Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, just wondering....

I'm still undecided about my type, INTP sounds like me, but I hate long explainations (get bored when reading them) which i see a lot of, on NT discussion boards.

I like deep discussions, but i dont like metaphors, I dont like a million details, i'm allways thinking GET TO THE POINT!!! :laughing:

Basically, i'd allways rather explain some thing in 5 words than 50, if possible.

Any thoughts on this?...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hmm...interesting. I am always really concerned with making sure I explicitly state my point, so I will write however many words it requires to accurately convey it, so that I ensure people know exactly what I am talking about. I also think that because INTPs are so excited by ideas, if someone seems interested/they think it's interesting, they may take a lot of time explaining all the context around their idea. Also, if they are perhaps asking a question, there may perhaps have been a long thought process that took place before the question came up, all of which is seen as necessary to mention.

So, in short :)tongue:) I think that INTPs are unlikely to ramble about nothing, but that they may see it as necessary to include all the context around their idea. However, I am also put off by long pieces of information when it's related to things I'm not especially interested in, so that may play a part.

On a side note: Welcome to the boards. I'm pretty new here and am still busy trying to type myself too. Hope you enjoy it here - I know I certainly have!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I usually want to get to the point early on and then elaborate further when I write a text. However, these elaborations can get quite lengthy and I like to read long theoretical texts as long as the text is structured and transparent enough. I enjoy non-fiction, science fiction and elaborate intellectual texts the most, but I don't like to read wishy-washy metaphors and incoherent stories though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Clog

Yeah tbh, I guess i might sometimes say/write a bit about a subject if I'm interested (especially if im arguing something) I'm definately far from a master of (or interested in) language tho. I always go for the simple words to explain things, and get the feeling that a lot of people either love language, or love to show off how intelligent they are (even tho they often are not saying anything of substance)

Quickly looking around this forum tho, It seems a lot better than other INTP/INTJ boards, more down to earth

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Didn't realize this was your first thread until I read Clog's post. Welcome to the forum! (*my INTPness sometimes makes me skip such simple pleasantries as welcoming a new member :blushed:)...

Quickly looking around this forum tho, It seems a lot better than other INTP/INTJ boards, more down to earth
Yeah, I like the atmosphere here too. The people on this forum are generally very good-natured and interested in each other, while it's really just a bowl of hate and egocentrism on some other forums. I hope you'll stick around btw, you seem to be a nice enough person.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't realize this was your first thread until I read Clog's post. Welcome to the forum! (*my INTPness sometimes makes me skip such simple pleasantries as welcoming a new member :blushed:)...

Yeah, I like the atmosphere here too. The people on this forum are generally very good-natured and interested in each other, while it's really just a bowl of hate and egocentrism on some other forums. I hope you'll stick around btw, you seem to be a nice enough person.

Thanks! I'm exactly the same, and would forget to welcome too! :laughing:

Completely agree with the highlighted, which made me confused about my type (i still am a bit tbh)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Completely agree with the highlighted, which made me confused about my type (i still am a bit tbh)
Well, you should take your time in finding out your type. I first thought I was an INTJ, but after learning more about the other MBTI personality types and taking some tests I finally found out that I was actually an INTP. If you have some free time I'd advise you to read this profile, it's really long but once you have read the first half you will probably already have a perfectly accurate concept of what an INTP is and whether you are one.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I think most NT's like long discussions (like you), they are going to differ in the content. As an INTP I personally love metaphors, but I think that's more of an INTJ thing since they are the ones with Ni, but hell, I don't really know I'm still a little confused on the functions lol.

But the absolute best way to find ouy your type is to type your functions first, then see what type most closely resembles that.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I think most NT's like long discussions (like you), they are going to differ in the content. As an INTP I personally love metaphors, but I think that's more of an INTJ thing since they are the ones with Ni, but hell, I don't really know I'm still a little confused on the functions lol.

But the absolute best way to find ouy your type is to type your functions first, then see what type most closely resembles that.
Ye, metaphors could be comming from Ni...

I am a pure INTP, like 85% perciving. But my Ni is actually highly developed (look on the: Cognitive functions test - thread that I've made)

So, yes. I rly like metaphores and use them almost always when i try to explain some idea to a person. My examples are always abstract and never rly concrete. I like to exagurate to make my point more clear...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Ye, metaphors could be comming from Ni...

I am a pure INTP, like 85% perciving. But my Ni is actually highly developed (look on the: Cognitive functions test - thread that I've made)

So, yes. I rly like metaphores and use them almost always when i try to explain some idea to a person. My examples are always abstract and never rly concrete. I like to exagurate to make my point more clear...
I think this is a correct conclusion because my Ni isn't nearly as developed as yours (according to that test) and I dislike metaphors unless they are obviously needed or strengthening an apparent message. Absolute certainty about this can't be gained unless we were to have more data though... because two people aren't really representative enough to make this into a rule.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
It really depends on the situation, subject matter, and the audience. I tend to be in the habit of not using 12 words when 5 will do, sometimes to the point of answering things so succinctly people respond with a "whaa....and...that's it?"

I answered your question. What else do you want?

Other times I'll elaborate on an answer and often go off on tangents quite a bit if it's a subject I'm knowledgeable about or if the other person is engaging and seems to actually be understanding me and I can tell they are genuinely interested.

Then there are those people where I don't need to elaborate because they "get" me right off and, with only a few words said, understand what I'm trying to communicate and all elaboration behind it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^^^^^ :laughing:

I answered your question. What else do you want?
Haha, I think this a lot! I guess my everyday conversations (which there aren't many of, unless its with myself.....) are in areas which dont interest me, especially at work. I need to get a job that interests me (i'm working on it)

Do any of you guys think that you may have missed out on jobs, due to a lack of elaboration in the application/interview, where you job doesn't really interest you, even though you could/would do the job well? This is probably not type related tho, some people just have a PHD in the Art of Bullpoop

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
^^^^^^^ :laughing:

Haha, I think this a lot! I guess my everyday conversations (which there aren't many of, unless its with myself.....) are in areas which dont interest me, especially at work. I need to get a job that interests me (i'm working on it)

Do any of you guys think that you may have missed out on jobs, due to a lack of elaboration in the application/interview, where you job doesn't really interest you, even though you could/would do the job well? This is probably not type related tho, some people just have a PHD in the Art of Bullpoop
In a few situations, yes, maybe but it was always when I didn't really care about the job or particular situation anyways and couldn't be bothered to put in the effort in the first place.

Mostly though I can tell when and how someone is expecting me to elaborate even when I don't really feel it necessary or something I really care about, but, in being able to pick up on these cues, I can bullshit through them and tell whomever it is what ever it is they want/need to hear if it's beneficial to do so.

/run-on sentences are something I'm definitely prone to...guess that counts as elaboration?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sorry to go slightly off topich but Elwood...thank you very much for that link you posted (I have been wrestling with the idea of my type for a while and it was actually very useful) - I just have a few queries (based on my own behaviour) which I hope you and the other INTPs here may be able to answer:

1) When it says that INTPs tend to be individualistic, does it mean that they are driven to be different from other people, or that they have fundamentally different behaviours and don't see any need to change things?

2) Is it possible to have an organised/generally tidy INTP?

3) Could suggesting a theory and then disagreeing with yourself no less than 5 minutes later (after you have given it some more thought) be an example of Ne, and therefore INTP, or is it a different function at work?

4) If an INTP involved in a group activity became frustrated with the lack of progress and could see that no one else was going to step up to the mark, would s/he take on the role of leader, or still stay in the background?

5) Can some INTPs learn social behaviours/etiquette so that in social situations they are actually okay (not saying that any INTPs here are impolite of course)?

Again, sorry to take this thread kind of off topic but perhaps I could make the excuse that it is related to INTP behaviour, and perhaps these questions are merely expanding the discussion? :tongue:

Anyway, thank you to anyone who is able to offer any help!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
1) Both. They act differently in and out of themselves because of their personality, but at times they will also consciously go against the flow.

2) Yes, it is possible to be a relatively tidy INTP, but you will probably have difficulty with it and have to remind yourself forcefully to be tidy. However, if you are naturally tidy and organized it's unlikely that you are an INTP.

I'll finish up later because my dinner's getting cold xD

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts

I'm still undecided about my type, INTP sounds like me, but I hate long explainations (get bored when reading them) which i see a lot of, on NT discussion boards.

I like deep discussions, but i dont like metaphors, I dont like a million details, i'm allways thinking GET TO THE POINT!!! :laughing:

Basically, i'd allways rather explain some thing in 5 words than 50, if possible.

Any thoughts on this?...
Possibly have to do with enneatype 9?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
*continuation of my response to TheClog17*

3) Yes, this is incredibly typical for an INTP with an hyper-active Ne. I don't know whether or not you have followed my thread on feminism, but if you were to read all of my posts in chronological order you'll notice that I was constantly shifting my position, making strange leaps and connections, attacking everyone's opinion and throwing in new ideas (to the frutration of others, I must say). This kind of thinking is restricted to few types and is probably the most apparent in xNTPs.

4) No, INTPs are generally not inclined to do that and if they do lead it will only be in an absolute emergency and for a short amount of time. I was put in charge of a work group for my economics class and I failed miserably at it, I was applauded by the teacher for my theoretical work during the project, but during the evaluation I was heavily criticized by my team for not involving them, being unclear, not communicating myself properly and not anticipating on the social problems within the group.

5) Yes, they can... they'll never be the best communicators around, but nonetheless they can be very social if they really want to.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts

Any thoughts on this?...
I like to be succinct if possible. but I invariably think about potential misunderstanding over what I've said/written, and things in general are not usually so simple as to be explained in 5 words, so I'll elaborate and try to clarify. if the person doesn't seem to be understanding me at all, I'll continue to elaborate and bust out the metaphors until what I thought was a nice straight line looks more like a mess of spaghetti. (it must be cold spaghetti, because the other person usually doesn't eat it up.) :frustrating:

·
Registered
675 Posts
I like to elaborate, I also like to get to the point.

The solution is to keep things compartmentalized with higher and lower layers of abstraction. Start with the general, and then move to the specific. That way those who merely want to drive the car and those who want to pop open the hood are both satisfied.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts