Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just recently graduated from high school and finally leaping into the 'big scary world'. I unfortunately just missed out to attend the top universities and have no choice but to go to a fairly average uni to study law.

So does prestige really matter? I know this can be a highly subjective question, but what are all your thoughts on this?

By the way I live in Australia so if any of you know much about Australian uni's that would be great! If not any general advice is fine.

·
MOTM Sept 2014
8,492 Posts
I don't think it matters very much, but it depends what you mean. It is possible there is some correlation between which university a person graduates from and what salary they go on to earn. I'm frankly too lazy to look that up. But having worked for a law firm for years I can tell you there is very little snobbery about where you got your degree. Everybody has to pass the same bar and what matters most is what you achieve after you graduate, your work ethic, how you conduct yourself, who you know, etc. And remember, average by definition isn't bad even if it feels that way. It is average!

Good luck in your studies. I am considering applying to law school next year too.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Here in the UK you need to go to the best University to get top 1:1 degree
Only the highest calibre graduates standing any chance of success and enter into the higher echelons of law
After your degree complete the Bar Professional Training Course
You need money as you must be prepared to endure the possibility of financial hardship from the start of your career,

Only around a third of students undergoing the vocational stage of training (BPTC) will get a pupillage (a kind of legal apprenticeship)
Number of students enrolled annually on BPTC: 1,565

1 - 4 of 4 Posts