Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a runner since I was a teenager and always enjoyed it...But the gym was much harder. My issue was multidimensional: I didn't like the culture I saw of grunting, yelling at your "spot partner", combined with what appeared to be judgment vs. newcomers. Beyond that, when I finished running I FELT accomplished as if I'd done serious exercise: out of breath, lots of sweat, legs that got sore within minutes.

However, gym results are slower. Sure, you feel sore (often the next day or two) but being muscular was less of an appeal than the cardiovascular health of running and the feeling of instant results, whether or not they were there.

How about you?

9,999 Posts
I prefer gyms but mostly because I'm not built for endurance sports like running. I only go when I know my gym will be near empty though, usually early in the morning. Would love to have my own gym so I don't need to mingle with disgustingly athletic people :tongue:

Reactions: tarmonk and Moby

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would love to have my own gym so I don't need to mingle with disgustingly athletic people :tongue:
The only gym I've ever gone to is the one my company opened up at our facility where I work. I tried to find a time where I was alone but now it's too popular. Even when it's coworkers who are borderline friends, it's still uncomfortable to be honest.

9,999 Posts
The only gym I've ever gone to is the one my company opened up at our facility where I work. I tried to find a time where I was alone but now it's too popular. Even when it's coworkers who are borderline friends, it's still uncomfortable to be honest.
I decide when I work as I work from home so I can go out when everyone else is busy working, generally at 9am-ish. There's usually just 2-3 people at my gym when I'm there, if that. Sometimes it's just me. I've never been particularly fit, I'm just there to keep my body somewhat alive. I wish they'd turn the music off, it's so loud that you need serious wattage in your headphones to drown it out. Pumping music does nothing for me, I don't seem to be able to "tap into adrenaline" at all - I usually listen to an audiobook while working out.

Reactions: Moby and tarmonk

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Weight lifting. It's better in the beginning since you can track your progress via the weight plates added to the bar workout by workout. Really cool when a weight considered big and challenging in the past suddenly becomes part of your warmup set. Assuming proper form and knowing the feeling associated with a proper muscle contraction and all that, everything in life feels a little easier as you get stronger. Get muscular shouldn't be the end goal, although that can become a passion later down the line.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,106 Posts
I am interested in general athleticism, for longevity and good health above all, so I try to do enough of everything to get better in the general aspect. That means aerobics, strength, mobility and flexibility. I wanna be able to move in all ways with ease (hang, upside down, etc), to maintain health in my joints, ligaments and have a strong body. Also muscle mass is important for me so that I can maintain lean body weight which has been difficult due to my past health issues & habits.

I'm rather new to this because my relationship to fitness started late as I was suffering from hypothyroidism in my adolescence-late teens and exerting myself made me almost faint. When I got that better I also had to treat my depression and anxiety so it was a very very slow process of starting to meet my movement needs and beating my sedentary habits that developed over the previous years. I also developed neck-arm issues due to a weak back and bad posture which I've been treating slowly with exercise over the last few years and it's working. Looking back I never felt I could be where I am now even (and I'm still pretty noob) but I had to trust my instincts and keep doing it.

Improving is a slow process but life lasts long and the more we do it the more life we have, and better health. It's not a matter of meeting a goal and stopping, it's a matter of habits and maintaining them in the long term.

I'll end my post with some awesome Ido Portal (ENTP)

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,106 Posts
Weight lifting. It's better in the beginning since you can track your progress via the weight plates added to the bar workout by workout. Really cool when a weight considered big and challenging in the past suddenly becomes part of your warmup set. Assuming proper form and knowing the feeling associated with a proper muscle contraction and all that, everything in life feels a little easier as you get stronger. Get muscular shouldn't be the end goal, although that can become a passion later down the line.
weight lifting definitely feels nicer to me than running too, I only run to catch the bus :p
But that's mostly because running hurts, it's too high impact and I have a pinched nerve, tho from what I've gathered from health/athletic pros over the years, running is not the best idea for anyone, especially if it's too often

the sense of accomplishment comes so quick with weight lifting, it can be anything from an added weight to an added rep/set or just feeling u can move the weight easier than last time
and since I'm newb I'm still in the process of learning to activate some muscles so it's still quite fun

This lady promotes walking by activating the glutes at each step, something which people in Africa do and have healthier spines (along with other habits ofc). I've been doing this for the past year+ and my pinched nerve gives me much less trouble.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Currently only thing which qualifies as excercising is walking for me :) Never was good at running during school times although I dealed with wrestling daily and had good shape in overall but when I choose my own tempo, I can run too. There's weird coincidence that weight lifting in gym always tends to end with muscle injury at some point thus I've not tried it again since couple of years ago it happened again and took long time to recover. But in overall I guess my body build is more suitable for weights than for fast paced movement related sports.

I'd love to deal with swimming more but I don't like the crowds which are usually present in indoor pools and I live in country which has high enough latitude so unfortunately most of the year outdoors swimming is out of question. But when it's possible, it's very cool to swim over lake or just stay in the middle of it without any persons nearby :)

Reactions: Moby

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I like cardio because it changes your state more and makes you feel calm and centred. I like weights better long-term because they are more fun, don't take as long (during sets not resting in between) you can see tangible results and it changes your body chemicals increasing your testosterone which makes you feel amazing.

Plus, every single time you hit a tiny PR (like even if it's one rep more) you're basically reinforcing to yourself that you are capable of anything if you are consistent enough. Plus weights encourage you to improve your nutrition which makes you feel great, not saying running can't do that, but weight training you're going to see exponentially better results if you eat the right things.

So yeah like you say, benefits of running come quicker- I'd actually say anyone new to lifting can expect to feel uncomfortable in the gym for the first 2-3 months until they get used to it. You kinda have to show some mental toughness because you're not going to know what you're doing and you're not even going to really be able to tell whether it will work or not.. Now, I've been yo-yoing up and down for the past 4 years but I'm nearly back where I was (hopefully I don't get injured this time) but it's much easier if you've done it before.

Now I kinda know better not to push myself, if I feel a niggle just rest it don't push or you'll get injured. Especially don't keep trying to see if it's healed every couple weeks cos you're going to end up trying to heal for over a year.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
However, gym results are slower. Sure, you feel sore (often the next day or two) but being muscular was less of an appeal than the cardiovascular health of running and the feeling of instant results, whether or not they were there.

How about you?
I need to do high impact activity in order for me to workout- weight isn't that fun and I guess I don't have the courage to weight train due to the fear of boredom though I know itll probably make me look better more toned

Im a runner as well- I like running outdoor but at the gym my go to would be the elliptical

I workout or play to be more precised( I workout bc it frees my mind ) mainly running , cardio kick boxing or practicing martial arts
I have a black belt in taekwondo and blue in karate :)

In terms of image- I've always been lanky/athletic

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Moby

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ever since early childhood, I have been rather awful at most all sports. Still, I strongly value health and personal well-being.

During middle school and high school, I worked out by watching exercise tutorials on YouTube. Most of it was just easy stuff, like simple ab, leg, and arm workouts, and I enjoyed the peppy music and the 'company' of the lady on the screen, as well as the privacy of my own home. That was more or less out of boredom or just because one of my friends happened to recommend it to me.
When I did venture into the outdoors, I would spend hours just jogging along nearby trails. That was probably the most effective type of exercise I ever engaged in!

These days, my favorite form of working out is by taking long walks (does that count?) in different locations. While the idea of spending hours in the gym seems rather monotonous to me, walking around for hours in public locations is one of my favorite things to do! Downtown, the beach, and random tourist locations are some of my favorite places to go. I also enjoy walking around the neighborhood to look at flowers and dogs.

I'm also rather put-off by the gym culture of 'grunting' and shouting (imo!). If I do go to the gym, it's almost always with friends, and it's more about spending quality time with them than actually getting swole.

·
Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
5,148 Posts
I prefer the gym, I like to find fun stuff to wear there but I do enjoy it. That and my husband is into cross fit and Spartan races. I've been pretty decent at sports my entire life.

·
Registered
ESTP - SEE Fi
4,688 Posts
Have been since last august, it's like I'm a completely different person now. Feeling light and healthy helped brightening my mood and overall health / confidence so much. Best decision ever taken, getting back into sports. Mountain climbers are the worse tho lol

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I prefer the gym, I like to find fun stuff to wear there but I do enjoy it. That and my husband is into cross fit and Spartan races. I've been pretty decent at sports my entire life.
Are you an ENFP-A? I'm burning to ask. I just feel a kinship how you write and I am an ENFP-A.

·
Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
5,148 Posts
Are you an ENFP-A? I'm burning to ask. I just feel a kinship how you write and I am an ENFP-A.
Yeah, this was my latest test, I test my self at least twice a year. Sometimes I wonder INFP but I always get ENFP, on multiple sites lol. I never looked into what the A part means but I'm an ENFP-A

FYI, I did find this data as I look up A vs T. According to Google search data, approximately 60% test as the ENFP-T personality type, with 40% scoring as the ENFP-A type. I think I'm pretty laid back and not highly aggitated to other's opinions. I also like to recognize self-control, and value individualism. I'm not very emotionally volatile but my Type 2 makes me that way.

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FYI, I did find this data as I look up A vs T. According to Google search data, approximately 60% test as the ENFP-T personality type, with 40% scoring as the ENFP-A type. I think I'm pretty laid back and not highly aggitated to other's opinions. I also like to recognize self-control, and value individualism. I'm not very emotionally volatile but my Type 2 makes me that way.
I'm not surprised. It's how you type and answer as well, I feel the -A comes out in our writing (I also believe Fallen Foxes is an ENFP-A). We write in shorter sentences and we come across as more calm and even keeled than our slightly more common ENFP-T brethern. Thanks for looking into it and answering.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts