Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just randomly wondering if all the INFJs relate to protectors or to another title like "mystic writer", "author", "counselor", etc.

For me, I'm not saying, I'm not protective or that other INFJs I know aren't protective, but, personally, from my experience, so far, I find Fe-doms tend to be more protective that Fe-aux....I find the title I relate to INFJs according to my experience is one I made up: "The enigmatic sage".....

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yeah I am protective of myself and people/things close to me.
I would take an insult to someone/thing I love personally.
I am a good writer, my professors like my style and I truly enjoy writing.
At home or in a family setting I do act as a counselor, I'm someone who can quietly listen to someone vent and not judge, I may actually offer a solution to your problems.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Hi,

I like the protectors. I have the feeling, to help people by protecting them from many things, physical and psychical. a few days ago, a good friend of mine got mobbed on facebook... and the hell broke loose, MY HELL! I am normally a quiet person, but deep inside my heart broods a berserk:angry:
(I know, most people are able to defend themselves, but...:angry::blushed:)

"mystic writer", "author", "counselor"
I prefer writing to reading. I write good mails to customers. I wrote a book (not published -.-') and several short-stories and poetry (I am still writing everyday for a half of an hour) ... and people come to me for counsel with relationships -.-' work etc. ;'D

Reactions: dulcinea

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
Some profiles give INFJs the moniker of "Confidant". I tend to prefer that. As a 9, I'm not as proactive most of the time as other INFJs. I'm always there for a shoulder to cry on, or a body to hug, or an ear to listen, and I'm always willing to give advice when invited to do so, but I prefer to give people their space and let them come to me. Who am I to invade another's bubble when I so often relish my own?

That doesn't mean I don't relate to the term "protector" though. I do see how it can apply. It's just not as fitting as I would hope for though. All this said, the titles given to types are kinda silly when you think about it. Anyone will step up and protect the ones they love in certain situations. Anyone can dream. Anyone can be in idealist about things. You don't have to be an ISFP to be artistic. Etc.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Some profiles give INFJs the moniker of "Confidant". I tend to prefer that. As a 9, I'm not as proactive most of the time as other INFJs. I'm always there for a shoulder to cry on, or a body to hug, or an ear to listen, and I'm always willing to give advice when invited to do so, but I prefer to give people their space and let them come to me. Who am I to invade another's bubble when I so often relish my own?

That doesn't mean I don't relate to the term "protector" though. I do see how it can apply. It's just not as fitting as I would hope for though. All this said, the titles given to types are kinda silly when you think about it. Anyone will step up and protect the ones they love in certain situations. Anyone can dream. Anyone can be in idealist about things. You don't have to be an ISFP to be artistic. Etc.
the question is: whats with protecting people, you dont love or even know?

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(I know, most people are able to defend themselves, but...:angry::blushed:)
I think I'm mostly protective of people who I don't believe are able to defend themselves too well, or people that other people look down on, but not in the sense that I get in people's faces on their behalf though, just looking after them, like "well, even if no one else treats you with respect I will!"

·
Registered
629 Posts
Funny you bring this up...I've always thought that title didn't feel "right" for me.
I think I'm as much a "protector" as anyone else who cares about people... I've also heard "guardian," which I don't really like, either.
I'm also an Enneagram type 6, which they call the "loyalist."
I'm seeing a theme...
Maybe I'm not seeing myself correctly??

If I was to come up with a word for myself, I'd go to "artist," first...that's been my identity my whole life. I'm an artist, inside and out.
Other than that, the "confidant" title fits me more, I think.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm just randomly wondering if all the INFJs relate to protectors or to another title like "mystic writer", "author", "counselor", etc.

For me, I'm not saying, I'm not protective or that other INFJs I know aren't protective, but, personally, from my experience, so far, I find Fe-doms tend to be more protective that Fe-aux....I find the title I relate to INFJs according to my experience is one I made up: "The enigmatic sage".....
Yeah....I'm not really feeling the title either. Enigmatic sage does have a nice ring to it!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yes, I like it, I like to protect people whenever possible, I feel it is a duty to do what i can to maintain peace, of course nothing to reckless.

·
Registered
324 Posts
possibly the difference between type 1/2 infjs (oriented towards changing the world/helping others) and 4/5 infjs (oriented towards perceiving intuition)

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
My mum is an IxFJ and she's a total protector. I'm leaning towards Ni with her but you can never be sure. She was one of those people that didn't let her kids out in the snow without several jackets on and three spare pairs of gloves.

·
Banned
273 Posts
I think many see the INFJ as unassertive and painfully shy in the stereo-typical sense of the general description and just assume all or most INFJs are that way. Kind of strange for many to put that stereo-type on INFJs but also have that label of "The Protector". I don't see most INFJs in that stereo-type as many others do.

Then you have the fictional Jedi Knight such as Luke Skywalker and Yoda which are listed under many fictional INFJ lists. Certainly those characters would be deemed "Protectors" or "Guardians". One size or label doesn't fit all for sure.

MLK , for example, the label of "Protector" or "Guardian" would fit him well because he stood up for many people and faced grave bodily harm eventually losing his life in the process, but he was also a strong advocate of being non-violent which also many pacifists believe.

Ghandi ,another example that's on INFJ lists , the label of "Protector" or "Guardian" would apply to him as well but like MLK, was also strongly opposed to violence.

Going back to the fictional Jedi Knight, it's odd how most people claim them to be INFJ-like and LOVE doing so, but clearly they are very different in their method of actions as "Protectors" and "Guardians" compared to MLK and Ghandi and yeah...lol... I know I'm going out on a limb with this comparing 2 historically famous and real people to 2 fictional fantasy film characters but I'd just like to see where this goes.

It's just that so many believe in the INFJ stereo-type that the majority are soft,timid,shy,warm,ect. and incapable of inflicting harm. When I see those terms of "Protector" and "Guardian" , I have no issues if violent actions are needed to back them up.

Would MLK and Ghandi ever have been put on INFJ lists if they had been advocates of violence for aiding their rightful cause? I'm just trying to add to this discussion and take it to another level. I would say YES, but many here probably would not. They both had extremely deep feelings for civil rights and humanity and both stood up as being protectors and guardians.

I think the labels of "Protector" and "Guardian" in relation to INFJs can fit both the passive AND those who carry defensive claws and teeth if you will.

For me, I believe in the Knight code of chivalry, the real Knights that is of the medieval period. They could back up their bark with a nasty bite so to speak but they too could carry the labels of "Protectors" and "Guardians"but yet they also strongly believed in PEACE.

·
Registered
970 Posts

I'm VERY protective.
But I prefer "The Empath".

·
Registered
544 Posts
I never really liked the term "Protector" for some reason. Sure, I'm protective, but not to the point where I feel it would warrant a title. I like words like:

-Scout/Advance Guard
-Messenger
-Sage

Things that convey knowing things in advance, looking ahead, being able to inform people of things they might not be aware of.

However, I think Advance Guard makes a nice compromise between Protector and Sage. The advance guard is in charge of clearing the way and protecting the main body from ambushes. As such, they are required to be able to spot ambushes and pitfalls. So they have a protector role that also deals in foreseeing potential events.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
possibly the difference between type 1/2 infjs (oriented towards changing the world/helping others) and 4/5 infjs (oriented towards perceiving intuition)
maybe that's why I feel this way then...

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

I don't think protector sums it up. That's a trait INFJ's likely all possess, but whether life brings that trait out in us is another matter. I will say that INFJ's are probably the most formidable to deal with if our protective instincts do kick-in.

But I like enigmatic sage.

As for counselor... it's actually a bad fit for me, but I think that's because I'm an odd INFJ. My counseling is impractical. My Fe isn't strong enough.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
MLK , for example, the label of "Protector" or "Guardian" would fit him well because he stood up for many people and faced grave bodily harm eventually losing his life in the process, but he was also a strong advocate of being non-violent which also many pacifists believe.
MLK is the archetypical ENFJ with very little doubt surrounding his MBTI.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I considered myself a protector not only of others but of ideals. I will go to the ends of the world to defend what I believe is true and good. Life for me is more of pursuing what I considered to be the highest and noble ideal but I am also a bit protective of others. I don't care much about what others say about me(rare,is hard to find anyone that doesn't like me :p) but hurt someone I care about and we will have a problem lol.

Counselor also seems to fit. Someone once asked me if I was a life coach(apparently I am that inspiring). People ask for my opinion when they have to take decisions and I have this safe/warn aura around me that makes people "confess" some of their darkest secrets .Others see me as a light to follow in times of darkness( don't like responsibility >_>).

The mystic writer fits to a certain extend. I am a mystic but I only write to inspire/heal others. I have a vivid imagination but don't feel the need to share that part of me with others nor translate that to words.

Reactions: ekphysics
1 - 20 of 24 Posts