Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
INFP(?) 9w1 sp/sx ♀
1,221 Posts
When I ask for reassurance on something I was already going to do or if I propose an idea and someone tells me to go through with it, then I end up feeling slightly more confident in my ideas. However, like @ficsci said, if someone tells me to do something I was already thinking, especially in an authoritative or dominating manner, I get annoyed; if someone nicely asks or understands that I was probably thinking the same thing, I'm all right with it. If a person compliments someone else's action or idea then tells me to act on it or follow it up, I get annoyed. It makes me feel unappreciated, but not really weak.

I guess it also depends how someone tells me to do something. If they kindly ask or offer their own help as they tell me to do something, I'll happily do whatever they tell me and feel happy that I can be of use. However, if they just say are acting as though they are asserting dominance or I'm below them, I'll resist them either by screwing up something trivial on purpose or carrying out the task with an attitude. I don't really feel weak even if I was supposed to feel that way; I feel more annoyed than anything.

·
Registered
4w5
1,535 Posts
I never wanted help in school, even when I needed it badly. I would rather try to figure out things on my own than to ask for help. I do not know why I did not want help, I just did not want to ask. I wanted to do it on my own.

Asking for help does make me feel weak in a way. I feel less independent. I feel less able to handle something alone. Asking for other people's opinions on something I am working with is different. I hate when people think I need reassurance on something. I do not need them to accept anything. If I ask, I only ask because I would be interested in hearing their thoughts about something, not because I needed their acceptance, advice or help.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Interesting topic.

For me, that's actually true. Except for if I ask for advice and other exceptions.
When people tell me what to do, I get the feeling that they don't see me as capable and if I do as they said, it feels like I'd agree on that view.

Reactions: Thread Killer

·
Registered
364 Posts
I hate when people tell me how to do something that I already know how to do.

It just feels like an insult to my intelligence, even when they don't intend for it to be.

I also hate it when people tell me to do something that I was already planning on doing. Because, yeah, that's just annoying.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
More like trapped and deliberated... And empty, cu often times what they tell me to do requires abundaning the way I feel at that moment so I just have to.... Stop feeling....

Ohh yes... When people repeatedly teach you how to do something..... Just don't.... I was working with someone who every day taught me Hun and gain how to do that thing, which I already knew after the first time.... It's insulting, it's annoying, it's useless....

·
INFP
7,090 Posts
Depends. If it is something I would have done myself, and it was asked of me in a nice way, there is no problem. If it was an order, and the person didn't have any authority over me, I would perhaps refrain from doing it just to teach the person a lesson of sorts, at my own cost as it was something I would want to have done as well. If it was something I didn't want to do and didn't think should be done, and I did it all the same, I would feel weak I think, as I succumed to someones authority, where I didn't think they should have any.

·
Registered
499 Posts
asking for help doesnt make me feel weak. However, when someone tries to help me without me asking for it, I get very defensive. I guess it can be kind of insulting to me if the other person doesn't think I've thought something through enough. As someone who thinks up a lot of ideas but doesn't often share them on a whim, I don't like when my self-knowledge in doubted. Almost as if someone is undermining my self awareness and worldviews by telling me what they think is best for me (even if they're trying to help)

·
Registered
655 Posts
no, it actually makes me angry. i understand it's (somewhat, kind of, not really) necessary, but i hate the idea of authority. (this may be an INFP 4 thing though?) i am very "live and let live" so it kind of goes against all that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts