Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. So I am basically trying to type someone's cognitive functions based on their behaviors and preferences. So sue me. Anyway, I think this person may be an ENTP but the football watching has me confused.

Last night I went out with someone who I think was an ENTP. At first when I met him, I thought ENFP just because he could run with me mentally and go with me on my humor. However, I have been with an ENTP before. So in retrospect all the signs are there: It was non-stop laughter, we did outrageous things (why the hell was I in a parking lot wearing gigantic man slippers in the middle of the night?), our minds went everywhere, neither of us got offended when we insulted each other, and we woke up with hangovers. It felt like we knew no boundaries when we were together. For me, this is how I always felt when I was with an ENTP before. I haven't tried it but I"m sure it's similar to a crack cocaine high. The very familiar "damn what the hell last night??"

I tried to give him an online MBTI test but he was effing around with it the whole time so I think it came out skewed. He got "INTP" and I think there is no way in hell. He's an entrepreneur and is always "thinking up" new dream businesses. He deals with the public a lot and says some really outrageous things. Yeah, it feels very similar.

Anyway, all day today he was glued to the t.v. and watching football. That part confused me. Does Ne allow for that sort of thing? Do ENTPs actually watch football on t.v. and do things like pick Fantasy Football and bet? I have not heard of this. Please tell me if any of you are into watching football. I'm going to go insane typing this person. He is being such a jackass making fun of the whole concept so it's difficult. (And I mean that in a loving sense). :tongue:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if, by the mere fact that he made fun of the test, he's an ENTP.
Yes I watch sports sometimes. They're really fast-paced and exciting.
Really if we're obsessed with something, we can become surprisingly focused, spending hours at a time on that one particular thing. When I'm in that hyperfocused mode, I can be pretty irritable so be careful. But other than that you're in for loads of fun!! :D
I wouldn't absolutely throw out the INTP idea though. They are a blast to have around and are pretty darn similar to us.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I don't watch sports at all. However, my entp friend does not miss a Steeler's game. He even knows the plays they're going to make in advance. I don't think watching sports really factors into our personality type.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I do. But the one that uses foot (not hand) with a ball most of the time. God I miss the World Cup already :sad:. Well, at least there the Rugby World Cup next year.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think watching sports really factors into our personality type.
Neither do I. However, the sport watching might be more about watching for his numbers so he can win. I don't know how that stuff works.

But he didn't shout at the t.v. like my ESFJ ex would. That was a good thing.

He also was bidding for a freaking coffee filter on ebay. Who the hell bids on ebay? I mean it was an expensive type of filter but I would have just gone on Amazon and purchased something I wanted right away. I wouldn't watch for emails all day telling me if my bid won or whatever.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Neither do I. However, the sport watching might be more about watching for his numbers so he can win. I don't know how that stuff works.

But he didn't shout at the t.v. like my ESFJ ex would. That was a good thing.

He also was bidding for a freaking coffee filter on ebay. Who the hell bids on ebay? I mean it was an expensive type of filter but I would have just gone on Amazon and purchased something I wanted right away. I wouldn't watch for emails all day telling me if my bid won or whatever.
My entp friend shouts at the t.v. I sit there and go "meh" and keep surfing the Internet.

None of us bid on ebay though. I've wanted to try it but the back of my mind says its kind of inefficient. I'll spend too much time bidding for a trivial price when I could buy it and not worry anymore.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I only like watching various martial arts, freestyle winter sports or other things that are 'free style', and association football.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should also mention he doesn't do it for numbers. He just loves football.
Okay then. So it's possible. That's what I need to hear. I was wondering just how common it was with ENTPs. My mind is rejecting it.

I was the one surfing the net while he was watching it too. I think he was getting a little annoyed with how much technology I had to constantly have around me. That is not a type thing, that is a guy thing in my experience.

·
Registered
ESFJ
642 Posts
I find most sports boring to watch...definitely football is boring. I like baseball until halfway through the game, and I start wandering around the stadium out of boredom. I like golf, but I'd rather play it.

Hockey and basketball are great because they are so fast paced--it's never boring.

But, I never watch sports on tv. I must be there in person to see it.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I find most sports boring to watch...definitely football is boring. I like baseball until halfway through the game, and I start wandering around the stadium out of boredom. I like golf, but I'd rather play it.

Hockey and basketball are great because they are so fast paced--it's never boring.

But, I never watch sports on tv. I must be there in person to see it.
Wow. This is very much like me. I could never sit my ass down to watch a game. Basketball perhaps the only one.

My brain still doesn't want to wrap around football. Even when I go to the games. :confused:

Reactions: agokcen

·
Registered
ESFJ
642 Posts
Wow. This is very much like me. I could never sit my ass down to watch a game. Basketball perhaps the only one.

My brain still doesn't want to wrap around football. Even when I go to the games. :confused:
Oh, I went to a football game once, and I fell asleep in the blazing hot sun. x_x It also happened to turn out to be one of the longest football games, historically. Just my luck. LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old post but I just wanted to put my two cents in. I love (almost to the point of obsession) watching football. That's all I do on Sundays. Not to sure if it really has anything to do with being a ENTP but I do know that the more you know what's going on (players, rules, plays, schemes, etc.) the more interesting the game is. Maybe the fact that every week is something completely different is why I like it so much.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
I love sports but to watch it i need to be into it and my favorite team has to be playing or my favorite player. Also I love the olympics. I have always said if you see the best of any sport playing you can't help and be mesmerized, i'd go further and say watching anyone who's good at something perform his trade is inspiring in a sense.

Since I grew up watching real football and here in the U.S. people are so found of making fun of it I came up with my own little nickname for american football *rolls drum* French soccer! Ah the faces people make when I go excuse me, what is the score of this french soccer game are simply priceless......

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would rather play a sport than watch it. I usually think the people competing are having more fun than me if I'm just sat there watching them. Being at a live match with all the fans might be more exciting though.

I'm fussy about what I watch on TV in general though.

·
Banned
210 Posts
Sometimes I watch sports just to observe how people interact, to feel the "energy". I like watching major events like World Cup final because it's fun to see how things unfold in an event that excites billions of people around the globe. But every time I did this I was disappointed, because even after watching I still could not understand why most people were so into something so uninteresting and shallow. But again I love to feel the "energy" so the next time there's a really huge sport event I might still watch it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts