Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an IxTx atm, and am just wondering if one's personality type has to do with intelligence. I have been told that I am smart simply by the way I act and look which has always intrigued me. Do you believe that, for example, INTJs are smarter than ESFPs, or is this just preference of dealing with situations and it does not define your intelligence? Any evidence supporting either way or just ideas and observations are welcome.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
There've been studies which have shown MBTI correlations with IQ, so if you see IQ as a reasonable measure of intelligence (and to do that, you'd need to settle on a definition of intelligence), you could probably make a case (although any study done can be questioned on the grounds of how it typed people, not to mention the obvious stuff like sample size). Others more familiar with the studies might be able to link you to them. Such a correlation would, of course, say nothing about any individual within that type, and merely indicate a tendency. It is the individual who fits into the type category, not the type which defines the individual.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
This again?

No.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
Feel free to answer subjectively then.
Well in my opinion, there is no correlation. Just watch out for the people on here who will tell you fake "facts", like lists of MBTI types by average IQ or "A majority of university students are intuitives and 85% of National Honors students are intuitives"

The people who cite fake "facts" and "statistics" really annoy me. I mean seriously, if you look up REAL statistics, the odds that the creative, educational, and white-collar fields are made up so heavily of intuitives are astronomical to the point of being near impossible.

Reactions: Sabrah

·
Registered
INFJ
5,863 Posts
It does not. I even started a thread about this: Intelligence is NOT a personality trait. It's merely a qualifier. It does not correlate to type. Also, there's different kinds of intelligence, and who can say one kind is more important than another? I'm sure a college professor with a doctorate appreciates that mechanic who may just have a GED and some training, but can take a car apart and put it back together when her car breaks down.

Reactions: kittenmogu
1 - 9 of 9 Posts