday after I posted this thread. Actually, I really wouldn’t characterize most of the music in my head as earworms. I think earworms sound more involuntary— a song you can’t get out. I feel like I have a fairly high degree of control if what songs are playing in my head— or maybe it’s that the word ear worm sounds like something involuntary or unwanted but the studies below show they are usually not unpleasant for people. I also saw something about OCD and unpleasant earworms. Well it’s all interesting.

#22 · (Edited)
I often do have music going in my head which is part of why I often don't bother to actually put music on. Much of the time whatever is in there is just fine. Usually it's classical or soundtracks that flow from one to another, perhaps not completing as they would if I were actually listening. I guess I don't have anything at the moment.

But I do get songs stuck in my head, usually from hearing a portion of them or hearing some words that are in the lyrics. It's certain songs that are really catchy, very rarely will a normally uncatchy song start looping in my head like that. There are some songs I would actually like if only they didn't stick every time I heard them - I have very little tollerance for repeitition in music. It's often Oldies that get stuck - by which I mean popular music from the 50's-70's (90's music will never be oldies, it may be 'old' but it needs a different name :p ). Also kidie songs will usually get stuck so I try to avoid hearing even a snippet of either of those, otherwise I'm in for some torture.

Going into stores can be hazzardous because if they happen to play one of those 'sticky' songs I could be stuck with it fora whole week and have trouble sleeping. Honestly. Some people think I'm doing my child a disservice by not teaching her all those childrens songs like old mcdonald, but honestly I'm going to be SUCH a grumpy mom if I have those things stuck in my head constantly.

#27 ·
I have music playing all the time

but no music in my head…none. I have no inner ear…meaning no inner voice. A lot of ppl with dyslexia have this problem. And yes as I mention i have dyslexia. Why I know this.

I can’t sound out words, even reading this sentence I must read aloud (mumble/whispe to myself), or I’m unable to read.

there is no sound in my mind…only pictures, I do all my thinking in pictures or feelings, tho I have great hearing…too good actually like I can hear my own heartbeat and I used to think it was the neighbors playing loud bass music, but I realize this in every place I moved to. I can also sometimes hear my sound of my blood flowing. I used my hearing to detect lies etc for others

but no sounds in my mind, only twice I’ve heard someone’s voice in my dreams (a dream character), that’s as close as I ever had a voice in my head. I don’t think I ever heard music in my dreams, tho there was the feeling of music in my dreams.

#29 ·
I wondered if this existed. Like Aphantasia but for sound and Aphantasia is basically a new thing to be studied. I heard Harvard is studying the “mind’s nose” right now. I have been very curious to know if this also existed for sound, Im so glad you are talking about it. Has anyone really asked you about it before? Would you be willing to talk about this more on my thread about which 5 senses can you imagine? It is a thread in the NF channel. I’d love to hear more about it.

Check these videos out about aphantasia. I’m not sure if there is a word yet for what is going on for you, but I would think people would want to study what this is like for you. Our brains are so interesting! I also think that there would be some compensation in the other senses in your mind? Like increased visuals? And how do emotions appear in your mind? I would love it if you put these in that 5 Senses thread, so I will thread bump you on that one.

#33 ·
These times I have music in my head only occasionally but it haunted me way much more when I was younger. Those times it also felt like it's real, although not too much has changed in this area over time. Idk what exactly has changed - maybe that I don't have any clear favourites nowadays any more. But over time I've developed some connection between listening to music and focusing when I work with computer: most of the time I'm heavily thinking while working, I'm listening to something - helps me shut off external world and makes easier to focus on my thoughts and their outcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.