Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get extremely stressed about deadlines and studying. I really don't want to, although I know I "have" to. No, I don't want to go for some mediocre job and suffer later on. It's that I've always escaped deadlines and slacked, doing the bare minimum and I'm getting more and more exhausted of running from studies.. and ironically, I take care of it by running from it more. This leads me to going overboard with "this is pointless" to the point where understanding new things and gaining new knowledge doesn't interest me nearly as much as it used to. (including movies, anime, etc)

No, I'm not depressed. I have a lot of fun when I'm out with my close friends, or watching something I really like (sometimes). The only thing that would REALLY make me happy is someone telling me I can go free without fear of being controlled, no working hard, on a permanent vacation and just walk alone and do my own damn thing.

*sigh* Any advice?

·
Registered
596 Posts
1. take off a semester
2. get a mediocre job
3. brainstorm your career options
4. go back to school if you decide on furthering education

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
I'm getting more and more exhausted of running from studies..
Welcome to the club.

The secret is learning to cultivate a love of what you do, regardless of the challenge. It is not a matter of whether or not you can accomplish the task, it's a matter of getting in the right mood where the task becomes effortless. This requires emotional manipulation of one's self. A big part of this is learning to let go of the desire to "run free" on "permanent vacation." This is desire that desires desire and may be the downfall of the INTP. We all need to learn to stop falling for this siren's song. Let go of that desire, and that energy springs up naturally in what you need to accomplish. Moderate your desires before work, and you may have a better chance.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
The only time studying has ever stressed me out was cramming for finals in law school and for the bar exam. Nothing else has really required too much effort on my part.

Deadlines don't stress me out unless they're just completely unreasonable... like having 4 hours to respond to a 30 page MSJ.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. take off a semester
2. get a mediocre job
3. brainstorm your career options
4. go back to school if you decide on furthering education
Already took about a year's break from college. Not actually a break but I had 3 months of vacation, didn't attend a single lecture despite getting letters sent home, and just passed with minimal studying.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm actually in the same boat you are in. At first, I thought it was just me and I'd get out of it. Now, I'm unsure what to do with my life. I'm failing one of my major classes, probably going to drop the Engineering part of my degree, and I can't bring myself to care about it in the slightest. I hate where I'm heading to, and yet, total apathy. I've been delaying a few papers I still need to type up, selecting my classes for next year, finding some courses to take over the summer, and various other things. I'm just not motivated to do it anymore.

I still love to hang out with friends every Friday night. I love to talk, laugh, chill with them. I love to engage in class and to learn. But like you, I just lost focus, and lost all interest with everything important for my future. The only thing interesting anymore seemed to be what was going on in my head.

Because of how deep of a hole I've dug myself into, I thought about going to get counseling, especially for the apathy, and when I did and I talked to someone, I felt a lot better. I started to go to sleep at reasonable hours in the night. I started eating more. I feel a lot calmer. They said I might have mild depression, not the melancholic and/or suicidal thoughts part, but the sheer loss in interest and lack of motivation part.

In your case, I would definitely talk to someone. It could be a professional like I did, or it could be a close friend or teacher/professor or family. Someone who will help you out. Then view your options. If taking a semester off is what you need, then get it set up. Summer courses, go do it. And relax and take a deep breath. You'll live and overcome this. I know I am trying my damnedest to.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I get stressed from studying, not deadlines so much. I'm actually in the middle of writing a research paper right now. In general, research papers aren't too bad, but with everything else thrown into the mix I am beginning to question my sanity.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the club.

The secret is learning to cultivate a love of what you do, regardless of the challenge. It is not a matter of whether or not you can accomplish the task, it's a matter of getting in the right mood where the task becomes effortless. This requires emotional manipulation of one's self. A big part of this is learning to let go of the desire to "run free" on "permanent vacation." This is desire that desires desire and may be the downfall of the INTP. We all need to learn to stop falling for this siren's song. Let go of that desire, and that energy springs up naturally in what you need to accomplish. Moderate your desires before work, and you may have a better chance.
Your Signature is wrong. "Indian" isn't a culture or religion, it's a Nationality. "Hindu" is what you meant to put next to Muslim and Christian.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Your Signature is wrong. "Indian" isn't a culture or religion, it's a Nationality. "Hindu" is what you meant to put next to Muslim and Christian.
Yup, it is a nationality. That's the point. If you would, "culture-ism," "religion-ism" and nationalism are all equally as violent.

The quote isn't mine, it's from J. Krishnamurti.

Reactions: shallnotbenamed

·
Registered
412 Posts
I encourage you to not be a lil biznatch and do your work. I was like that for most of my life and decided to just buckle down and do my work after my first year in college. I definitely felt much, much better after getting my work done.

Don't get me wrong, my natural instinct is still to avoid / run away, but I try my best to fight it. I found that once I sat down and started to work, I enjoyed myself. If not, I tried to find a study group to study with. That way we could all complain about it together. Sounds dumb, but it helped me. Either way, knocking out some work gave me the feeling that I was progressing and moving forward in life, which is way more important than having fun and hanging out with friends. In some ways, getting work done and hanging out with friends after is more rewarding. I can go 10x as hard and not feel bad about it.

LASTLY, I felt the same way about work. Thought life was going to SUCK after college. But actually work life is waaaaaay better than school. Work life isn't just about doing work, you still connect with people the same way you would in college. Hopefully you will get a job where you are surrounded by young professionals and if you are lucky, very smart young professionals that you can relate with and learn from.

Even if you don't want that, there are many companies (especially in tech) that are realllllly laid back. One company that comes to mind is 360i. They have a bar in their kitchen and all their employees are allowed to drink and hang out at lunch. They often throw bangers there. ++ The employees are usually young, bright and cool.

TLDR; Don't avoid doing work. School is worth it. Work life doesn't suck. Do some research and find jobs / companies where you would fit in.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
"The only thing that would REALLY make me happy is someone telling me I can go free without fear of being controlled, no working hard, on a permanent vacation and just walk alone and do my own damn thing."
Well, follow these simple steps and you can do that. It'll take a few years, but you won't have to work hard.
1. Marry a Norwegian person
2. Move to Norway with this person
3. Wait a few years so you get Norwegian citizenship
4. Get a divorce
5. Get injured or pretend to be severely depressed (for example) so you can't work
6. Get money from NAV
You still have to follow the laws, and there are a few things you have to do, but it's very close to what you wanted. You will get money for nothing, which will be almost like a permanent vacation. They might try pushing you into working though, so make sure they think you really can't work - or pretend to give it a try, and then make sure it doesn't work out.

(Or you can just follow some of the other's advices)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I thought this is my problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts