ENFP 2w3 sp/so
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question to all types.

Β·
Registered
6,856 Posts
No.

Under pressure we reinforce ourselves, our habits. We learn to repeat faster what we already know. Hence we fail at tackling new problems. Ever heard of a brutal dictator who contributes to raise the level of science by bullying everyone? All it achieves is to shift their focus on that new threat.

Working under pressure is maintenance. It doesn't come up with better solutions, one just becomes more able to live with the problem. So is it really work?

Β·
Registered
ENFP 2w3 sp/so
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Under pressure we reinforce ourselves, our habits. We learn to repeat faster what we already know. Hence we fail at tackling new problems. Ever heard of a brutal dictator who contributes to raise the level of science by bullying everyone? All it achieves is to shift their focus on that new threat.

Working under pressure is maintenance. It doesn't come up with better solutions, one just becomes more able to live with the problem. So is it really work?
I like this answer.
I've never thought of it this way, you're absolutely right!

@Eugenia Shepherd
Under pressure, you never rise to the occasion.
You sink to the level of your training.

Slick signature. Also true.
This is now one of my favorite quotes!

Reactions: Eugenia Shepherd

Β·
Registered
15,335 Posts
Very much - if anything I work best under pressure- what about you

enfp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Β·
Registered
ENFP 2w3 sp/so
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very much - if anything I work best under pressure- what about you

enfp
I'm more efficient under pressure. The stress causes me to stop getting distracted, and I'd work for continuous sessions until things get done. Of course, this isn't the best thing to do because it's nerve-racking.
I'm trying to change and be more disciplined, but for some reason everything become's interesting and distracts me hahaha!

Let's say I have an architectural history midterm and a design submission.
I'd plan a schedule and start studying immediately. After a while I'd get sidetracked and start researching about related topics such as ancient civilizations. I'd then jump to artifacts, arts, politics, fiction, etc. and the next thing I know I'm 2 hours behind schedule πŸ˜…

Β·
Registered
INFP 6w5 629
1,039 Posts
I'm more efficient under pressure. The stress causes me to stop getting distracted, and I'd work for continuous sessions until things get done. Of course, this isn't the best thing to do because it's nerve-racking.
I'm trying to change and be more disciplined, but for some reason everything become's interesting and distracts me hahaha!

I'd plan a schedule and start studying immediately. After a while I'd get sidetracked and start researching about related topics such as ancient civilizations. I'd then jump to artifacts, arts, politics, fiction, etc. and the next thing I know I'm 2 hours behind schedule πŸ˜…
Oh that's a good point. I do good work at all stages and finish the tasks that I want to do just as well without pressure, but definitely more focused with a deadline. I might have learned about the resilience of tree bark, made posts on the forums, and studied about computer peripherals in three hours... or I could have studied computer peripherals in one hour. It's good to break up learning into 15-minute intervals (a study was done on human attention span), but taking too long of a break leads me to do too many things... I should get back to studying :x

Β·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 594
733 Posts
As long as I have a plan or a framework in place, I tend to work better when I’m under pressure.
I focus less on how I feel, and more so on how efficiently I can get something done.

I hate being under pressure, but my best work comes from it lol

Reactions: passionate

Β·
Registered
ENFP 2w3 sp/so
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh that's a good point. I do good work at all stages and finish the tasks that I want to do just as well without pressure, but definitely more focused with a deadline. I might have learned about the resilience of tree bark, made posts on the forums, and studied about computer peripherals in three hours... or I could have studied computer peripherals in one hour. It's good to break up learning into 15-minute intervals (a study was done on human attention span), but taking too long of a break leads me to do too many things... I should get back to studying :x
Absolutely, totally agreed!
Breaks are necessary in order to not exhaust ourselves, keep a clear mind and focus better. But if there were many distractions during the beginning of the task, there wont be time for breaks later (a.k.a. suffering LOL).

As long as I have a plan or a framework in place, I tend to work better when I’m under pressure.
I focus less on how I feel, and more so on how efficiently I can get something done.

I hate being under pressure, but my best work comes from it lol
Same here!
You know, one semester my professor kept pressuring me. He set high expectations and pushed me to my limit. That entire semester I was working under pressure (mostly due to his expectations + my self-criticism, then there's the workload). At some points, I would start crying mid-work but didn't even have the time and energy to wipe my tears hahahaha!!
I learned and produced a lot, but it was too stressful.

I wish you both all the best with your studies! ✨

Β·
Registered
ISFP
2,538 Posts
Pretty much everything you said right here is how it is for me.

Β·
Registered
ENFP 2w3 sp/so
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reactions: YearseRayneDon

Β·
exploring space
ENFP
9,345 Posts

Yea, deadlines getting close can make one more "efficient", but personally my best work has never been in these situations but when I started earlier and had the time to think and do more research. So, while it may seem more efficient it's actually subpar to what can be achieved. And by that I don't necessarily mean the grades, which is a bonus, but the actual learning process that's overall better when one has the time to consider what they're learning instead of rushing to meet the goal of the deadline. Which is why I wrote "efficient" coz this efficiency is an illusion.

I never had to make plans, all I had to do was start with the material and then get sucked into it. I think that may be an issue, at least with NPs, when they're in college, they think they have to make punctual timetables of how they're gonna work when that's totally not how their brains work, or what they need. You just have to start early so you can have enough time to go through all those extra jumps that make it all worthy in the end and not the grade or even the diploma.

Β·
Registered
ENFP 2w3 sp/so
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nope I don't, it's only acceptable if I already know what I have to do & how to do it (which is not very fun)
Totally agreed, it’s not fun at all

I never had to make plans, all I had to do was start with the material and then get sucked into it. I think that may be an issue, at least with NPs, when they're in college, they think they have to make punctual timetables of how they're gonna work when that's totally not how their brains work, or what they need. You just have to start early so you can have enough time to go through all those extra jumps that make it all worthy in the end and not the grade or even the diploma.
You’re really awesome! Thank you for sharing that. I aspire to do what you do when working on my assignments. After all, taking time to properly digest what we’re learning is more important than just submitting it ✨

Reactions: Red Panda

Β·
Registered
ENTP 8w7 sx/so
946 Posts
Yes, but probably because I am a procrastinator.

Β·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Nope, I've always been absolutely horrible under pressure, and gone far out of my way to avoid it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts