Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an INFJ which means that I'm Ni-dom.

I was just wondering if anybody has experienced these kind of things:

My friends always tell me that I am the world's worst storyteller. Whenever I try to tell a story, I always get so caught up in it and I break quite often to recollect my thoughts. My friends always poke fun at me because my stories tend to be anticlimactic.

Also, I have a hard time writing in pen because I am constantly scribbling out words and rewriting sentences. It's funny because while doing an AP physics test one day, I ended up scribbling so much that I had to get a new sheet of paper because there was literally no room left for me to write.

It might just be that I tend to be all over the place. I don't know. What do you think?

Thanks!

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
I've got a rudimentary handle on this cognitive processes thing, but I think that it just takes practice. I became awesome with presentations and telling stories by experimenting and learning from my mistakes. :)

I'll still have flops, but it's part of the fun of figuring it out.

·
Banned
2,005 Posts
Not sure if it's Ni, but I do indeed have these problems. My INTP partner mocks me relentlessly for being a poor oral storyteller. It's mostly if I try to relay thoughts as they come to me, which is often in a disorganized way; by contrast, I'm told I'm an exceptional writer. Likely because I have time to better structure my thoughts before putting them into words, have the chance to re-arrange things for coherency, and so on.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
It takes me a second to order my thoughts together in a fluid and sensible (to the outside's perception anyway) manner. I am much more capable expressing myself through writing things down than speaking them out loud. I do have a habit of omitting words in my sentences that I can't even pick up when reading it back however. Many instances people will read something I've written and get the "huh?" face.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I can do that- start telling a story and have it be anti-climatic (hmm, thought I was going somewhere with this..) I have to collect my thoughts before telling the story to avoid that.

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
I dislike telling stories. Maybe the reason has something to do with this, idk, I'm not very good at going into detail about events. Most of the details seem irrelevant so I just get to the point and say what happened rather than explain step by step how things unfolded.

I don't mind hearing stories though, as long as they're not a five minute long ramble about your drive home from work. Or what happened at work, for that matter..

·
Registered
404 Posts
My mom is an INFJ and she is THE WORST STORYTELLER OF ALL TIME.

Her: Something hilarious happened at work today
Me: Okay?
Her: Uhm.. I was at work, you know in that building... The biggest one. Where the other departments are also located... and I met Tom from work. You remember him right?
Me: Yes.
Her: He is the guy who visited us three weeks ago with his wife... Quite tall, was wearing a brown suit...
Me: I said I remember him. Continue!
Her: Well we met at lunch... Or was it before 4 pm? Hmm... I am not so sure... No... It was at lunch because I had just tried the new salad which they had at work.... Mexican salad. Have you tried those?
Me: Yes, get to the point.
Her: Oh, well. He has a son, Benjamin...
Me: Yes.
Her: The one who is a year younger than you who playes basketball. You played together when you were kids.
Me: YES I REMEMBER HIM
Her: Oh.. Well, anyways, Tom sat down and we started talking about his research project... He is working on a project where they measure the results that boys get in school on a national level and compare them to how they fare at university later.
Me: Okay?
Her: We started talking about our children and Tom said that his son also wanted to become an engineering student like yourself.
Me: Okay. Go on
Her: That's all.
Me: What? Was that all?
Her: Yes.
#facepalm#

It is always like that. She takes FOREVER to get to the point, because she has to include all these unrelated and uninteresting details. And then she backtracks herself, because she is unsure about whether the unimportant details were correct or not.

I actually find it really funny to listen to her when she tries to be funny by, for example, telling a joke, since she is so ridiculously bad at it.

Reactions: Owfin
1 - 9 of 9 Posts