Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
ENFP
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At my last job, we had a motivational speaker in who tested us on the MBTI. As an MBTI enthusiast, I was sceptical of where she got some of her information - so I'm putting it to the forum.

I live in Manchester, England. She said that, despite being tested as extraverts, if we were tested in America, we'd all test as Introverts because Americans are naturally more extraverted than British people.

Everything I have read points to the fact that the MBTI is natural and wouldn't change depending on where you live. This speech about it changing depending on the country seemed like it would be more because of nurture rather than nature.

I would think than we would always keep our natural preferences on the MBTI scale but there must be some social conditioning that makes us act in a more socially acceptable way depending on where we live. This makes much more sense to me.

What is everyone's feelings on this?

·
Registered
ISTP 5w6
3,186 Posts
I think its a possibility.
Every country has its own culture and raises kids on a different way.
I also think that in my country (The Netherlands) people from the south and west are more extroverted than the ones from the north.
I think it has to do with nurture by culture.
But I might be wrong, its just a theory.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd like to see some studies, but it could be either nature or nurture that would cause variations from country to country. A different gene pool could result in different likelihoods for types, or, alternatively, the societal differences might shape their behavior.

·
Registered
897 Posts
She probably meant that answers to some of the introversion/extraversion questions are heavily influenced by culture rather than personality alone, because they're about social behaviour which is heavily influenced by social expectations and convention. So that has to be taken into account when interpreting the results. For example, most people from Southern England rarely initiate conversations with strangers in public places, whereas extraverts from the USA often will. It's not necessarily because they wouldn't enjoy it, but because they don't want to bother or intrude on someone's time and attention univited for no good reason, and look like a weird, slow or lonely person desperate to make friends (because those people are the ones who would usually break the cultural norm of ignoring strangers to "leave them in peace"). For another example, in some countries, American style parties aren't a thing and are hard to translate, so any questions about them are quite useless.

I've not been to Manchester but my understanding is that most of Northern England is much less reserved than the South, so the interpretation might not need to be very different than it is for American answers in your case, I don't know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts