Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly does P offer to us? I can see merits on both sides of every other letter, but perceiving just seems like a lazy form of judging. Does anyone else think this way or am I missing something big? To me it just seems like a personality weakness of mine.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I know what you mean. I've wondered the same thing. "Where does my P get me exactly...."

·
Registered
424 Posts
I agree.... I suppose it allows us to adapt better and more quickly to new situations. Although I often wish I was an INTJ......oh, woe is me!
I think INTPs are so much cooler than INTJs. I perceive there are a lot of unhealthy INTJs out there due to their isolation. Just look at their debates about intelligence and humanity. :crazy:

It's the free thinking that I like about INTPs! Don't change. Also, I hate strict principles. If the J's take over, I'm doomed and have to succumb to their lives!!! That makes me want to become more cutthroat.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Perceiving is just absorbing and interconnecting information. Judging is sort of like structuring that information according to some value system, F or T. In socionics because INTP's dominant function is a judging one, Ti, you're classed as J not a P (MBTI btw is not the only typing system). Indeed if someone with Fi or Ti dominant or auxiliary opens up to you, you will find yourself running into a whole lot of their internal judgements. In MBTI sense the only difference between Js and Ps is that Ps are those who make judgements internally and Ps are those who judge externally.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yes, we may be more capable of thinking outside the box and not strike people as the typical, predictable character, but I feel like my perceiving function gives me more disadvantages than advantages. Like right now, I'm supposed to be doing my homework, but I'm here, procrastinating away like there is no tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
What's wrong with having an extroverted percieving function?

Perceptions gather information for you to judge.
What kind of idiot draws conclusions without anything to base those conclusions on?
Well said. To answer your question, former Pres. G. W.Bush for one :p

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, we may be more capable of thinking outside the box and not strike people as the typical, predictable character, but I feel like my perceiving function gives me more disadvantages than advantages. Like right now, I'm supposed to be doing my homework, but I'm here, procrastinating away like there is no tomorrow.
Don't feel bad; it's not necessarily your "P", because I have the same issue.
The real problem is that we both suck. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
What exactly does P offer to us? I can see merits on both sides of every other letter, but perceiving just seems like a lazy form of judging. Does anyone else think this way or am I missing something big? To me it just seems like a personality weakness of mine.
In a nutshell, the MBTI "J" lends order and efficiency while "P" lends creativity and flexibility. You should look into cognitive functions, it will make things clearer. INTPs tend to poorly motivated; that is one of our weaknesses. Every type has strengths and weaknesses. As INTPs we do most of our best work inside of our heads (Ti) and prefer a perceptive (Ne) attitude to the outer world. Our culture places a high value on extroverted judgement, especially extroverted thinking judgment (Te). The xxTJ executive is the epitome of Te in action as he can manage people, data and resources well. But he probably cannot be as creative or technically adept as a Ti-using xxTP.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Doesn't P give us the ability to vehemently argue both sides of an issue? Even a point we may not believe at all. It's our objectivity. Personally that's not something I would want to give up.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
This question is way too broad to answer if you consider the functions involved.

INTP- Ti Ne Si Fe
INTJ- Ni Te Fi Se

None of the functions are the same. I don't think it's possible to get any clear answers if 4 variables are involved simultaneously. :mellow:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I always test as INTJ on tests. I'm always on time and very driven to get things done once I'm commited to them. But that doesn't make me a judger. I think the P/J dichotomy is a weakpoint in the MBTI as far as typing goes. There is a huge difference between an INTJ and an INTP that free internet tests often completely miss.

Of course an INTP values being on time and having things logically ordered around them. I don't think an INTP would enjoy a library in complete disarray and neither would an ISTP. You can have loads of discipline even if you are a perciever.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Having read INTJ and INTP posts, I think we're very similar. INTPs seem to have at least some semblance of social conformity. You also don't seem like megalomaniacs. The downside is that you tend to lack an all-consuming ambition/drive, along with a detachment from reality and a need to fix any system you see as inefficient.

My only INTP friend is also a much less isolated than I am.

INTJ: "Forget reality for a minute and let me think."

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
Are you serious?

Ps are more successful because they have minds that aren't shaped by shitty educations. They will seek other ways to do well in life because school demands structure, not competence, if you have competence you have to structure it properly.

They learn creativity by succeeding in getting by without conforming to the way things are usually done. Everyone has college degrees these days, Ps have the potential to do more with their lives.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Yes my P-ness is a heavy burden

(oh come on this pun is just begging to be made!)
Doh! You beat me to it.

Well, I'll add anyway that thinking with my Pness does tend to get in the way sometimes. I'll go think about this long, and hard now..

Reactions: Nitou
1 - 20 of 45 Posts