Personality Cafe banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I heard about the study at UC Davis just yesterday after I posted this thread. Actually, I really wouldn’t characterize most of the music in my head as earworms. I think earworms sound more involuntary— a song you can’t get out. I feel like I have a fairly high degree of control if what songs are playing in my head— or maybe it’s that the word ear worm sounds like something involuntary or unwanted but the studies below show they are usually not unpleasant for people. I also saw something about OCD and unpleasant earworms. Well it’s all interesting.

I often do have music going in my head which is part of why I often don't bother to actually put music on. Much of the time whatever is in there is just fine. Usually it's classical or soundtracks that flow from one to another, perhaps not completing as they would if I were actually listening. I guess I don't have anything at the moment.

But I do get songs stuck in my head, usually from hearing a portion of them or hearing some words that are in the lyrics. It's certain songs that are really catchy, very rarely will a normally uncatchy song start looping in my head like that. There are some songs I would actually like if only they didn't stick every time I heard them - I have very little tollerance for repeitition in music. It's often Oldies that get stuck - by which I mean popular music from the 50's-70's (90's music will never be oldies, it may be 'old' but it needs a different name :p ). Also kidie songs will usually get stuck so I try to avoid hearing even a snippet of either of those, otherwise I'm in for some torture.

Going into stores can be hazzardous because if they happen to play one of those 'sticky' songs I could be stuck with it fora whole week and have trouble sleeping. Honestly. Some people think I'm doing my child a disservice by not teaching her all those childrens songs like old mcdonald, but honestly I'm going to be SUCH a grumpy mom if I have those things stuck in my head constantly.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
No... I have thoughts but turn to music when I want distraction.. from thinking
When I am singing around the house my daughter sometimes gets mad at me because she says she then can’t think During it. She is an INTP. When I think about the brain scans I’ve seen Dario Nardi show about where Fi is flowing and where Ti is, the Fi is partially characterized in flow state when listening and processing emotion (which I would think is a part of music, although I will look into this more in general neuropsych). TI shows up as tight connections at the back of the brain— a different place entirely. Something for me to look into.

Reactions: Sinuous
When I am singing around the house my daughter sometimes gets mad at me because she says she then can’t think During it. She is an INTP. When I think about the brain scans I’ve seen Dario Nardi show about where Fi is flowing and where Ti is, the Fi is partially characterized in flow state when listening and processing emotion (which I would think is a part of music, although I will look into this more in general neuropsych). TI shows up as tight connections at the back of the brain— a different place entirely. Something for me to look into.
Can you please share sources or articles?
I don’t know if it’s related to Ti or Fi but noise in the street or people talking is a huge obstacle that I face during studying. However, Lo-fi music helps with concentrating for me, but not always :s

Discussion starter · #25 ·
I don’t know if it’s related to Ti or Fi but noise in the street or people talking is a huge obstacle that I face during studying. However, Lo-fi music helps with concentrating for me, but not always :s
Give me a bit of time on that, but yes.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
This first one just shows (as far as I understand it) that neurospsychs do think music and emotional processing use a lot of the same processes.

This one talks about mirror neurons as part of emotion processing with music which is new to me and fascinating.

For Dario Nardi’s info on TI…there are some videos of him discussing flow state of each of the eight functions and showing what the brain patterns and connections during a consistent bunch of activities and tests looks like for each type. There is also a webinar on SP types that shows the brainwaves of each of the four SP types. I think I might just thread bump the thread I made. It would be the first PowerPoint/video (I think?) and then on the last or second to the last page of posts, the webinars for each type.

I have music playing all the time

but no music in my head…none. I have no inner ear…meaning no inner voice. A lot of ppl with dyslexia have this problem. And yes as I mention i have dyslexia. Why I know this.

I can’t sound out words, even reading this sentence I must read aloud (mumble/whispe to myself), or I’m unable to read.

there is no sound in my mind…only pictures, I do all my thinking in pictures or feelings, tho I have great hearing…too good actually like I can hear my own heartbeat and I used to think it was the neighbors playing loud bass music, but I realize this in every place I moved to. I can also sometimes hear my sound of my blood flowing. I used my hearing to detect lies etc for others

but no sounds in my mind, only twice I’ve heard someone’s voice in my dreams (a dream character), that’s as close as I ever had a voice in my head. I don’t think I ever heard music in my dreams, tho there was the feeling of music in my dreams.

Reactions: Llyralen
This first one just shows (as far as I understand it) that neurospsychs do think music and emotional processing use a lot of the same processes.

This one talks about mirror neurons as part of emotion processing with music which is new to me and fascinating.

For Dario Nardi’s info on TI…there are some videos of him discussing flow state of each of the eight functions and showing what the brain patterns and connections during a consistent bunch of activities and tests looks like for each type. There is also a webinar on SP types that shows the brainwaves of each of the four SP types. I think I might just thread bump the thread I made. It would be the first PowerPoint/video (I think?) and then on the last or second to the last page of posts, the webinars for each type.
I agree to the second one, pretty informative and had made sense to some already experienced stuff.
However the google scholar links don’t work, it shows this, if you may give me the title so I can search for it myself?

Meanwhile, I’ll check the other thread out.
Thank you for taking the time to share.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
I have music playing all the time

but no music in my head…none. I have no inner ear…meaning no inner voice. A lot of ppl with dyslexia have this problem. And yes as I mention i have dyslexia. Why I know this.

I can’t sound out words, even reading this sentence I must read aloud (mumble/whispe to myself), or I’m unable to read.

there is no sound in my mind…only pictures, I do all my thinking in pictures or feelings, tho I have great hearing…too good actually like I can hear my own heartbeat and I used to think it was the neighbors playing loud bass music, but I realize this in every place I moved to. I can also sometimes hear my sound of my blood flowing. I used my hearing to detect lies etc for others

but no sounds in my mind, only twice I’ve heard someone’s voice in my dreams (a dream character), that’s as close as I ever had a voice in my head. I don’t think I ever heard music in my dreams, tho there was the feeling of music in my dreams.
I wondered if this existed. Like Aphantasia but for sound and Aphantasia is basically a new thing to be studied. I heard Harvard is studying the “mind’s nose” right now. I have been very curious to know if this also existed for sound, Im so glad you are talking about it. Has anyone really asked you about it before? Would you be willing to talk about this more on my thread about which 5 senses can you imagine? It is a thread in the NF channel. I’d love to hear more about it.

Check these videos out about aphantasia. I’m not sure if there is a word yet for what is going on for you, but I would think people would want to study what this is like for you. Our brains are so interesting! I also think that there would be some compensation in the other senses in your mind? Like increased visuals? And how do emotions appear in your mind? I would love it if you put these in that 5 Senses thread, so I will thread bump you on that one.

I wondered if this existed. Like Aphantasia but for sound and Aphantasia is basically a new thing to be studied. I heard Harvard is studying the “mind’s nose” right now. I have been very curious to know if this also existed for sound, Im so glad you are talking about it. Has anyone really asked you about it before? Would you be willing to talk about this more on my thread about which 5 senses can you imagine? It is a thread in the NF channel. I’d love to hear more about it.
I will, but a little later, we’re having a heatwave, and even with the one AC unit running at high, it will not get cooler than 94 in my house, so I going to go get cool, jump in the ocean. But I will try tonight to reply back to ya. But I don’t remember them having a word for no inner sound…but it is link to dyslexia or I should say dyslexia has links to it.

Reactions: Llyralen
Discussion starter · #31 ·
I will, but a little later, we’re having a heatwave, and even with the one AC unit running at high, it will not get cooler than 94 in my house, so I going to go get cool, jump in the ocean. But I will try tonight to reply back to ya. But I don’t remember them having a word for no inner sound…but it is link to dyslexia or I should say dyslexia has links to it.
I wonder if you live close to where I do. Ocean and a unusually crazy heat wave.

These times I have music in my head only occasionally but it haunted me way much more when I was younger. Those times it also felt like it's real, although not too much has changed in this area over time. Idk what exactly has changed - maybe that I don't have any clear favourites nowadays any more. But over time I've developed some connection between listening to music and focusing when I work with computer: most of the time I'm heavily thinking while working, I'm listening to something - helps me shut off external world and makes easier to focus on my thoughts and their outcome.

I'm one of those idiots who goes around in circles thinking about music and even walking in rhythm to whistle something and even physical gestures when in my mind it gets to an exciting part, totally a clown.
I have alot of music in my brain tho , since i play the piano i know classical and jazz music

In my case, I am sensitive to noise and listening to music does not relax me at all, since I start to analyze unconsciously.
Classical music is generally much more complex than the others, impossible to concentrate if I can't stop analyzing it.
The sounds of nature do relax me ... birds, waves, etc.
Sometimes the birds sing extremely complex things and I laugh to myself, because of how incredible it is.

To really listen to music (analyzing the structure and harmonic relationships) is something totally complex and to play it even more.

But I think it is something that can be developed, in fact the inner imagination totally affects the sound you produce.

First time I read about aphantasia , using my experience that's tragic for anyone who plays an instrument... it's like being tone deaf .

In my experience , the earworms in musicians are much bigger than a regular person , instead of picking up 2 bars , musicians have several works inside their heads and they care about the development of ideas ( and all the physical and mental mastery included ).

The great geniuses of music had universes inside their heads.

I believe that the musical tradition has a better handle on how we understand sound compared to science, they are just now proving that improvisation turns on the parts of language and creativity (sound is used as a language).

Also the musical tradition believes that this is something that anyone can develop, the brain transforms when you study music.

Yeah, i often get music playing in my head a lot. No suprises there really, as i listen to it all the time.
Annoyingly it tends to be a segment on repeat though.
What i do find intriguing is when a really random song pops in my head that i havent heard in years, and more often then not, dont even like, for what would seem no apparent reason on rare occasions.
I remembers years ago, someone telling me that you can pick up radio waves through your fillings, and that radio waves from years past are forever bouncing around the earth.
Whilst ive never taken this seriously, is does make me wonder if somehow you can occationally tune in somehow.
Though more than likely its just a neuron bouncing around a cul-de-sac waiting for something to trigger the gate.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.