Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ne is generally considered an optimistic function that's looking to the future and always scanning for alternative ideas. And seeing as we ENTPs don't have a strong F function, we're not overly sensitive beings either (most of the time, I'd imagine).

A couple of weeks ago, mentioned to me that they thought I was very innocent and naive. This someone, I'm not sure of their MBTI, appears to be an over-analysing person who's really sensitive about what others say and can recall the tiniest negative things they've encountered in their lifetime. This person is really closed off and private, to the extent where you don't know if they're lying most of the time because they just seem to hide everything.

Does anyone think that our Ne and low F can give this kind of feeling to others? And what types do you think may interpret us this way? I think that just because I'm direct, open and comfortable about who I am, that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm not aware of the dangers of the world. I am optimistic, and I care much less about what others think of me than certain types, but that doesn't mean I haven't got any secrets or that I'm an open book or that I'm not cunning at all...

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
'F' has nothing to do with sensitivity, sensitivity is dependent on the nervous system. It's come forward that "emotional" and "physical" sensitivity are one and the same thing and people who tend to be sensitive to external stimuli, in (one/some of) their 5 senses, are also emotionally sensitive. xNTxs or other thinkers can be as sensitive as anybody else, we just process that sensitivity differently. We're likely to ignore what we are sensitive to emotionally (or even physically) if our rationality demands it. You also cannot really generalize that 'Fs' are "sensitive" to their own emotions necessarily. Both Fi and Fe are pretty different functions that are focused in different directions. An INFJ can be somewhat insensitive to someone being rude or inappropriate to them because they don't really consider how they themselves feel about things as much as others feel about them and can have a moment, afterwards, where they think "oh wait, what they just said is kinda rude" -- ENTPs with a developed Fe can have that too.

ENTPs do have a childlike quality to them, not necessarily naive (though there are instances where ENTPs can show naivety of some sort: we often expect the best from people and are kind of surprised when we get the worst. Though the opposite is possible too). Ne-Ti makes us constantly ask quenstions. We never grew out of that phase little kids are in where they ask questions about how the world and people work. We're kind of like the 5 year old kid who asks their parents why the sky is blue.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes absolutely, Ne comes off as innocent, naive, child-like and unduly enthusiastic about seemingly unimportant things. ENFPs are the same way. Some misinterpret it, why is that a problem for you?
Oh it's not a problem for me, but I wonder if people may think naivety = stupidity. That we're really easy to beguile. Like, do people underestimate us? Because I would think we're not a bunch of daft idiots, just because we are child-like and enthusiastic.

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
Oh it's not a problem for me, but I wonder if people may think naivety = stupidity. That we're really easy to beguile. Like, do people underestimate us? Because I would think we're not a bunch of daft idiots, just because we are child-like and enthusiastic.

Yes some will think you're stupid, gullible, idiotic & immature. I've noticed it since I was a kid, but I never felt the need to justify myself. ENFPs OTOH do, because they have a greater need to be liked. Can't you think of it as an advantage? Worst thing one can do is underestimate the opponent, it gives you the advantage of surprise.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes some will think you're stupid, gullible, idiotic & immature. I've noticed it since I was a kid, but I never felt the need to justify myself. ENFPs OTOH do, because they have a greater need to be liked. Can't you think of it as an advantage? Worst thing one can do is underestimate the opponent, it gives you the advantage of surprise.
I do see it as an advantage. :p I just felt that it's very superficial to judge someone as being stupid, just because they're more optimistic. Probably shows their stupidity more, but I suppose people do judge based on even shallower things like physical appearances and such. For me, this is my first time personally hearing someone think this way about Ne. But I suppose people don't always get to hear what others think of them. Good on you for having noticed earlier, I must say.

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
I do see it as an advantage. :p I just felt that it's very superficial to judge someone as being stupid, just because they're more optimistic. Probably shows their stupidity more, but I suppose people do judge based on even shallower things like physical appearances and such. For me, this is my first time personally hearing someone think this way about Ne. But I suppose people don't always get to hear what others think of them. Good on you for having noticed earlier, I must say.

We're guilty of that too, we underestimate Sensors, we think Feelers are too fragile. I tend to underestimate ENTJs, Te seems too linear and un-creative.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I find that attitude to Ne can be useful. I am fiercely independent about most things and yet members of my family think it's funny (if not sometimes annoying probably) that I can be so scattered. They seem to like helping out where they can with organisational things in particular and I can play the naive card sometimes to everyone's liking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts