Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are people out there who cling to meaningless things like their: MBTI type, school, job title, fame, how they are being perceived by others etc.

Can people who strive to conform in such a way be Ni-dom? Or does Ni-dom mean that you don't care the least about such trivial things. Instead you put your time and energy on interesting problems, like how a system can be transformed to be more effective, or how humanity can prosper through new inventions?

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
My Ni is interested in the way stuff works, how systems work. It doesn't matter if there is social value or not. Some things my Ni has recently had fun with:

-Raising red wiggler worms and figuring out their optimal environment
-Designing a sweater pattern and seeing if it worked. It did!
-Playing a Boggle like game in which you try to make words out of letters on a grid. I spend way too much time on this pointless game.
-Playing the alto recorder and figuring out how the fingering is different than on a soprano recorder
-Watching a Star Trek marathon and making fun of the "science" on it
-Designing a superhero party for kids, and coming up with stations that could test different superpowers
-Thinking up my own version of Star Trek, with a more realistic profit driven society. No prime directive!
-Reading Lolita and trying to figure out just how unreliable a narrator Humbert Humbert really is

My Ni is clearly quite the dilettante, and is quite happy to focus on trivial things, as long as they are interesting. My other functions, Te and Fi, care more about making society work. But honestly, if I was looking for real improvements in society, I would count on my ENFJ husband's Fe driven need for social justice far more than my curiosity driven Ni. He has the drive to go out and make things happen. Me, not so much.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
There may be a relationship between Ni obsessing over something and the meaning that it has for the individual.

In other words, that "Ni obsession" leads to "perceived meaning" for [whatever subject is]. Or that "perceived meaning" leads to "Ni obsession" for [whatever subject is].

But I don't think the function itself has anything to do with discriminating between what society values and what individuals value. Perhaps its tendency to have vague, almost mystical-seeming perspectives can induce the attitude of non-conformity in Ni-doms.

I'd suppose that that's about it.

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
No. My Ni is entirely interested in trivial things and uninterested in more pressing matters. I love esoterics and all things related. A less useful thing to be involved in I cannot imagine. But it does add colour to my life that I cannot find in other things. Reality is boring, I don't really want much to do with it. I love patterns, finding them, correlating them and interpreting them. It doesn't matter to me at all that I'm not curing cancer or solving society's problems. I've turned escapism into an art form.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
There are people out there who cling to meaningless things like their: MBTI type, school, job title, fame, how they are being perceived by others etc.

Can people who strive to conform in such a way be Ni-dom?
Yes.

Or does Ni-dom mean that you don't care the least about such trivial things.
No.

Instead you put your time and energy on interesting problems, like how a system can be transformed to be more effective, or how humanity can prosper through new inventions?
Ni is definitely interested in thinking about subjunctive scenarios. Te is going to think about these from a more practical point of view (what is the utilitarian gain from such and such) and Fe is going to be more interested in thinking about them from a humanitarian perspective (what is the social gain from such and such).

But I don't think the function itself has anything to do with discriminating between what society values and what individuals value.
You're right, because this would be Fe and Fi.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Ni synthesizes meaning based on pattern recognition. This person did such-and-such around me repeatedly so it must mean he is interested in me. This-and-that happened in my community so it must be a sign that things are going down the drain.

It does not necessary hone in on meanings created by society. Nor is it logistical and goal-oriented. Te is logistical and goal-oriented, telling the user what is and isn't worth her time.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Your question is pretty loaded. In one sense, Ni-doms do tend to participate in the world in a deeper way and tend to forgo material or inane interests. But that doesn't say anything about what types of things interest them. You rattled off a list of presumably meaningless focuses (including MBTI type, you clever clever thing) but an Ni-dom could care about any one of those things. It isn't the what but the how. It's how an Ni-dom pursues or considers those interests and uses them for their ultimate goals (efficient systems via Te or nurturing harmony via Fe). We might probe it deeply or systemically but that doesn't mean we can't care about schools or jobs and the like.

As for conforming, those who are insecure and need a place to fit will try harder to find somewhere to do so. That's true of any immature type. Those who need to prove something feel a lack in themselves. Ni-doms may come off as nonconformist but that has less to do with forgoing the need to fit in and more to do with how our orientation perceives the things we do focus on.

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
i wouldn't assume that the only thing that could make a person take an interest in things you deem meaningless is 'conformity'. that's far too simple and it slightly twists the intention of function theory - at least in so far as i understand what function theory is, through my fog of couldn't-care-less. you're taking something that's really supposed to be a pretty impartial concept about neurological/cognitive preference, and trying to spin some kind of value/virtue equation from it.

it's almost like saying 'left handed people are better humans'. it doesn't line up. most right-handed people are using their right hands because that's their inborn neurological preference, not because they're going along with the crowd.

remember too that 'meaning' is a completely experiential idea. it doesn't exist in and of itself. there isn't really any external and global absolute version of 'meaningful'. so there's no point trying to put a yardstick on stuff like this and work out whose is bigger, because the yardstick doesn't exist.

it's about which kinds of things fit with people's value systems. and mbti does include the concept of value systems, sure. but arguing about who is better and who is worse is silly.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
It's almost like saying 'left handed people are better humans'. it doesn't line up. most right-handed people are using their right hands because that's their inborn neurological preference, not because they're going along with the crowd.
When someone comments on my left handedness, I always inform them that lefties are better people. It's surprising how many right handed people actually say that they agree with me. I'm joking, but they seem to be serious.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts