Personality Cafe banner

Do you view your mind in its entirety to be housed within your brain?

• Yes

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 12.5%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you view your mind in its entirety to be housed within your brain? Or perhaps the complete nervous system...

Or do you view your mind as something separate from the physical? And if so to what degree?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I think my consciousness is entirely the result of physical processes, but no, I don't think it's housed entirely within my brain.

When I zone out and go on auto pilot, i can feel my consciousness expand around my head. it's definitely larger than what my skull could allow.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Heraclitus is known to have written, “If you went in search of it, you would not find the boundaries of the soul, though you travelled every road—so deep is its measure.”

Heraclitus had never encountered tampons, which suffices to explain his ignorance.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
one activity I want to do before I die is plant a treasure hunt / scavenger hunt into my will, then hand clues to various people.

if they die with the clue, then my little project is all for naught.

if they don't cooperate, then my little project is all for naught.

if they succeed, then they'll fight to the death with splitting the rewards.

it's all great to have greedy friends.

oh wait.. we're talking about the mind, right? my mind is like a labyrinth of trolling resources and sarcasm that when combined with people, they'll want to battle each other to the death with. =D

I'm such an instigator. *plotplotplot*

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
In philosophy the mane theories on the stated subject are the
-Body theory
-Illusionary theory
-Soul theory
-memory theory.
Since I'm a Determinist, I believe that the mind is completely subject to the brain, and only as free as the brain/body allows us to be. I've written an essay on these theories and the body theory seems to hold the most true. So Yes and Maybe. I clicked Maybe because I'm not 100% sure, I'm not 100% of a lot of things.

·
Registered
115 Posts
What do you consider the soul to be? would perhaps be the more appropriate question.
How so? If the soul is defined as the "essence" or source of concussions then the "what"is already answered, I am much more interested in the why, as it may help me evolve my own "knowledge" or at the very least give me a peak into the thought processes of those that do.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
How so? If the soul is defined as the "essence" or source of concussions then the "what"is already answered, I am much more interested in the why, as it may help me evolve my own "knowledge" or at the very least give me a peak into the thought processes of those that do.
I don't think that the “what” needs to be answered in that particular way. Additionally, this definition is rather vague. What exactly is the “essence” of our consciousness, and what makes it any more worthy of consideration as “the soul” than that of our other faculties, such as our subconscious, or our appetite, or our moral sense? One could even go so far as to ask what is meant by “consciousness”.

The soul, broadly speaking, is defined as the immaterial portion of a human being (this I gathered from the dictionary). But this immediately raises a number of questions; for instance: over what parts of our will does the soul exhibit any sort of influence; or is the soul the very thing that effects our will? is the soul simply an embodiment of ourselves which resides in the spiritual world, if such a thing exists? if not, does there exist a material analog for the soul, or is it a different part of us altogether, as opposed to merely being an “essence”? does the soul exist in the objective sense, or is it merely something we like to contrive as a means of understanding ourselves, that is, a way of drawing together the various properties which comprise us? can the soul itself be divided into parts? is the soul at all immortal, or does it cease to exist at the same moment at which our bodies undergo this same cessation?

The soul is a very equivocal idea, and different people have taken widely differing stances on what it actually means. Resolving the ambiguities of the “what” may even give us a greater insight into the “why”; hence my opinion that this would be the better place to start.

Reactions: Heyoka

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I believe in a soul, but I think we have to distinguish "mind" from "consciousness" or "intellect." My brain is perfectly capable of performing tasks and calculations, of making me feel certain misleading emotions, and being self-aware to a degree. However, there are things that I desire that have NOTHING to do with what my body or my brain want. There are things that I do which my brain says are illogical and my body says are bad, but I know to be the right thing to do. There are desires and passions in me that have nothing to do with my experiences, with what the people around me are doing, my emotions or my reason. The more I let go and acknowledge the things which my brain and body reject, the more I understand.

I fear that some people are limited by what their brains can think, but not all of us have to be.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I don't think that the “what” needs to be answered in that particular way. Additionally, this definition is rather vague. What exactly is the “essence” of our consciousness, and what makes it any more worthy of consideration as “the soul” than that of our other faculties, such as our subconscious, or our appetite, or our moral sense? One could even go so far as to ask what is meant by “consciousness”.

The soul, broadly speaking, is defined as the immaterial portion of a human being (this I gathered from the dictionary). But this immediately raises a number of questions; for instance: over what parts of our will does the soul exhibit any sort of influence; or is the soul the very thing that effects our will? is the soul simply an embodiment of ourselves which resides in the spiritual world, if such a thing exists? if not, does there exist a material analog for the soul, or is it a different part of us altogether, as opposed to merely being an “essence”? does the soul exist in the objective sense, or is it merely something we like to contrive as a means of understanding ourselves, that is, a way of drawing together the various properties which comprise us? can the soul itself be divided into parts? is the soul at all immortal, or does it cease to exist at the same moment at which our bodies undergo this same cessation?

The soul is a very equivocal idea, and different people have taking widely differing stances on what it actually means. Resolving the ambiguities of the “what” may even give us a greater insight into the “why”; hence my opinion that this would be the better place to start.
I am curious to know, have you ever experimented with lucid dreaming or astral projection?

Reactions: Polymaniac

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I am curious to know, have you ever experimented with lucid dreaming or astral projection?
I vaguely remember there being some cases in which I've had lucid dreams, but I'm not at all acquainted with astral projection.

Reactions: Heyoka
1 - 20 of 21 Posts