Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you look at someone you find attractive...at an extreme level doesn't feel so extreme that you want to avoid that feeling?

Or maybe a song or musician... Someone or thing that so appealing to you that you can't bear to listen the feeling is too powerful. I get that with Regina Spektor music... It's just so special that I just can't listen to it... I'd rather listen to some abstract instrumental experimental music.

Or maybe a child that is just so adorable that it's too much to interact with them...

I don't like to feel extreme things, either good or bad... For me I'd rather exist in an intellectual, abstract, grey middle ground.

Except for humor though... If I was told that a movie was going to make me laugh the hardest I ever laugh, is watch it In an instant. If I was told that a movie had the most endearing character, happy ending or attractive woman (attractive to me, which probably isn't Hollywood attractive) I wouldn't watch it... It would be too much to handle.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I kinda know what you're talking about. Its almost like feeling that you'll somehow ruin the sanctity of whatever it is that makes that thing beautiful if you were to interact with it. Or maybe its a feeling that the beautiful thing will somehow drastically change something within yourself if you were to listen to it, and you simply just don't know how to handle that.

I have found this way of thinking to be a sort of red tape I surround myself in in my own life. "Oh I'm not good enough for this" or "I don't know how I'd feel watching this, its not something I'd normally watch" or "I have nothing in common with them, they've experienced so much in life and I feel like I have nothing to say to them or offer them".

Is this what you're talking about?

·
PerC's 6w6
5,874 Posts
If you're talking about what Blickwinkel described then yes, definitely yes...

It's that I kind of don't want to disturb the sanctity of the thing/person and sometimes don't feel worthy of being in their / it's presence. So i tend to stay away from them so as not to bother or pester them.

It usually happens with people I'm extremely attracted to.

I feel it painful to see something so magnificent because I know I can't have it. The beauty isn't nearly as intense if it's within your grasp, though.
Precisely.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I feel it painful to see something so magnificent because I know I can't have it. The beauty isn't nearly as intense if it's within your grasp, though.

Reactions: snowbell

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kinda know what you're talking about. Its almost like feeling that you'll somehow ruin the sanctity of whatever it is that makes that thing beautiful if you were to interact with it. Or maybe its a feeling that the beautiful thing will somehow drastically change something within yourself if you were to listen to it, and you simply just don't know how to handle that.

I have found this way of thinking to be a sort of red tape I surround myself in in my own life. "Oh I'm not good enough for this" or "I don't know how I'd feel watching this, its not something I'd normally watch" or "I have nothing in common with them, they've experienced so much in life and I feel like I have nothing to say to them or offer them".

Is this what you're talking about?
It is close to what I'm talking about... But I don't get the feeling of inferiority though, but maybe it is there in the unconscious thought. It is more about the strength of the experience though... It's like the inverse of not wanting to watch a scary movie as a kid because of the anticipation of the horrible thing. But here it is the anticipation of the quality of it...

·
Registered
344 Posts
With the "disturbing the sanctity" thing, I kind of felt that a few times a couple winters ago.

I love to shoot pictures of flowers and wildlife at the local cemetery, and we had a couple of one-foot snowfalls. Each time, I was the first person into and through the cemetery, and I felt like being the first to trudge through a foot of beautiful snow in a cemetery was somehow ... not really sacrilegious, but definitely inappropriate.

But yes, I feel almost like a knot forms in my throat when I watch a sunset from the top of a mountain, or see a mockingbird harassing a crow in the top of a tree, or look back on many of the millions of pictures I've ever taken.

Kind of like the line in my signature. I think I feel so overwhelmed because I want to be a part of the beauty itself, and I know I can't.

Reactions: refugee

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I think I can relate... I have a tendency to cry when something beautiful strikes me, and so that can make me want to avoid it. I know there are some songs out there that I find deep and beautiful and moving, and sometimes they will come on the mp3 player and I'll skip them because I don't want to feel that intensity right now. Or movies that truly moved me, like Brokeback Mountain, I have only seen twice even though I loved them deeply. I can't handle just watching it again all willy nilly, it has to be the right time and I have to be in that zone. I have to be prepared for it because I know it's going to be powerful and hit me like a ton of bricks, but in a good way.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I can sympathise somewhat and understand, but not really relate. I have felt experiencing something beautiful in one way or another sad because IK I may not experience this feeling again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
yes, only because most things that feel this way are temporary .. im a day dreamer by nature i think i've died and reincarnated so many times already.. I just hope that one day i actually get to enjoy such beauty to the point that i can say i can die today (and i mean and hope when im old and greY)

·
Registered
142 Posts
YES! Now this I can relate to. If I experience something too beautiful, I get this horrible gut wrenching feeling of loneliness, cause I know it'll never be real and I could never have it. I get it so bad sometimes that it actually hurts my insides on a nearly physical level. You guys would laugh if I told you what it was.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Yeah, because I know it won't last forever.

Reactions: SalvinaZerelda

·
Banned
174 Posts
@Tunesimah

Yes, absolutely. Happens all the time when out, seeing really really ridiculously good looking people lol... or listening to Utopian music (sickly happy).. and other times too.

Sometimes the converse is true too, a clammy morose ecstasy and dark sanctitude that comes out of the worst inner pain

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I relish in beautiful pain. I do not hesitate to listen to/see things/appreciate stuff that will make me "suffer" (feel intensely.) Deeply felt emotions are such a huge part of who I am, that I do not want to ever dissasociate with them; they are just part of me (which doesn't mean it's wrong for others to not be emotional/avoid intense feelings.)

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I think I can relate... I have a tendency to cry when something beautiful strikes me, and so that can make me want to avoid it. I know there are some songs out there that I find deep and beautiful and moving, and sometimes they will come on the mp3 player and I'll skip them because I don't want to feel that intensity right now. Or movies that truly moved me, like Brokeback Mountain, I have only seen twice even though I loved them deeply. I can't handle just watching it again all willy nilly, it has to be the right time and I have to be in that zone. I have to be prepared for it because I know it's going to be powerful and hit me like a ton of bricks, but in a good way.
I possess the same sensitivity, but rarely shy away from the pain/sensitive experiences. :) I love sadness and deep melancholy feelings-which doesn't mean that I am actually unhappy. I will readily put a specific song on replay just to "suffer", or will intentionally see an emotional movie to keep my feelings alive. :)

Sweet pain!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I kind of live for that, actually, though I will ration certain experiences I find so beautiful as to be transcendent. My favorite album I play once a month at most and then I have to be in a certain mood and I'll do nothing but lie down in the dark and listen.

I can see where you're coming from, though.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Sometimes when I am reading classical literature, my brain becomes over-loaded by the beauty of it and I start to think I will become spoiled..
I also have this problem with the person I love..
I love him so much that it's difficult to imagine being with him sometimes..

When I feel an excessive amount of joy or something beyond my wildest dreams is right in front of me, I become intimidated by the pure awesomeness of it and feel paralyzed..

I love the feeling of having my mind blown, so I don't try to avoid it, but that feeling can be painful as hell too. :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts