Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a new graduate, and I have submitted tons of applications for jobs through online applications, but I don't think anyone ever looks at them. Has anyone ever got an interview through online applications?

I have a feeling that the most likely way I'm going to get a job is by approaching people at LinkedIn and try to get to know them. Has anyone ever landed a job as a new graduate by networking with peple you didn't already know through school/professors/recommendations?

Lol I'm an INFP, by the way. I don't think networking is impossible, but it just doesn't come naturally to me.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
No, try calling and presenting yourself instead.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
So I'm a new graduate, and I have submitted tons of applications for jobs through online applications, but I don't think anyone ever looks at them. Has anyone ever got an interview through online applications?

I have a feeling that the most likely way I'm going to get a job is by approaching people at LinkedIn and try to get to know them. Has anyone ever landed a job as a new graduate by networking with peple you didn't already know through school/professors/recommendations?

Lol I'm an INFP, by the way. I don't think networking is impossible, but it just doesn't come naturally to me.
When I was job hunting, I used online postings like indeed.com to find jobs.

But once I found a place hiring, I sent them a formal cover letter with resume. Because I did not like calling these places, that's all I did. I also hooked up with recruiting companies that would present me to employers.

Eventually, one of the recruiting company jobs landed me a position.

Basically, if the recruiting companies like your resume, they will give you a call, and bring you in for an interview. If they like you, you go on their list of acceptable people they can present to companies.

In other words, the online applications almost never result in anything... except for companies where they require it. Some larger companies only go by online applications... usually those companies require you to use their special website to submit the application.

You will probably not get responses for applying on websites like indeed.com or monster.com It's a waste of time to apply there. Apply on the company websites, or submit a formal application in writing through regular mail.

I had 60 to 80 applications done before I got my first offer. I had a few interviews before that.

·
Banned
7,396 Posts
The truth is that it's just not very likely. The majority of new grads get their jobs through their institution's career fairs (which yours should be offering), through people they've met from college, or applications handed to them through their institution's job centers/professors.

Out of all my classmates that got work, it was through one of these.

Can it happen theoretically? Maybe, but I really wouldn't count on it, and probably wouldn't waste my time writing individually-tailored cover letters since firsthand, those chances are so slim.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The only 2 positions I've gotten after college were online postings on Indeed.com by a recruiting company. I did have a few others call me for a phone interview and in person interview. Your best bet is to write a customized cover letter for each position and remember to follow up in a few weeks to show that you are still interested (if contact information is even available).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
It's possible. I've been hired by 2 different labs in the past solely based on submitting customized letters with my resume attached to professors all over the country doing research in which I was interested. I had never communicated with them before but because my credentials fit the needs of the lab, I was offered a position. Networking isn't really a big issue when it comes to jobs like being a research lab technician which don't require that much socializing to begin with.

·
Registered
993 Posts
do you mean professional medium to high paying jobs?

i have gotten contacted by part time jobs from online applications and sometimes you doesn't even take a long time.

·
Registered
707 Posts
When you say "new graduate" do you mean you graduated a few weeks ago? Like are you class of '15...Because if that's the case you shouldn't expect to have a job by now, I mean if you're job hunting in the city just spend months applying for jobs. How many years (months) of work experience do you have?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
About half the jobs I've submitted resumes or applications to, I've gotten a response, if not for an interview, for the next "phase" of HR bullshit. I've only gotten one response that was a rejection, one day later, but that's better than no response. I don't like to flood the market with requests, in case I have to then withdraw from lots of replies--and I was sort of under-qualified for the job. But hey, it's sometimes worth it to apply to things a bit beyond your skill compass. Why not? They can only say "no."

Keep 3-5 going, and even upon getting a job, take a gander at listings now and then.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
All but one of the adult jobs I've gotten in my life - seven of them - have begun with online applications - the one other was a paper application. But I have always gone in person to follow up on them, and always have handwritten thank yous post interview. Networking is awful to me, too, but I'm pretty good in person and at adding a personal touch, so that's what I try to emphasize. All you need, really, is to get the person who hires to like you well enough to give you a shot, and enough basic credentials that no one flips their shit when they check out your background.

Ephemerald said:
But hey, it's sometimes worth it to apply to things a bit beyond your skill compass.
This is true. I feel like my most recent job was pretty out of my skillset but no one seemed to mind because I learned quickly enough and was good enough at putting up with the downside of the position (a bizarre governmental variety of customer service). I used to be totally against applying out of my skillset but now I figure if I can fly by the seat of my pants in the interview successfully enough to be hired, chances are I can do it in the position, too!

5,146 Posts
Only interviews I got from online applications were for working with people and my long memory access times and general lack of ability to bullshit made me fail all of them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah I have tried uploading my resume on the website for employers to view. But I have only gotten one response after a couple of weeks. I don't think this method work for someone who is desperate for a job because the employers will consider the application they received first and only when they are running out of options do they start viewing people's profiles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,792 Posts
Online applications are pretty much the ONLY way to get a job these days unless you have an in with the company (which is very common itself). In fact if you show up in person or try to network you will most likely be told to just apply online instead. Every company I've ever worked for refused to take applications anywhere but online. Even if you're getting your job through nepotism you're still going to have to apply online and then they will just throw out all the other resumes. Most companies require jobs be posted online for a certain number of days. However it is also true that many of these posting are meaningless as the company already knows who it will hire and is posting it only due to a law or policy. So you should keep in mind half the jobs you apply to aren't really even competitive. That wouldn't apply to new grads as much though, it's mostly just an issue with managerial positions.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I have been on plenty of interviews from online applications. I have been also flat out rejected a fair amount of times. So I guess they do check them.

5,146 Posts
Yeah I have tried uploading my resume on the website for employers to view. But I have only gotten one response after a couple of weeks. I don't think this method work for someone who is desperate for a job because the employers will consider the application they received first and only when they are running out of options do they start viewing people's profiles.
I knew one business owner claiming that it's actually the first option for many employers because this way they get people who are more interested in working in a specific field or something like that.

5,146 Posts
Online applications are pretty much the ONLY way to get a job these days unless you have an in with the company (which is very common itself). In fact if you show up in person or try to network you will most likely be told to just apply online instead. Every company I've ever worked for refused to take applications anywhere but online. Even if you're getting your job through nepotism you're still going to have to apply online and then they will just throw out all the other resumes. Most companies require jobs be posted online for a certain number of days. However it is also true that many of these posting are meaningless as the company already knows who it will hire and is posting it only due to a law or policy.
It's so wrong. People waste time and money applying for fictional positions and it creates a false impression on others that there are tons of work but no one wants to work. It's evil.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
It's so wrong. People waste time and money applying for fictional positions and it creates a false impression on others that there are tons of work but no one wants to work. It's evil.
True, though this is one of those cases where I actually kind of understand the company side of it. Who would you rather hire - someone whose work you have already seen and someone who you would have to train less, or someone whose work you've never seen before and who you would have to train in everything? It's less expensive and more reliable to hire internally.

I have known quite a few people who have applied for entry-level jobs with organizations they wanted to work at, even though the entry-level job wasn't what they wanted, so that they could have a better chance of promotion to the positions they ultimately wanted.

5,146 Posts
True, though this is one of those cases where I actually kind of understand the company side of it. Who would you rather hire - someone whose work you have already seen and someone who you would have to train less, or someone whose work you've never seen before and who you would have to train in everything? It's less expensive and more reliable to hire internally.

I have known quite a few people who have applied for entry-level jobs with organizations they wanted to work at, even though the entry-level job wasn't what they wanted, so that they could have a better chance of promotion to the positions they ultimately wanted.
The problem is that it's happening mainly in entry-level and dead-end jobs. There are tons of job offers in stores and similar places where they admit they already have someone in training but the offer hangs for weeks or for months.
It creates an illusion that there are tons of jobs but no one is applying. It's almost like it's all intentional.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Most of my jobs have started with an online application. And at least concerning the world of public schools, it's really important to network. Not in the linkedin sense but with volunteering and keeping in touch with teachers you've worked with in the past.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts