Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't stand it being around others who are smarter than me. When I converse with them, I feel inferior. Although, when talking to below average students, I almost want to laugh in their face. How do you react with people smarter and dumber than you?

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
I like being around people who are more intelligent than me in some area. I am a brain vampire, and will absorb what you have. These are the best.

In my world, people who are less intelligent are ignored unless they greet me. Then I greet, and go about my day.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Unfortunately I don't know anyone who is smarter than me (it's really a sad thing), dumber, yes a lot, usually I don't pay attention to them and if I had to talk to them I try to keep it general and short, mostly I like to let them do the talking, me just listen and think.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
What is the measure of intelligence here? IQ, Level of education, quickness of mind in general?

Personally, I've grown accustomed to being a fair bit more intelligent than average but I'm not the most intelligent. And I don't see how it matters. I love creative, idealistic people who aren't convinced of their own superiority. I don't think intelligence is more important than what you can accomplish with it.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
How can I, the world is full of idiots.

Otherwise there is sarcasm to bring them down.

Reactions: Zero11

·
Registered
55 Posts
I usually don't try to determine what someone's level of intelligence is, it's far too difficult and there's really no point. People have different kinds of intelligence and know about different things.
For example, one of my best friends is an ESFJ. Very good at trivia games, got pretty much straight A's in highschool, very "book-smart". My other best friend (who is also a best friend of the ESFJ) is an ISTP (I think). Didn't go to college, not a very scholarly person. However, he knows EVERYTHING about cars. Pretty much any physical thing that he's interested in, he can become an expert at.
By most measures my ESFJ friend would be more intelligent, but there are times when he is completely clueless. I think most people are like that, we're all experts in different areas, or in my case, more of a jack-of-all-trades.
And yes, there are times I feel intellectually inferior. Especially when people are talking hard science. I guess my reaction is just to sit back and not say anything stupid.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I like being around people who are more intelligent than me in some area. I am a brain vampire, and will absorb what you have. These are the best.
This. Meeting people like that is rare occurrence, and I savour every moment.

As for "dumber" people, I try not to make assumptions. Everybody says stupid things on occasion. If they're simply unremarkable, I'll tolerate them. If they take an interest in me, I have no problem conversing - some people are diamonds in the rough. I agree with @Grits about people being intelligent in different areas.

There's a lot more to be said on the topic, but to answer the OP, no, I don't feel intellectually inferior, and as far as I can remember, never have.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can't stand it being around others who are smarter than me. When I converse with them, I feel inferior. Although, when talking to below average students, I almost want to laugh in their face. How do you react with people smarter and dumber than you?
You're an elitist. It's good you know "more intelligent people" who can check your ego. Hopefully, one day you'll be able to substitute the inferiority that you feel around them for humbleness.
Anyone can be insightful to others, regardless of their intelligence. We all have different experiences and skills to share. My personal practice is to treat people fairly and equally (regardless of perceived intelligence or other differences) until they cease to do the same for me.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I really enjoy being around those who are smarter that me . In fact i seek them out . My classroom in school is basically full of idiotic slackers who think that anyone who actually bothers to do what they are supposed to do are either nerd or just morons . My brain would turn to mush if i payed the slightest bit of attention to them i would just go full retard . I mean come on people , they've copied of the smart ones for every test , but now they've converted everyone except me to a mindless drone .

I know i went off topic , but i really needed to get that of my chest. Thank you for your time .

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
to OP. If you can't learn something from everyone then its you that is stupid.

I've learnt stuff from smart people, I've also learnt stuff from less smart people.

open your mind to learning something from every incidence of contact and your world becomes a bigger place with more opportunity.

·
Banned
2,005 Posts
Were you hoping for validation or did you intend to broadcast your insecurities in this way? I do so hope it wasn't the former. That would be rather unfortunate.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Were you hoping for validation or did you intend to broadcast your insecurities in this way? I do so hope it wasn't the former. That would be rather unfortunate.
I was hoping for intelligent and insightful replies. It seems you can't provide such a thing.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
I was hoping for intelligent and insightful replies. It seems you can't provide such a thing.
Oh, it was insightful. Just that you wanted insights directed toward others (less intelligent folk), and not yourself.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm so used to being around people who are below my level that it's pretty intimidating/thrilling when I find someone who is above my level and will talk to me without having that "teaching moment" kind of condescension. But if that person is talking to me, I'm pretty likely to get caught up in letting the awesomeness of conversation flow, and I'll just forget about the fact that they're smarter - until later that day and then I will be like: *-* they talked to me!! *-* The fact that I'm in the ~20 y/o group should explain why this happens only once in a while :(

Honestly, though, I don't talk to people enough to seperate them that well. I think that a lot of my peers are actually kind of smart, but they simply don't care about "smart" things. Crazy kids! ><

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like being around people above my level as long as I don't have the feeling they're talking down to me. I can understand most things (well, at least those I'm interested in) very quickly and I find it insulting when the conversation feels "dumbed down" for my """""""""benefit"""""".

·
Registered
645 Posts
There's this amazing book called "This Will Make You Smarter", I just got on Amazon.

This is packed with lots of stuff that INTJs would love. It also convinced me that INTJs are Gods (even though I still think the God of the Bible was an INFJ/ENFJ). It's packed with insights on our fundamental imperfections and things like about 90% of people believe they're "above average".

Notice: thetruehell said
I don't know anyone who is smarter than me
- that's probably an example. Since it's coming from an INTJ, though, he probably doesn't believe he is actually the smartest Aleck on the planet...

·
Registered
INTJ
2,492 Posts
Spent time with a neuroscientist yesterday walking around the city, taking photos of things and talking.
We had good conversation... Actual intellectual conversation... The kind I don't get to have with anyone else.
She was way more educated than me in her field and was very intelligent, most probably more intelligent than me but it was no big deal. I was slightly anxious about looking stupid but then again I constantly think I am bad, useless, stupid, ugly, incompetent and an assortment of other garbage (Thanks Fi) in order to keep myself losing any progress.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts