Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've often felt in my life that I'm lucky, that fortunate circumstances find me. I've come to believe pretty firmly that my strong sense of extroverted intuition leads me there. I take risks and make seemingly random choices based solely on gut feelings - and the vast majority of time it works out in my favor. I will give a few examples from my life:

-Intuition makes me take the long route home only to find out later there was a traffic snarl on the usual route that would have held me up.

-Intuition tells me to pay for a product from a more expensive listing on EBAY only to find out the seller randomly would ship it to me for free, thus making it vastly cheaper than the original lower cost listing I could have purchased.

-Intuition tells me to take a university course at a more inconvenient time, only for me to meet a girl I end up dating there.

etc, etc.

Am I making any sense to anyone else?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
yeah i have the same thing. all of my best decisions have come from pure gut instinct. changing to college from school, going travelling to australia (and the many decisions i made while there). the list is pretty extensive.

i took a "year out" to try to be more realistic and rational for some reason last year; in an attempt to "grow up" i think. needless to say last year was crap, i actually caught myself having some of the difficulties other people have that i've never had before, and now i've realigned myself back to my sense of pure intuition. i don't know what i was thinking, and while usually i take the lesson learnt out of every mistake, this past year was pure crap because i didn't necessarily need to learn the lesson in the first place. but i've learnt it now, so there you go.

i LOVE getting a bit of momentum and being in that zone of pure intuition. i don't have to think or worry about anything- i have the creative solution and intuitive answer to everything moment by moment. that's why as a type 7 i hate when things slow down, that's when my intuition slips away from me.

i hate hate hate when i go into second guessing mode- it creeps up on me sometimes, sometimes my intuition actually abandons me, and it's when things go tits up.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
To an extent, I'd say yes. I am a spiritual / religious person, so my own experience is a bit different, but based on the same premise. I often find that the more in-tune I am with myself, the more in-tune I feel with God. The more I rely on my heart and my intuition as my guide - which are gifts that have been given to me just for that purpose - always keeping in mind and asking God what I should do, or where I should go... when I act in this way, good things always seem to follow. Rather than attributing it to luck, I consider these good things to be a blessing. Not a lucky coincidence.

I'm sure that sounded like a bunch of hooey. Examined from a non-religious standpoint, it definitely would just seem lucky.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
As a non-spiritual person, I don't think your intuition gives you luck, and I personally don't believe in luck. I'd say your naturally optimistic ENFP personality notices and remembers happy coincidences more and your dominant Ne makes "Ne = luck" an acceptable possibility.

*INFP party pooper poops again*

*runs away*

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
As a non-spiritual person, I don't think your intuition gives you luck, and I personally don't believe in luck. I'd say your naturally optimistic ENFP personality notices and remembers happy coincidences more and your dominant Ne makes "Ne = luck" an acceptable possibility.

*INFP party pooper poops again*

*runs away*
i don't believe in luck either.. but i believe in believing in luck if that makes sense.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Not really, its not luck.

I tend to carefully size up and calculate things. I'm cautious and only take risks if the rewards are worth it. I think before talking, think before doing anything, a lot of the time overthink before doing anything. I like to maximize efficiency especially if it comes to major life decisions or resources. Do not like making impulsive uninformed decisions. Information is key and cross referencing to get at the truth is even more important.

Its more like i have gut feelings that lead me to check up on things and investigate further. Its quite clear that i know something is up, just not what exactly (thou sometimes it clears up fast enough). I follow my intuition and solidify the gut feeling by cheking with the facts to arrive at understanding which allows me to make good decisions.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I tend to carefully size up and calculate things. I'm cautious and only take risks if the rewards are worth it. I think before talking, think before doing anything, a lot of the time overthink before doing anything. I like to maximize efficiency especially if it comes to major life decisions or resources. Do not like making impulsive uninformed decisions. Information is key and cross referencing to get at the truth is even more important.
Are you SURE you're an ENFP?

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Are you SURE you're an ENFP?
Unsure. I could be anything. My big 5 results point towards introversion, however I'm not highly sensitive and require external stimulation to gain energy, lack of it and the resulting boredom makes me lose energy and i become depressive / grouchy. I'm one of the least social people I know otherwise.

Reclusive 82% vs. Outgoing only 18% <=== social introversion

Calm 51% >=Neurotic 49% <=== normal levels

Unorganized 86% vs. Organized & Planned out 14% <=== highly chaotic, inductive, random and disorganized.

Agreeable 64% vs. Disagreable 36% <=== plays nice but is not a pushover, will prioritize self over others.

Inquisitive 87% vs. Closed minded 13% <=== very open and interested in new stuff.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
@FreeBeer might prove that I have schizophrenia. Hello, me! :D

This comes out the most while I'm playing Magic (the card game) or any board game, for that matter. I play a combo deck (in EDH, Sharuum if anyone cares) that can take a variety of routes to victory, and I analyze each route obsessively on each turn. Should I play this card, find this card, then play this card to get this card out to combo out? Or is it morel likely that he won't be able to answer this sequence? I'm about to die; is there anything I can do about that? Eking out a win when my opponent had me dead the next turn from a well thought-out line IS THE BEST FEELING, YOU GUYS.

Likewise, when a friend and I played board games together (specifically Small World - CHECK IT OUT :D), we'd analyze each others' decisions (there was no hidden information) and correct them if we thought the other made an error. We'd discuss every possible line from every possible angle and actually make each others' turns better (meaning we're both worse off)! We both enjoyed optimization way more than the actual outcome of the game, so that's what we focused on. It also made us much better at the game once other people were introduced and that mode of playing no longer became an option. We already knew the likely good lines of play - we iterated most of them last night!

In real life, this comes out when I drive (what roads could I take to avoid traffic, improve gas mileage, etc.?), work (how many small tasks can I combine into essentially one big task?; policy aside, do I have to do this one time-consuming procedure? why?; etc.), or tutor/teach (what are the fewest concepts I can introduce that will have the biggest effect on their learning/education?). People may not associate ENFPs with efficiency monsters, but I don't think any other type is associated with the types of macro efficiencies we can find! We're the type that will sit back and analyze something and go, "Well, you could become well above-average at this activity if you master x."

Reactions: Scopic

·
Registered
229 Posts
Unsure. I could be anything. My big 5 results point towards introversion, however I'm not highly sensitive and require external stimulation to gain energy, lack of it and the resulting boredom makes me lose energy and i become depressive / grouchy. I'm one of the least social people I know otherwise.

Reclusive 82% vs. Outgoing only 18% <=== social introversion

Calm 51% >=Neurotic 49% <=== normal levels

Unorganized 86% vs. Organized & Planned out 14% <=== highly chaotic, inductive, random and disorganized.

Agreeable 64% vs. Disagreable 36% <=== plays nice but is not a pushover, will prioritize self over others.

Inquisitive 87% vs. Closed minded 13% <=== very open and interested in new stuff.
I suggest you look at this thread, Difference between ENTP and ENFP http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-forum-inspirers/159776-difference-between-entp-enfp.html
Just ignore the a-hole bit! xD

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
l really do think l've had some very, very randomly lucky opportunities so even though a lot of people have directly told me my life was shitty, it evened out.

When l was younger, l was naive enough to think it was connected to some mystical force :kitteh:

A lot of young people feel invincible, so it was that mixed with slight delusion but l always made sure l wasn't making baseless conclusions.

Now, l tend to think we're just more tuned into cues in ways we don't realize, so intensely that they accumulate ad we don't know it.

The opportunities that have found me, were in some way influenced by something l put out first or simply because some part of my unconscious attention was turned in that direction. l may send off signals in several directions and not know it.

Combined with taking in A LOT of information, and not being able to turn that off, you ''return'' something back out of it.

l think this, more specifically is what has kept a lot of shitty people away from me :laughing: They just don't try it or see that l can't be bothered.

Reactions: WMDistraction

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I suggest you look at this thread, Difference between ENTP and ENFP http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-forum-inspirers/159776-difference-between-entp-enfp.html
Just ignore the a-hole bit! xD
:unsure: oh curse you! Now I need to look that up. I dunno, it could be..maybe. I'm really on the fence with T & F. I have personal values and stuff, but there is that whole Fe influence thing (which I hate btw..I don't like all that social crap I'd need to keep track of).

^^; here is a photo (took it 5 mins ago) I'm working...on...uh..several PC builds for the old folks (building a wooden treasure chest PC case - for thun! on the side) and yeah my place usually is full of parts...under the bed, under the desk o the desk...in my laundy. Latley I eat breath and sleep with / on computer parts XD (lets hope I won't have to bake the old GT 9800 in the oven again):

Ne-Si conversation in my head:

Ne: Duuude...this is [email protected] We have another lead!
Si: No, no, no! We have been here a thousand times and you can never fucking decide!
Ne: Bu WHAT IF!? Maybe this time, I think I see a pattern...we have to man, we have to!
Si: Fuck you asshole! You never listen to me!
Ne: I do...its just...this is too much fun?
Si: *throws the motherboard
Ne: *ducks <_< quack quack, fine...I'm going to check this shit out anyway..and stop making me think I have cancer for fucks sake, there is nothing there!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have the same feeling having luck. But I also agree that our positive attitude brings us to see ourselves as lucky.

Right now I am in new job where there is constantly new situations developing but extreme micromanagement on how to perform even simple tasks. I start to notice how this drain on my positive outlook and intuition.

·
Registered
229 Posts
:unsure: oh curse you! Now I need to look that up. I dunno, it could be..maybe. I'm really on the fence with T & F. I have personal values and stuff, but there is that whole Fe influence thing (which I hate btw..I don't like all that social crap I'd need to keep track of).

^^; here is a photo (took it 5 mins ago) I'm working...on...uh..several PC builds for the old folks (building a wooden treasure chest PC case - for thun! on the side) and yeah my place usually is full of parts...under the bed, under the desk o the desk...in my laundy. Latley I eat breath and sleep with / on computer parts XD (lets hope I won't have to bake the old GT 9800 in the oven again):

Ne-Si conversation in my head:

Ne: Duuude...this is [email protected] We have another lead!
Si: No, no, no! We have been here a thousand times and you can never fucking decide!
Ne: Bu WHAT IF!? Maybe this time, I think I see a pattern...we have to man, we have to!
Si: Fuck you asshole! You never listen to me!
Ne: I do...its just...this is too much fun?
Si: *throws the motherboard
Ne: *ducks <_< quack quack, fine...I'm going to check this shit out anyway..and stop making me think I have cancer for fucks sake, there is nothing there!
I mean Myers Brigg Personality is usually about your thought mechanism and how you describe your intuition sounds a lot like ENTP! I have a friend who is an ENTP and people think we're really a like and so does she but when I hear her speak, I just don't see it personally so I suggest you read both and choose which you identify with both! I mean there's more to personality types then just the questions we're asked! :D

OMG I have the urge to join you! It looks so much fun! Like that time I fixed a mini radio when I never even seen it work! My design table looks just like that just with thread, fabric, and needles! And I just love that mini convo! It sounds so much like own head-arguments! But with things trying to distract me and me trying to finish! xD It's like "Cooooookies! Coookies!" and then I'm like "No! Go away! *Throws rubix cube* I must figure out how to make the wires follow x = y2+3!" Yeah... My measuring system is very complicated sometimes :')

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I mean Myers Brigg Personality is usually about your thought mechanism and how you describe your intuition sounds a lot like ENTP! I have a friend who is an ENTP and people think we're really a like and so does she but when I hear her speak, I just don't see it personally so I suggest you read both and choose which you identify with both! I mean there's more to personality types then just the questions we're asked! :D

OMG I have the urge to join you! It looks so much fun! Like that time I fixed a mini radio when I never even seen it work! My design table looks just like that just with thread, fabric, and needles! And I just love that mini convo! It sounds so much like own head-arguments! But with things trying to distract me and me trying to finish! xD It's like "Cooooookies! Coookies!" and then I'm like "No! Go away! *Throws rubix cube* I must figure out how to make the wires follow x = y2+3!" Yeah... My measuring system is very complicated sometimes :')
I thought about it and in my opinion my T-ish side stems more from being a guy, then actual thinking preference. I have a feeling preference no matter how 50-50 T& F is for me. In fact the borderline T and me being a guy would be a clear sign for slight feeling preference (guys are conditioned from birth to be emotionally repressing, inexpressive and autonomous). I'm also type 6 in the ennegaram, which is smack center in the thinking triad. I also have my own personal reasons for disliking people in general (past trauma) and avoid / oppose social crap due to this.

I still make the majority of my decisions through values, I'm just not emotional or expressive in such a way, neither do I care much for comforting others and such stuff, wuld rather provide solutions that work. ENFP it is imo.

^^; as @WMDistraction stated, optimizing is fun.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I thought about it and in my opinion my T-ish side stems more from being a guy, then actual thinking preference. I have a feeling preference no matter how 50-50 T& F is for me. In fact the borderline T and me being a guy would be a clear sign for slight feeling preference (guys are conditioned from birth to be emotionally repressing, inexpressive and autonomous). I'm also type 6 in the ennegaram, which is smack center in the thinking triad. I also have my own personal reasons for disliking people in general (past trauma) and avoid / oppose social crap due to this.

I still make the majority of my decisions through values, I'm just not emotional or expressive in such a way, neither do I care much for comforting others and such stuff, wuld rather provide solutions that work. ENFP it is imo.
Well being F-ish doesn't make you weak or girly, it just makes you F-ish! And you remind me of an ex right now! XD

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Well being F-ish doesn't make you weak or girly, it just makes you F-ish! And you remind me of an ex right now! XD
o_O is that good or bad? In my experience being compared to an ex is 80% of the time something not good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts