Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
ISFP
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I am just overthinking this, but sometimes when I am alone and bored I start to get carried away by my emotions a lot. I dont really know the cause of these emotions, I can't describe them very well either..but it's like my mind comes up with a lot of images, some of them a bit abstract, to describe how I feel. It's like daydreaming, but focused a lot on my emotions.

I thought this could be Fi, but due to the nature of these images/daydreams, I think some other function could be involved in this process too.

If so, which function is it? And why does it come up so often in these types of situations?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Is it anything like:

"Intuition, on the other hand, receives from the sensation only the impetus to immediate activity; it peers behind the scenes, quickly perceiving the inner image that gave rise to the specific phenomenon, i.e. the attack of vertigo, in the present case. It sees the image of a tottering man pierced through the heart by an arrow. This image fascinates the intuitive activity; it is arrested by it, and seeks to explore every detail of it. It holds fast to the vision, observing with the liveliest interest how the picture changes, unfolds further, and finally fades. In this way introverted intuition perceives all the background processes of consciousness with almost the same distinctness as extraverted sensation senses outer objects."

My friend always envisions herself falling and breaking her teeth against the floor when she's experiencing any sort of emotional tension. Another sees pain as an iron fist through a stomach.

Reactions: Fru2

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
If so, which function is it? And why does it come up so often in these types of situations?
Introverted intuition, a very strong one at that.
There are two factors that would make it show up often:
  • Your introverted nature - As you say when you're alone and bored it comes up. This becomes a direct process if your psych's preferred attitude is introverted.
  • Your type - This strikes me as a dominant Intuitive trait. The emotions serve the images, not the other way around since you've said that you don't know the origin of these emotions. IXXPs are introverted rationals, what you're describing is introverted irrationality - IXXJ.

Check out Jung's description of the functions:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts