Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mainly Si types, as their entire perception is based around their memories and experiences. Not so much with the others.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does that make their memory better than other types? I've met some ESFPs with some great memory recall...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pi types? Never seen that notation before... you only subscript S,N,T,or F normally... but hey, I'll ignore my extremely J based OCD and roll with it. (Assuming you take Pi to mean IxxP's)

I don't think that IxxP's necessarily reminisce more than other types. Perhaps this is coming from your own experience? Regardless, there are a few reasons for why you're not quite correct. One such type could be the IxSP, and SP's are notorious in-the-moment type creatures, hence reminiscing for them is a waste of time, a bore, and impractical. Also, never mistake thinking or pondering for a while as reminiscing... the two can sometimes be confused.

Also the IxFP, if the F is VERY STRONG, can reminisce a HUGE amount... If there is a very strong emotion, such as love or loss, attached to an event, regardless of the rest of your letters, a xxFx is going to remember it, especially if it was harmful / scarring.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pi types? Never seen that notation before... you only subscript S,N,T,or F normally... but hey, I'll ignore my extremely J based OCD and roll with it. (Assuming you take Pi to mean IxxP's)

I don't think that IxxP's necessarily reminisce more than other types. Perhaps this is coming from your own experience? Regardless, there are a few reasons for why you're not quite correct. One such type could be the IxSP, and SP's are notorious in-the-moment type creatures, hence reminiscing for them is a waste of time, a bore, and impractical. Also, never mistake thinking or pondering for a while as reminiscing... the two can sometimes be confused.

Also the IxFP, if the F is VERY STRONG, can reminisce a HUGE amount... If there is a very strong emotion, such as love or loss, attached to an event, regardless of the rest of your letters, a xxFx is going to remember it, especially if it was harmful / scarring.
With Pi I mean introverted perception, so Si or Ni types, IxxJs ExxJs IxxPs ExxPs in strength of usage... Would you say as an ESFJ you think you reminisce more than INTPs? Better memory? Do you think you view memories differently than us?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ohhh ok, I see where you're coming from :) I don't reminisce at all to be honest, perhaps it's because my E keeps me active, but I don't ever really sit down and think about / dwell in the past. For me... something from the past (an emotionally charged event for example) will pop into my mind, maybe for an instant, and that emotion (be it happiness, fear, sadness, guilt, regret, or any other such strong emotion) will push me to get up and do something... For example, while some may sit back and think about all the fun times they've had recently with loved ones, I'll get hit with such a sensation for a second, and then get up right away and start planning when I can see them next.

There is ONE exception to this, and it has to do with VERY EMOTIONALLY charged events... from experience I'm thinking like a death in the family. Speaking purely from experience and what I know about ESFJ's, I resent change, and I am as F as can be, meaning that a death in the family devastates me. The ESFJ is all about family, and when that is disrupted, especially by a death or tragedy, we go into a sort of mental lockdown, where all we can be found doing is reminiscing, some may even challenge their fate as these points, etc... but the stage eventually passes, and again memories are turned into motivation. :)

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,214 Posts
This is something I've wondered about.

I remenisce a lot. I'm constantly reminded of things in the past, and I tend to retell the same stories of experiences whenever a similar one happens. I suspect that at least in part I picked this up from my mom, because she does that all the time too. She's ISTJ and I'm INFP, we both have Si, which made me speculate that it might be related to that, because in contrast my ISFP husband doesn't seem to tell a lot of past stories like that (his are more like very recent past, and only this one time). I get the feeling that he finds it a little out of place that I'm constantly bringing up and re-telling these same memories, whereas with my mom we kind of lived by this repeated script - like every time we go to a certain place we retell eachother the same things we associate with it, whether it's a 'story'/event or simply a thought/oppinion/feeling that it once triggered, and thus re-triggers every time. We'll say the exact same lines pretty much, even though we both know we've heard it before, saying these things have become part of the experience now.

An example would be like every time we go to a certain park and walk under a certain tree my mom will say "I love willow trees. I remember playing house under the gigantic one that stood near my grandparent's house. The branches drooped all the way to the ground and made a wall of leaves." I've heard it a hundred times, but if we walked under that tree and she didn't say it, I'd tell it to myself in my mind. And then I'll say "Remember when Amy had her birthday party here? and the dog ate all the hot-dog buns?" And then I'll be picturing the dress she was wearing, and the cake, and the other people there and the feeling of being all sandy while sitting on the swings watching everyone else running around.

This plays a huge part in my dislike of change, because when my environment and activities change those particular memories are nolonger regularly triggered, and I feel like I'm loosing a part of myself.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ni types act like all time is the same time. Whatever the equivalent of reminiscing is for that, we do a lot.
Could you expand a bit on that? From my understanding of Ni it has a lot to do with the perception of time.

·
Registered
650 Posts
According to socionics types with Si (in any function order) are more nostalgic, look to the past and so on, where as Ni types (in any order) look to the future.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Could you expand a bit on that? From my understanding of Ni it has a lot to do with the perception of time.
Well, take a concept or a system like the branching template of a tree - The 'branching system'. That branching pattern can be seen in road maps and also in human veins. When I consider this I'm considering 'branchingness' not a particular event in time or thing that I saw.

If I was to cut myself and start thinking about veins I might draw parallels between roads and trees. I'm not thinking of a specific memory in the past of a specific tree, I'm just thinking of branching itself.

Ni types may remember certain past moments but they are platforms that are jumped off to reach governing concepts usually, like jumping from a memory of veins or trees into the idea of 'branchingness'. That branching theme might lead you to invent a system for organizing your computer files tomorrow or it might mean you figuring out someones driving route to your house last week. It is still the same timeless concept either way, you can point it pastwards, futurewards or be reminded of it in the present. You might apply the concept to something creative or something professional, something personal, public, esoteric or physical. It has no context of it's own. Something can branch outwards and grow, or it can retract, say if it was burning. It's completely open and so becomes a 'thought technique' in the tool belt.

In a more material way Ni makes me perceive time strangely because I can spend so long doing it I can walk 20 minutes to the supermarket at jolt 'awake' with shock when I realize I'm there, as the walk was carried out basically on autopilot. I was in the TIMELESS ZONE.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, another question, is introverted perceiving what is used when visualizing? Personelly, my Ne may dream up all these scenarios, but is it my Si that visualizes the idea clearly or is that still part of Ne?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Ok, another question, is introverted perceiving what is used when visualizing? Personelly, my Ne may dream up all these scenarios, but is it my Si that visualizes the idea clearly or is that still part of Ne?
I was under the impression that visuals are dictated by individual brain regions and not functions. Dario Nardi's book has a list for each type showing how much each type likes to use the separate individual regions, it doesn't follow a function pattern.

There are 3 or 4 regions that do different types of visualizing as well as some other things. The visual engineer region is the CGI style visuals, that's the one INTPs would go to for visuals first, although INTPs aren't a particularly visual type.
ISFPs are like so ridiculously visual it hurts to even conceive of it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was under the impression that visuals are dictated by individual brain regions and not functions. Dario Nardi's book has a list for each type showing how much each type likes to use the separate individual regions, it doesn't follow a function pattern.

There are 3 or 4 regions that do different types of visualizing as well as some other things. The visual engineer region is the CGI style visuals, that's the one INTPs would go to for visuals first, although INTPs aren't a particularly visual type.
I would be very interested in seeing that list, is there any way you could post it on here?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I spend 90 percent of my time reminiscing in the past or planning for the future. I'm very RARELY in the present. I think like at Bardo said, its a Ni thing

·
Registered
2,258 Posts

I thought INXJs were the most visual thinkers of all types. I can't remember where I read about it in more depth it, but the text was referring to the Nardi book.
Quick google didn't yield proper results either, but again I found a reference to the visual nature of INXJs via second hand source.

The INFJ personality type tends to rely on the visual part of the brain more often than other personality types. In fact, according to Dr. Dario Nardi’s The Neuroscience of Personality both the INTJ and the INFJ are strong visual thinkers who use the O1 and O2 regions of the brain frequently. (“O” stands for the occipital lobe of the brain which is the visual cortex).
I can say I personally have a very visual mind. That's why I made a mental note of it because I found it interesting.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I thought INXJs were the most visual thinkers of all types. I can't remember where I read about it in more depth it, but the text was referring to the Nardi book.
Quick google didn't yield proper results either, but again I found a reference to the visual nature of INXJs via second hand source.

I can say I personally have a very visual mind. That's why I made a mental note of it because I found it interesting.

INxJs both have the visual engineer (O1) as their 4th region of 16, making us pretty visual.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts