Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I hereby invite you to participate in assisting me in order to help me reach a conclusion on my MBTI-type. I understand that since you ISTPs have the most experience with the type at hand, you guys could shed some light on the matter. I will be direct here and just put out everything about me. Go ahead and tell me what you guys think.

First of all, my favourite subjects in school are biology, math and language. I am studying to become a medical doctor. However, I don't study medicine for the innate desire of helping people, but rather because I see it as the best possible career pathway in life.

Linguistics has always come naturally to me even though I have no proper interest in it. I never bothered learning how the language is structured or why some things occur, all I could care about in English class was learning how to use the most apt grammar and the most advanced words.

In addition; I often contemplate about the future and how horrible the world will be. I want to become better than everyone else, I want to reach a certain position where I can do or say whatever I want, and be able to control other people.

Some details (just don't get any S/N ideas just yet):
- I don't care much about peoples feelings, it's more that I don't want to hurt them because I sort of "need" them in a way. I try to be nice because I realise I have something to gain from their friendship.

- I can sometimes get visions after watching something, and when I am in an emotional state (angry, sad) I often reach a deep thinking where I make up new plans and come to new realisations.

- I hate movies, TV, music, video games, drugs etc. I see it as a waste of time. I like debating, but I also see it as a waste of time.

- I dislike stupid people and people who cannot think for themselves, people who cannot see further than where their nose points.

- My personality changes and I can sort of become a "chameleon" where I can adapt to the person I am talking with, and completely change my personality depending on how I predict the person wants me to be. I can also change myself to become whatever I want. I can very easily become dominant, helpful, submissive etc if I feel like that is the best for the situation.

My uncle once commented and was suprised of how dominant I could be, because he always saw me as a friendly guy who was stuck in "his own world".

- I don't like being in the center of attention and I prefer to talk to someone one on one.

- I have trouble initiating things but I always want closure. I hate it when things are left in the dark and I dislike having several things on my mind at once. I work best when I can concentrate on one task, not multitasking.

- I am a very honest person who will say what is on my mind, regardless of the persons feelings. I find that if they ask me what I think, they deserve a honest answer and not something watered down with diplomacy to the point of falsehood.

...Moreover, I am a 5w4 SX/SP.

Cognitive functions result:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************************ (36.1)
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************************* (33.3)
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************** (14.9)
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************************ (48.6)
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************** (34.3)
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************* (19.9)
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************* (25.6)
introverted Feeling (Fi) *************************** (27.1)

Btw, I get INTJ/ISTP/INFJ on tests. My SLOAN is RLOEI.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Can't tell to much from the description as always, but you seem like an INTJ ore than anything else.

Study what Introverted Thinking is (Ti) and then study what it means to use it in a concrete way. Next do the same with extroverted sensing, and look how they would interact with each other in an individual.

If you relate to them a whole load, you are an ISTP.

·
Registered
560 Posts
You're certainly Ni and Se, but it seems more Ni/Se than Se/Ni. So I'm inclined to agree with @Splash Shin that you may be more an INTJ.

It's not all that surprising INTJs can mistype as an ISTP -- I think in certain situations, Ni/Te looks like Ti. In those cases, I like to try to pick out an inferior function for introverts instead. I don't really see any implication of inferior Fe in anything you mentioned, but I see the possibility of inferior Se, for example, your disdain for external pleasures, such as music and tv. Granted, that's not strong evidence (you're not required to like music and tv if you're an SP). But it's more evidence than inferior Fe.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Much more likely an INTJ.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I believe an INTJ from my view according to your handwriting and thought process. Not a ISTP.

Greetings!

However, I don't study medicine for the innate desire of helping people, but rather because I see it as the best possible career pathway in life [ Depend ]

Linguistics has always come naturally to me even though I have no proper interest in it. I never bothered learning how the language is structured or why some things occur, all I could care about in English class was learning how to use the most apt grammar and the most advanced words.[ I can see N and J]

In addition; I often contemplate about the future and how horrible the world will be. I want to become better than everyone else, I want to reach a certain position where I can do or say whatever I want, and be able to control other people. INTJ/ENTJ

Some details (just don't get any S/N ideas just yet):
- I don't care much about peoples feelings, it's more that I don't want to hurt them because I sort of "need" them in a way. I try to be nice because I realise I have something to gain from their friendship. [T/J/P]

- I can sometimes get visions after watching something, and when I am in an emotional state (angry, sad) I often reach a deep thinking where I make up new plans and come to new realisations.[N/P]

- I hate movies, TV, music, video games, drugs etc. I see it as a waste of time. I like debating, but I also see it as a waste of time. [N/J/P] Not a ISTP sadly - Thinking more of INTJ/ENTJ

- I dislike stupid people and people who cannot think for themselves, people who cannot see further than where their nose points. [Not really a ISTP trait , more of a NJ, SJ, or F traits according to the wording and sentence you use]

- My personality changes and I can sort of become a "chameleon" where I can adapt to the person I am talking with, and completely change my personality depending on how I predict the person wants me to be. I can also change myself to become whatever I want. I can very easily become dominant, helpful, submissive etc if I feel like that is the best for the situation. [N/F/P] I do see it, but I usually change base on my work environment.

My uncle once commented and was suprised of how dominant I could be, because he always saw me as a friendly guy who was stuck in "his own world".[ I /N/S/T/P/ J]

- I don't like being in the center of attention and I prefer to talk to someone one on one.

- I have trouble initiating things but I always want closure. I hate it when things are left in the dark and I dislike having several things on my mind at once. I work best when I can concentrate on one task, not multitasking. [I/J]

- I am a very honest person who will say what is on my mind, regardless of the persons feelings. I find that if they ask me what I think, they deserve a honest answer and not something watered down with diplomacy to the point of falsehood. [I/N/J]

·
Registered
454 Posts
First of all, my favourite subjects in school are biology, math and language. I am studying to become a medical doctor. However, I don't study medicine for the innate desire of helping people, but rather because I see it as the best possible career pathway in life. (1)

In addition; I often contemplate about the future (2) and how horrible the world will be. I want to become better than everyone else, I want to reach a certain position where I can do or say whatever I want (3), and be able to control other people.

- I don't care much about peoples feelings, it's more that I don't want to hurt them because I sort of "need" them in a way. I try to be nice because I realise I have something to gain from their friendship. (4)

- I can sometimes get visions after watching something, and when I am in an emotional state (angry, sad) I often reach a deep thinking where I make up new plans and come to new realisations. (5)

- I hate movies, TV, music, video games, drugs etc. I see it as a waste of time. I like debating, but I also see it as a waste of time. (6)

My uncle once commented and was suprised of how dominant I could be, because he always saw me as a friendly guy who was stuck in "his own world". (7)

- I don't like being in the center of attention and I prefer to talk to someone one on one. (8)

- I have trouble initiating things but I always want closure. I hate it when things are left in the dark and I dislike having several things on my mind at once. I work best when I can concentrate on one task, not multitasking. (9)

- I am a very honest person who will say what is on my mind, regardless of the persons feelings. I find that if they ask me what I think, they deserve a honest answer and not something watered down with diplomacy to the point of falsehood. (10)
Everything will be based off me, I know that I'm an ISTP and will be using myself to compare to you. All the points I numbered will be what I'm addressing, just to make it a bit more simple.

1) I don't really care how my future will turn out as long as I'm enjoying life. I don't look for ways to get the best pathway, I flow through life grabbing opportunities when ever they present themselves.

2) If by future you mean at most a month ahead, then yea, I do that a little bit. Most of the time though, I live and think about the here and now.

3) I say and do whatever I want currently without being in any particular position. Not really interested in controlling people either, I'd prefer to work with people than work above them.

4) the Ni overpowering the Fe by a bunch is obvious here. Personally, I do care about other people and I do care about how they feel. A lot less than most people, I agree, but the mental and emotional state of the people I interact with dictates the enjoyment of my time spent with them. If I don't like the person, I'll kick them out and won't look back regardless of how useful they might be to me.

5) When I'm angry or sad, I just work out or punch a punching bag. I don't really do much thinking when I'm angry, or at least I try not to. Got to avoid that Ti-Ni loop.

6) I like movies, music, games, drugs, etc. Fun stuff, don't care how much time I'm wasting as long as I'm enjoying the time I waste.

7) I live in the physical world. Although I may seem to space out a bit and fall into what you would consider "my own world" (I have theory about myself that involves a hyper conditioned Ne - My Ne function might sit equal or slightly below my Ni function), I prefer to do activities.

8) Talking to people is kind of a drag, no matter how one on one it gets. Doing things with people is much more enjoyable.

9) I like doing multiple things at once, a lot more fun.

10) I am brutally honest, but I will try to be a little considerate of how the person feels. Just because I know that I have a need to say what I think even if it might hurt them, doesn't mean I can excuse myself and be an asshole.

I'd guess INTJ or an undeveloped or unhealthy INFJ.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Since other people have actually posted concise, thought-out and meaningful responses; and as an ISTP who thought he was definitely an INTJ (and is therefore a failed INTJ, and an unwarranted expert on the matter :cool:), I think it's my time to shine.

- I hate movies, TV, music, video games, drugs etc. I see it as a waste of time. I like debating, but I also see it as a waste of time. - I dislike stupid people and people who cannot think for themselves, people who cannot see further than where their nose points.
We live for where our nose points. May your excellence, adherence to personal discipline, and general moral superiority always trump my meager attempts at existence. Also, 5w4? That avatar? As your 5w6 sx/sp cousin, don't kid yourself, you're INTJ and you know it.

You should probably read up on the functions and stuff. If you have already, you know you're an INTJ. If you haven't, you'll know. Congratulations, overman.

(Disclaimer: I have mono and I'm really bored.)

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I agree with the prevailing opinion here for most of the same reasons why: you don't sound like an ISTP, and I'd look seriously into INTJ. Most of all, ISTPs do not plan, do not think much about the future, and have no desire to control or be in charge of others in any way; sounds like a ball and chain to us. We like to live and let live.

I would read the results of your cognitive function test alone as INTJ: dominant Ni, definitely Te over Fe, Si (the other introverted perceiving function) also high just to reinforce your Ni-dominance, and Fi and Se in play, too.

Reactions: Accidie

·
Registered
505 Posts
I also do agree that you do sound INTJ. I compare it to the INTJ's I know and you guys fit the descriptions.

There are certain traits that ISTPs also can have which can mistake them for INTJs and vice versa.

"- I don't care much about peoples feelings" - Yup, same here. My ego is pretty big.

"- I can sometimes get visions after watching something, and when I am in an emotional state (angry, sad) I often reach a deep thinking where I make up new plans and come to new realisations. " - I do this often at times too. It's like my brain is trying out scenarios and coming to conclusions. A lot of Ni going on there.

"- I dislike stupid people and people who cannot think for themselves, people who cannot see further than where their nose points." - I couldn't agree more. I find myself telling my wife how I hate some of the unlogical retards I come to meet during the days sometimes.

"- My personality changes and I can sort of become a "chameleon" where I can adapt to the person I am talking with, and completely change my personality depending on how I predict the person wants me to be. I can also change myself to become whatever I want. I can very easily become dominant, helpful, submissive etc if I feel like that is the best for the situation. " I try to do this too. I'm very adaptable and diplomatic. This has more to do with your social competence than type though.

"- I don't like being in the center of attention and I prefer to talk to someone one on one." - Well this makes you an introvert.

"- I am a very honest person who will say what is on my mind, regardless of the persons feelings. I find that if they ask me what I think, they deserve a honest answer and not something watered down with diplomacy to the point of falsehood." - Same here, I tell the truth and if they find it offensive, fuck 'em for asking about my opinion.

Also you should look into how types act according to age. A young INTJ/ISTP acts in a different way from an older more mature INTJ/ISTP. A young ISTP may not plan, live more in the moment or think about the future much, but as you get older you tend to think more about these things.

Reactions: petitpèlerin

·
Registered
420 Posts
Don't use cognitive function tests. They're a waste of time and generally mix up the functions.

Next, this is my personal bias but I dislike MBTI descriptions, most of them are made without a firm grasp of the Jungian basics they were formulated upon. I've read descriptions where Ti gets mixed up with Ni, and Si gets mixed up with Te. So I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with the Jungian basics before attempting any serious typing of yourself.

I used to think I was ISTJ until I went beyond MBTI. Judging by surface mannerisms isn't enough, since depending on the situation and context you can lean one way or the other. And most of the time, we aren't really aware of our own behavior, only our personal perception of the kind of person we are / the kind of person we want to be. This was part of the reason why I kept typing ISTJ- because I admired the order and control that ISTJs are stereotypically known for, and I wanted to emulate it.

Plus MBTI tests don't take in cultural backgrounds or social environments. I was raised in a pretty...strict and morally rigid family with a fairly strong religious slant (Buddhism) so I tend to answer questions with a moralistic leaning- despite my nature as an ISTP, my answers just came out consistently as an ISTJ. In fact, I still test ISTJ on most tests I take even though I'm definitely not one.

Figure out your Dominant function, if you can't- figure out your Inferior, and from there your Dominant. Then analyze your behavior and perceptions to the nth degree- see if they match your understanding of your function preferences. Are you focused on the object or on the subject, do you prioritize values over facts? Or the tangible over the intangible?

Telling me things like "I don't like movies" is meaningless since it gives me no specific information that I can analyze- only the presence of a generalized opinion. You'd be more helpful if you actually explained WHY you don't like such activities, and what was your decision process that led you to that conclusion.

You might want to read this, seems fairly well-written for a type profile. http://personalityjunkie.com/the-intj/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.