Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
ENTP type 8w5
170 Posts
Definitely, which is why I always suggest things instead of ordering, it makes people think they did it on their own so they can only credit themselves, it’s a smart way and it also boasts self confidence and collaboration

·
Registered
ENTP type 8w5
170 Posts
True, those are just bad communication skills, people often forget that others have pride and a character of their own, honestly they deserve getting fucked with

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
I usually do the opposite if someone tells me they think I should do something, even if they're not wrong
This is an over-expressed anger response.

Anger is fairness, which demands you have a right to your own choice, NO MATTER WHAT.

Spite is over-expressed anger that demands, usually by action, as action is anger's thing, that you contest the other's demand by doing the opposed thing. It is as if to say I recognize your right to claim this and I will loudly show you that anyone has the right to claim the opposite.

This attitude is partially valid but is sadly lacking in fear and order which can be moral. Fear and order counsel GOOD judgment. Judgment requires that between any two positions on a subject, one is BETTER than the other. You are morally bound to choose and suffer the consequences of that choice.

Like all choices, there is a web of expressions needed. To try to be as moral as we can be, we must concern ourselves with all three primal emotions and bring them into wise balance.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,846 Posts
I usually do the opposite if someone tells me they think I should do something, even if they're not wrong
You would have enjoyed the Navy (not). I get you though. I don't like it either, but there are times and situations where it is better to do as you're told.

Reactions: Swivelinglight

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,846 Posts
You would have enjoyed the Navy (not). I get you though. I don't like it either, but there are times and situations where it is better to do as you're told.
I should point out that I only came to this conclusion through years of rebellious behaviors that landed me in far more trouble than it was worth.

·
Registered
ENTP 8w7 sx/so
946 Posts
My INTP boyfriend. Haha.

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 594
737 Posts
My immediate reaction is to look at directive with skepticism, but I don't mind being told what to do as long as they explain to me why their method is more efficient.
If people leave me to my own devices, I will often find a way to get the job done myself. I don't like authority telling me to do something, when my way is clearly better at getting the job done.
But I am always accepting of criticism, if my method is not working, I'm able to accept alternative solutions.

But as @tanstaafl28 suggested, there are times and situations where it is better to do as you are told.
In the military, following your superior's orders is important because it keeps the whole system stable, and a clear hierachy is an efficient way of keeping control. Lives are at stake, and hesitation can potentially cost lives.
But in most enviornments, I find debate and discussion healthy. I just want to find the best and most energy-efficient method of getting the job done. I don't care where the idea comes from.

Reactions: tanstaafl28

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the military, following your superior's orders is important because it keeps the whole system stable, and a clear hierachy is an efficient way of keeping control. Lives are at stake, and hesitation can potentially cost lives.
I've never been in a situation like the above; and usually I disdain those who think of trivial matters as being equally important as the above :)

·
Registered
ENFP
4,207 Posts
I take what everyone says with a grain of salt... but when someone tries to dictate and tell me what to do, I mostly ignore them and go about my own business, or I tune out and make a cartoon version of them in my mind as a way to deal with the stress. I had a Bill Reilly type of uncle who I used to do this to all the time.

I usually respond well to constructive advice. I don't deliberately act the oppossite, although I can, when I feel challenged (i.e., "don't talk to so and so" why not?). Or if it's a matter of challenging status quo, then hell yeah!! (not for the sake of any status quo- just the ones I deem... harmful).

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I could write a book about the topic, but tl;dr i think it's because if one can influence others to believe that they should do what they recommend, then they are able to believe that what they're doing is good; it's a way of removing self-doubt through others

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
521 Posts
I don't like when I'm being ordered to do something. Rather like it if someone ask something of me, than strongly direct me. In my opinion, it's not a way to approach someone, to demand something of someone. It's not respectful. This is just the way I see it though.

·
Registered
971 Posts
The thing I really despise is when someone thinks they have more insight into something in my life than they really do, or more than I do, and they try fuckin' lecturing me as if I don't have any legit reason that I do things the way I do. So I either have to tell them to just stfu, or instead I'll have to open up a can of worms by debating shit with them, and they're probably not gonna understand anyways.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I definitely don't like being told what to do for myself(although I still end up doing what others say due to rebelling landing me in trouble, from my experience), since for me it feels like it is interfering with my freedom and individual decision making skills. Apparently most of the people who tell me what to do, also don't give me enough time to think for myself and often times I have regretted doing what they have told me to do so later. When I debate with them about the reasons for why I need to do what they say, their flaws in reasoning, they tend to get annoyed idk what is wrong with questioning you if you are ordering me around. It is fair that I decide for myself. That said I have no problem with doing what others tell me, if they can back up their arguments with good reasoning. But very few people have patience for that. That said I also don't like to tell others what to do.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
It depends. Almost everyone isn't telling you out of spite so you should almost never react to it.

·
Premium Member
15,241 Posts
If I'm on a large luxury cruise ship & it is sinking, and the Admiral says to me "to survive and not drown, EXIT here..." I will very much, appreciate him/her telling me what to do.

Everyone else, can pound sand.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I used to idealize the idea of having a woman that tells me what to do a lot. Luckily I outgrew that unhealthy idealization before it could ever come to fruition.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts