Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being an INFP, I hear so many good things from others about my personality type, how we are sweet and caring and hilarious and creative but sometimes being an INFP just sucks. Every personality website is full of nice things to say about INFPs ("You're not that smart but hey! You're a good person and that's what matters right?") but it's exhausting.

Being an introvert and being able to spend time alone and crack on with my work and focus is a good trait but sometimes it's painful. I'd love to be able to spend time with more than two people at once (because I have more than two friends) without feeling exhausted but I can't. I so badly want to enjoy parties but I don't. I'm in full-time education five days a week and then I work part-time at a dry cleaners the other two, and sometimes it's like I don't have any time to myself, to recharge and I get stressed out and it eventually takes it's toll on my mental health. I bet extraverts never have that problem and it makes me jealous. Even being an ambivert would be nice.

I would also really like to be a sensor. I know what you're thinking - what?! Intuition is one of the most sought-after preferences. People talk all sorts of shit about sensors and I get it but sometimes I'd just like to sit down and not overthink things, I'd like to not get carried away with college projects, I'd like to stop spending so much time imagining perfect little scenarios that will never happen and will eventually end up breaking my heart. I'd just like to be able to commit to one task at a time and be able to get it done.

And don't even get me started about my feeling preference. Being a feeler SUCKS. I hate feeling everything so deeply and getting upset over everything and feeling everybody else's pain. I wish I could just switch it off, be a thinker and prioritise logic rather than emotion.

And lastly, I'd give literally anything to be a judger. As an INFP I am already the least perceptive of the perceivers as we are not known to be that care-free - we're lazy and unproductive and we spend our lives procrastinating, but we follow rules and take pride in being reliable. I just wish I didn't have such a tendency to procrastinate, a tendency to bunk class because I forgot to do the homework or because the teacher hates me for asking too many questions. I wish I could just start a task and see it through, have a routine in my life, be a bit more organised and have my personal space all tidy and perfect like I so want it to be. But alas, I am lazy and disgusting, and try as I might I just can't get myself into a nice organised routine.

In summary, I just feel like ESTJs have it easy and I'd love to know what it feels like to be one, just for a day. That being said, however, I don't particularly like ESTJs - I don't actually get along with any ST types at all.

Does anyone else feel this way? Does anyone else wish they were a different type? Or does it just suck to be an INFP?

·
Banned
200 Posts
edit: cant delete posts here sorry

yes id like to be an entj, the world would be in my fingertips and I would experience what life is like at high IQ vs low IQ

·
Registered
10,016 Posts
Even extroverts can get burnt out

I have definitely noticed my ExF friends can get burn out if the work is more production oriented and less people oriented.

While I can multi task well when it comes to task orientation and navigating I do get burn out when I have to manage some of the human side of work. Basically I am a manager this is half task and half HR shit, I hate HR shit. I am fine if I am empowering and leading group morale generally. But independently sought consultations of the emotional kind, in the work place eat at the very depths of my soul. I do everything in my power to diffuse all together or just send people straight to the HR person not only more equipped and qualified but actually has way more patience for this dumb shit. That's how fucking much I hate going back and forth about who and what amd who made so and so feel bad. As I said I usually try and find a practical solution. But outside that I just send them to HR. HR as an exclusive department is super to handle that dumb shit anyways.

Anyways point no you're not exclusive to burn out in some form. I literally get physically restless and jumpy if there is too much focus or longer range energy spent on colleague/work place drama. Honestly if it were within my power I would bench the people unpaid every time they disrupt professional settings for their personal chaos. Bet they would all shape up real fucking fast. Faster then everyone in HR 'talking' it out :rollseyes: wtf?

Anyways this shit depletes my energy quite a bit.

·
Banned
601 Posts
No.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Yes.

I feel no need to offer explanation other than the grass is often greener on the other side.

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
I guess ENFJ is my cognitive opposite while ENFP is my dichotomy opposite.

I would not like to be either type. I think social situations would be a lot easier as an ENFJ but even though I don't understand Fe much, it's not something that I really want. ENFPs are nice and all but I don't think I'd like to be one.

If I could choose my type I'd probably go for ExTP.

Reactions: nablur

·
Registered
296 Posts
I could enjoy being more organised and maybe extraverted.
Depending on what my type really is INTJ or ENTJ is my shadow. i'm fine being xNTP, I feel like I navigate through life a wanderer sometimes, not literally speaking. I like structure and would like to be able to manipulate it more efficiently. Understanding people feelings isn't something I really long for. Just enough to be able to comunicate and get what I want is enough. I could make an exception for some particular people.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Nah, every type has flaws. I like who I am. The flaws of my character can be adjusted and learned.

Reactions: nationalencoder

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Absolutely not, the life I've lived would probably have been miserable for a feeler and/or an extravert and maybe dull for a sensor or at least an Se dom/aux.

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
Being an INFP, I hear so many good things from others about my personality type, how we are sweet and caring and hilarious and creative but sometimes being an INFP just sucks. Every personality website is full of nice things to say about INFPs ("You're not that smart but hey! You're a good person and that's what matters right?") but it's exhausting.

Being an introvert and being able to spend time alone and crack on with my work and focus is a good trait but sometimes it's painful. I'd love to be able to spend time with more than two people at once (because I have more than two friends) without feeling exhausted but I can't. I so badly want to enjoy parties but I don't. I'm in full-time education five days a week and then I work part-time at a dry cleaners the other two, and sometimes it's like I don't have any time to myself, to recharge and I get stressed out and it eventually takes it's toll on my mental health. I bet extraverts never have that problem and it makes me jealous. Even being an ambivert would be nice.

I would also really like to be a sensor. I know what you're thinking - what?! Intuition is one of the most sought-after preferences. People talk all sorts of shit about sensors and I get it but sometimes I'd just like to sit down and not overthink things, I'd like to not get carried away with college projects, I'd like to stop spending so much time imagining perfect little scenarios that will never happen and will eventually end up breaking my heart. I'd just like to be able to commit to one task at a time and be able to get it done.

And don't even get me started about my feeling preference. Being a feeler SUCKS. I hate feeling everything so deeply and getting upset over everything and feeling everybody else's pain. I wish I could just switch it off, be a thinker and prioritise logic rather than emotion.

And lastly, I'd give literally anything to be a judger. As an INFP I am already the least perceptive of the perceivers as we are not known to be that care-free - we're lazy and unproductive and we spend our lives procrastinating, but we follow rules and take pride in being reliable. I just wish I didn't have such a tendency to procrastinate, a tendency to bunk class because I forgot to do the homework or because the teacher hates me for asking too many questions. I wish I could just start a task and see it through, have a routine in my life, be a bit more organised and have my personal space all tidy and perfect like I so want it to be. But alas, I am lazy and disgusting, and try as I might I just can't get myself into a nice organised routine.

In summary, I just feel like ESTJs have it easy and I'd love to know what it feels like to be one, just for a day. That being said, however, I don't particularly like ESTJs - I don't actually get along with any ST types at all.

Does anyone else feel this way? Does anyone else wish they were a different type? Or does it just suck to be an INFP?
Well you can change your qualities that you hate. Until.you love yourself for being what you want yourself to be.

Not only what stupid dead myers brigs tells you to be

·
Registered
381 Posts
No, ESTJ's are definitely not a type I have preferred. I rarely dislike people I come across, but out of most of the types, ESTJ's and ISTJ's are the types I would least rather be. Maybe it is because it is a very undeveloped side of myself, and when it comes out strongly, it is not particularly pleasant. Although these types can be heroic and often loyal to a fault, I would definitely never want to be them, that's just me though.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Nope, I wouldn't trade that for being anything else :) Maybe one could wish that sometimes but I guess it might come from being broken due to stress or depression or smth. In such scenarios our personality might be distorted and act in unhealthy ways.

Being ENFP AF, I've been suppressed or distorted for years while I was younger and always thinking why oh why I need to be that way, get so little shit done, why I'm not different etc. But since age of 35+ or so I'm always in my own element and would never trade that.

Probably some cognitive functions start developing yet in such age, making us more consistent with ourselves as we are. For example I can clearly see that I'm able to complete more projects, act and make decisions even more quickly (probably due to Te being more developed in this age?) and handle more details.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No. I am perfectly content with my type. Unlike what most MBTI descriptions present, type has little to do with personality and much more to do with how you internalize the world around you.

You can be whomever you want to be. You don't need to turn into the opposite MBTI to change who you are.. let's say, if you want to stop making decisions based upon emotion, then you can make the conscious effort to engage your Te when weighing different options. If you want to be more organized, if you want to put yourself out there socially, if you want to be less 'dreamy' and more in the moment – you can do all of this while still remaining an INFP. Don't let those silly stereotypes get to your head.

(And also, who says INFPs are stupid? Granted, as with any type, some aren't as intelligent as others; but overall, we're the type with the third highest ratio of genius to regular IQs behind INTPs and INTJs – source: https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-eb1cd0ce0c7b7d737b04f4bf52fe4201)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts