Personality Cafe banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
A Constant Riddle
166 Posts
Yes-something about pressure is magical. It unleashes the goal oriented, unbridled side of me and ignites a fire inside of me for perfection. Even though I do deeply care about and revere hard work, and the flaming desire for perfection always exists inside of me, it only ignites under pressure. I truly believe it is my desire for perfection itself that prompts me to wait until the end-my thoughts have been knotted in a way that believes I can only succeed to the best of my ability if I wait until the last moment, because I conflate pressure with quality, and I am terrified that if I work early, it won't harness the most of my potential. It's an incredibly twisted mindset and I'm trying to battle it, but, maybe later-:D

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Yes. No pressure= my mind wanders constantly to things that interest me more. I can be interested in whatever it is & I'll still lose focus. "Having to" do something puts me off. My brain relates it to boooooring & rebels against it. I also think I'm far more creative when under pressure. It's the opposite of what some have said in this thread- my brain expands to more (related) possibilities because I'm finally hyper-focused on the topic.

An observation: Every SJ I know loathes procrastination. There seems to be a need to get something done just to get it done, often not caring too much if they've done a good (or maybe the best is better wording) job. I see this frequently, esp with my ISFJ friends/family & ESFJ husband whom i drive bonkers. He does things immediately, doesn't care too much about the quality. I wait until the last minute & care too much about the quality. This desire for perfection may be the biggest thing that leads me to procrastinate. I want it done as best as it can be done, which overwhelms me because there are so many possibilities. Soooo logically I put it off.🥴😑

Finally, regardless of when I start a project, I'll keep "fixing" it until the last minute. If I start early, (which I actually usually do) I can't stop thinking that there's something better than what I'm doing. That I'm missing something. Knowing that even when I start early I'll think what I come up with is junk & change it anyway makes me feel justified in procrastinating. 🙄 I saw a meme once that said something along the lines of "I'm a perfectionist that likes to procrastinate. Some day I'm going to be awesome." Uncomfortably relatable.

·
Registered
ENFP 2w3 sp/so
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I wait until the last minute & care too much about the quality. This desire for perfection may be the biggest thing that leads me to procrastinate. I want it done as best as it can be done, which overwhelms me because there are so many possibilities. Soooo logically I put it off.🥴😑

Finally, regardless of when I start a project, I'll keep "fixing" it until the last minute. If I start early, (which I actually usually do) I can't stop thinking that there's something better than what I'm doing. That I'm missing something. Knowing that even when I start early I'll think what I come up with is junk & change it anyway makes me feel justified in procrastinating. 🙄 I saw a meme once that said something along the lines of "I'm a perfectionist that likes to procrastinate. Some day I'm going to be awesome." Uncomfortably relatable.
I relate to you in a spiritual level!
Being a perfectionist is the biggest excuse for procrastination by the way. And what’s horrible about it is that whenever a little detail is off about a project, perfectionism would slap in and make us waste more time on a minor detail that no one would notice.
Sometimes I put off projects just because I remember how painful perfectionism is.. “no not now, don’t have the energy to deal with that demon” 😅

·
Premium Member
15,241 Posts
In college I'd wait till the last minute, write the paper the night it was due, hated the "pressure", swear I would never do it again and then the cycle would repeat. Over and over.

I was going to respond, at first, that I won't complete something, unless under extreme threat or pressure. Only then will I finally move on something, otherwise it just sits and sits.

But then.... I hate pressure of any kind. So, I'm not sure. I hate pressure but it's the only way I'll stop my playing and write that paper.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Sometimes I put off projects just because I remember how painful perfectionism is.. “no not now, don’t have the energy to deal with that demon” 😅
oh hello yes I do this too

I was curious about this so I went to google. Came across this article, not sure how reputable it is as I know nothing about the author/website. So really I shouldn’t be posting it.😬 But I did find it interesting & it gave me a lot to think about in regards to why I behave this way. It also supported some things others had mentioned earlier in this thread that I’m going to have to think about/figure out if my perception is mistaken. Jibber jabber ANYWAY, here’s the article:Breaking the Perfectionism–Procrastination Infinite Loop.

27C10A47-B4F9-4382-B7D4-66B6F6337855.png
I found this section very applicable for myself & it really struck a nerve

·
MOTM June 2015
4,378 Posts
That's the way it usually ends up.

I have a tendency to procrastinate and frequently find myself feeling under pressure and rushing to get things done on time. I struggle to be motivated when I feel like I have plenty of time. I usually intend to get things done early so I won't have to perform under pressure the next time. Unfortunately, I find myself repeating this pattern again and again.

·
Registered
359 Posts
oh hello yes I do this too

I was curious about this so I went to google. Came across this article, not sure how reputable it is as I know nothing about the author/website. So really I shouldn’t be posting it.😬 But I did find it interesting & it gave me a lot to think about in regards to why I behave this way. It also supported some things others had mentioned earlier in this thread that I’m going to have to think about/figure out if my perception is mistaken. Jibber jabber ANYWAY, here’s the article:Breaking the Perfectionism–Procrastination Infinite Loop.

That pretty much explains it.

View attachment 867362
I found this section very applicable for myself & it really struck a nerve

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Yes, of course. It's a tautology that people do, so answers to the contrary are incorrect in my opinion.

The trick IS NOT about pressure yes or no. The trick is about how much and why.

The central concept is Flow as shown here:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Well, yes. I think in general and for all types. It's a human thing, not a type thing.
All this debate of "is it better to work under pressure or organise your life?" starts from the fact that they are both true.
It is better to work under pressure than work under no pressure, it makes you more efficient and motivated.
It is better to organise your life than not organise your life, you take control of your life and will overall accomplish more.

But if you organise your life then you will rarely work under pressure so people get the false feeling that they have lost something significant by not having to work under pressure anymore, that they have lost a big boost of energy.
When in fact, the ability to work better under pressure is a last measure resort, an escape plan, the back-up salvation, it's not supposed to be the norm.

When you're close to out of gas you'll be more careful with driving the car and with your speed, that doesn't mean you are supposed to always be close to out of gas. It's just a safety measure.

How to organise your life then?
The best way I found is one of the simplest ones because it's easy to follow, by dividing your life in literally physical areas.
It's one that is designed to be flexible yet also keep you organised so you can overall accomplish more.
First: accept that you will mess up, accept that you will fail, accept that you won't always keep up and do what you proposed yourself to do, it's part of it. Keep going. It's better to do 50% than 1%. Even 10% is better than 1%.

All people have 24 hours.
Most people work more or less 8 hours a day, the rest, including sleep, is free time.
What you do in that free time decides how you organise your life.

You split that free time in 4 literally physical areas: sleep area, play area, workout area, creation area.
You take 4 sections of your house and split them that way.
  • One zone specifically for sleep.
  • One zone specifically for play.
  • One zone specifically for workout.
  • One zone specifically for creation.
It doesn't have to be a room, just a zone.
You can make more zones if you feel like it, but these 4 are essential.
Try not to overlap the zones, keep the sleeping zone (your bed) only for sleeping, watch a move from the couch, so that your brain will start to create a reflex for what he is supposed to do when in that zone.
Be productive but keep yourself confortable, otherwise you might push yourself too hard and quit.

The sleep area:
  • Decide a time when you go to sleep and a time when you wake up.
  • Ideally about 8 hours, between 10 - 2 PM/AM and 6 - 10 AM.
  • You don't gain more time if you stay up late, as you will also sleep until later.
  • If you can't sleep, go watch a movie.
  • If after the movie and after 30 minutes of lying in bed you still can't sleep, leave the area, take a break of 15 minutes, then go back to sleep.
The play area:
  • Make a clear playlist with what music, videos or series you are going to watch.
  • Include things that while fun you know are also good for you in the long-term, such as going out in a park.
The workout area:
  • Depending on how dedicated you want to be, it can range from half an hour to even 4 hours.
  • You can also include running if you want, or only running, depending on your workout goals.
  • Find an app or a workout training program that gives you a clear list of what you're supposed to do.
  • Cover all your body: biceps, triceps, chest, abs, back, legs. You can do 1 a day, 2 a day or 3 a day.
  • If you want muscles, few repetitions with big weights, if you want to get fit, many repetitions with smaller weights.
  • Sweat shows how hard you're working.
The creation area:
  • Ideally about 2 hours, you can make it 1 hour or more hours.
  • This is your personal project, when you work on yourself, whether it's a career skillset learning or literal arts.
  • This is that thing you always wanted to do because it's good for you but always found better things to do.
  • If you're a student, this can include but not limited to study, homeworks and school projects in general.
  • This one is too specific, it depends on the person, but just like the rest, create a clear plan for what you do here.
  • If you don't feel like creating or have no ideas, take a 15 minutes break, leave that area, go somewhere else, then go back.
In total, out of 16 free hours, you have: 8 for sleep, 2 for creation, half an hour for workout and 5 and a half for play.
You can of course adapt this how you like to your own style and goals, increase or decrease some but keep the minimum for each.
You will of course have events that will make you break this program one day or two, exceptions are allowed.
The important thing is to be consistent on average, that the exception does not become the rule.

Sleep is recommended between 10 - 2 PM/AM and 6 - 10 AM because the "night owl" and "morning bird" stereotypes are true to some extent. Some people have a natural clock at 10 PM - 6 AM, others at a 2 AM - 10 AM, others are somewhere in between.
It also depends on what kind of work you have, obviously your job takes priority over your favoruite sleep pattern.
But there are no studies to show that someone has a natural clock later than 2 AM - 10 AM so if you're used to go to sleep at 5 AM that is not your biological way, your nature, even by a long shot, it's just how you made a habbit.

Apart from sleep, you can choose what area you go to at what time, and no "five minutes later" thing.
There is no predetermined order for the zones, you pick what order is best for you, the important thing is to do all of them.
You can do play - workout - creation, or creation - play - workout, or workout - creation - play. It's your call of what and when.

I hope this helps. It's easier and a lot better than classical "to do" lists. And you are allowed exceptions, the important thing is that the exception does not become the rule. And you'll be a lot less under pressure.

·
Registered
*NFP 852 Intellectual ambivert, amphibian, empath, strategist, mystical, anarchist, weird stuff
128 Posts
Nope. And I never will.
I need calm, time and SPACE. Trust. Silence. Pressure isn't part of my vocabulary. I wouldn't do it to others so why accepting it ?
For the sake of...productivity ? That is terrible !

I'm very sensitive to stress, pressure would make me just less efficient or give up.
Same thing on the road with people trying to "control my speed". I immediately slow down.

One day a woman felt pissed off with me on the road, and at the next stoplight she went off of her car to yell at my window !
To me this is already an intrusion, and a big one !
She said, feeling in her full rights :
"Hey maybe you're on holidays but IIIII AM WORKING !!"
I answered peacefully (but inside I was boiling) staring at her : "Well I'm working too, I'm a cop, maybe you wanna be more respectful now, unless you want me to take your name down"
She went back to her car, still yelling and totally out of control.

Creative ideas come to me under stress, to defend myself only. I suddenly become able to lie under pressure. Stupid lies just to make things more fun and to remain disconnected from stupidity.
Whereas one of my best values is honesty.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts