Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
No, it's all right! I do that too, actually. Sometimes I'll even stare and think, "Did I really just type all of that?" Because it looks as though I've completely decided to focus on me. I think it's just how I am attempting to relate, though. So, don't worry about it. I'm sure this isn't unique to you. ^_^

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I statements suggest truth in what you are writing, and it becomes a more personal thing, Don't think of it as a bad thing to be doing.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Actually I'm exactly the opposite.

I tend to overuse "we" instead of "I" and constantly needed to remind myself that I should avoid speaking or representing for the entire INFJ tribe as that could upset others if I do not share the same sentiments as them.

Perhaps this may have to do with our differences of Aux-Fi vs. Aux-Fe.

Edit: Interesting topic btw.

·
Registered
134 Posts
*I* do this as well. *I* totally notice it whenever I write. Sometimes when I am writing papers for some reason (school, blog posts, whatever), I'll change things around because there are just *I's* everywhere. But it is what comes naturally and my journal is just a whole big I-Fest. (Or even when I talk, too. I guess it's because I want to relate to other people but I don't want to assume their feelings, either, so I tell my experiences... but it just makes me look self-centered or self-absorbed sometimes. And let's be honest, maybe I kind of am...)

·
Registered
386 Posts
In my junior or senior year of high school, the AP English class I took got me out of that habit. The teacher had us practice writing a thesis, and this habit of starting sentences with "I" was a habit everyone in the class had to break. There were several other key techniques I learned that year, but avoidance of beginning every statement with the same personal pronoun is the one guideline that I refer to most, years down the road.

Reactions: chickydoda

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I've noticed that I do this a lot too. One of my uncle's even pointed out how many "I..." statements I used whilst speaking (I think he was trying to get me to break the habit but... whateva! I do what I want! :p). Like @Julia Bell said, it's how I attempt to relate to people. I don't do it to put the focus on myself, but rather to relate my thoughts to personal experiences or information I have tucked away. :) (I also tend to use people that I know and experiences they've had to substantiate some of my opinions).

I have noticed there are people who will ignore the "I..." statements and continue using your thoughts as a springboard, and there are those who will misread them and think you're being self-indulgent, and subsequently stop interacting. If you feel you need to clarify because you're losing someone's interest, by all means clarify. :)

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Nope. PerC is all about our personal thoughts and development, so it makes sense to me that your posts would start with "I."
Agreed.

This is so hilarious because i think this all the time too, i feel like i come off so self-involved by doing it, but then i rationalise it by realising that it's the whole nature of the forum.

I guess it's partly to do with the fact that we're Fi users, particularly when we're on the laptop we're usually spending downtime and therefore we're using Fi a lot at the exact point at which we're active in this forum, and a natural part of Fi is to relate your subjective views, which inevitably comes with a lot of the word "I".

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I basically do that to share about my opinion. Because opinions are often misunderstood as facts, and I don't want my personal opinions to turn into unreasonable universal facts.Sometimes, my opinions might deal with my personal emotions or thoughts which might not be always objective and reasonable. so that 'I' is just for bordering the differentiation.

And that's how I think.:tongue:

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
It really depends where and why I'm writing. On PerC, I start paragraphs with I, and use the pronoun a lot. I do not write the way I write on an Internet forum when writing a letter, or indeed when drafting documents for work etc. As said already, this is a place to ask for and share opinions. Since they're your opinions I'd expect to see a lot of Is, it only makes sense :).

·
Registered
750 Posts
This has been on my mind lately, I wonder how self obsessed I sound to others. Glad you posted it! For me, I don't even notice it. I assume when someone is talking they have to relate the topic to themselves to make their point.

·
Registered
354 Posts
always (usually) start my paragraphs with *I* statements? It seems so self obsessed to me. I try to avoid it when I'm aware of what I'm typing.
It seems perfectly reasonable for someone to do so when they are on a personality forum where debate and personal opinion are encouraged. I like to read what other people think and what they have to say.

·
Registered
ENFP, 7w6
2,127 Posts
No, quite the opposite is true. Each person can really only speak from her/his own experience, rather than to generalize or speak for others. How else do you speak that way except by opening with the word "I"?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts