Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I find them TERRIFYING

Votes: 1 4.3%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of guys don't approach or it seems like their afraid to talk to me or something even about the simplest things. There are obviously a lot of factors that could play in like ugly/pretty, annoying etc but I think I'm very much a kind person I just come off a little strong or contradictory or something. They say confident/intelligent women are frightening for some guys but considering the truth, I don't think I'm that assertive...:confused:

Let me know what you guys think about this or give me some tips or experiences you've had.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
It depends on if the INFP is (i) loud (ii) has an annoying voice or any combination of the two.

Strong is fine, and spinning a conversation out into contradictions can be amusing, but being loud or unnecessarily aggressive (e.g., not calm) in conversation I could not overcome. Maybe if I was pretty drunk, but still.

·
Registered
625 Posts
INFP with an INFP partner and mostly INFP friends, here. :p
Some INFPs are intimidating. I've definitely been accused of being cold before, and I think classmates have always been a bit intimidated by me because I'm well-spoken and direct.
Most INFPs are also kind of awkward and I think that's probably the greater issue when it comes to romantic life.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Never intimidating. Only offputting when they refuse to acknowledge reality and stubbornly still cling to their idealistic perspective when the situation deems it necessary to accept a more realistic lens.

Reactions: Severin

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Depends on the INFP. I can think of 2 that I find intimidating because of their incredible high intellect + detached-cold disposition. Others I've met with a high intellect aren't intimidating because they're warm in how they express themselves. Others have average-normal intellect, talk about regular things and not much depth, so nothing to intimidate me.

I have been called intimidating, yes, both by the opposite sex and women in my periferal life, also my mother has told me this. The opposite sex the way the news get to me is that they have conversations with my friends, explain the situation "I can't bring myself to ask her out because she's intimidating" and then the friends tell me the conversations. I'm always shocked. Paticularly coming from types like ISTP and INTJs who in my mind don't care about a fucking thing in the world supposedly.

Their explanation for the word "intimidating" involves describing me as cold, self-controled, highly intellectual, blunt-spoken & unapproachable due to extreme self-reliance and being detached from everyone.

Reactions: Stable Genius

·
Registered
INTP
4,423 Posts
I think I'm very much a kind person I just come off a little strong or contradictory or something.
I have one INFP friend/acquaintance, and I do find her to be very kind but contradictory. The contradictory factor scares me off. (This is not a romantic/dating situation though.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
as an infp im kinda sad that poll has so few people voting X'D i hope we give off a good impression for the general mbti populace ;u;'

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Nope. I find threats intimidating though. Dark tones, violent intentions, etc. INFPs I've known don't do this to me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
They're a bit intimidating. Not because I'm scared of them, but because when I interact with another introvert, it's like the awkwardness doubles and we both end up awkwardly sitting there in silence waiting for the other to make the first move.
Also, INFPs often appear like Thinkers on the surface. They're more intellectual and less (outwardly) emotional than the stereotypes give them credit for.

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
I've never been intimidated by a female INFP. In awe maybe, but not intimidated.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
To alter my response above, which is based on RL encounters, not fake board interactions, I've noticed recently a few extremely unpleasant INFPs here who seem to have some cognitive difficulties, in addition to lacking understanding of convention, and the usual combinations of illiteracy, lack of curiosity, strident logorrhea, and a very prominent incoherence about the central nervous system.

But I'm sure those are the few bad apples, and the rest of those people are regular Frank Serpicos, fighting the good fight.

Or they could just be too young to hold any valid opinions about anything, or to possess an acceptable amount of knowledge of the world or of the literature of their field. They could well be competent technicians in a restricted field at a young age, but obviously not competent in general.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nobody intimidates me. But I find it especially relaxing to be around my female INFP roommate. The way she uses the word "soft", I think that's her personality. She's quiet.

But then again, she's an actress, so she can fake herself to be approachable to anyone and has already done so.

·
Banned
3,318 Posts
Never been intimidated by an INFP.

Have I found them off-putting? Unfortunately, yes. From the Beta functions' perspective, dom. Fi can come off as very unyielding and childish at times.

·
Banned
39 Posts
I always have the opposite problem, they all get really intimated by me and then run away. :sad:

Reactions: FeralDreamer

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I always have the opposite problem, they all get really intimated by me and then run away. :sad:
perhaps You're mingling with the wrong INFP's, or not seeing the assertive (sub)types. Turbulent (sub)types I think get noticed as their type most often, but they are not the entirety of the type.

·
Banned
548 Posts
A lot of guys don't approach or it seems like their afraid to talk to me or something even about the simplest things. There are obviously a lot of factors that could play in like ugly/pretty, annoying etc but I think I'm very much a kind person I just come off a little strong or contradictory or something. They say confident/intelligent women are frightening for some guys but considering the truth, I don't think I'm that assertive...:confused:

Let me know what you guys think about this or give me some tips or experiences you've had.
maby you give off the vibes of being judgmental.or either seem closed off

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,901 Posts
When they're running away, are they shouting "Help! Flasher!"?

·
Banned
39 Posts
When they're running away, are they shouting "Help! Flasher!"?
Generally, "creep" seems to be their preferred term.

HMMM, I notice you're an INFP...

Reactions: Kynx
1 - 20 of 26 Posts