Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In short, Schizoid Personality Disorder (SPD) is a disorder characterized by people who lean towards a solitary lifestyle, who don't express their emotions (very well) and who have a lack of interest for social interaction.

Generally, ISTJs are described as being dependable and orderly, but are also said to be relatively, largely introverted (hence the 'I') and expressionless.

After going through that Wikipedia entry I linked, I recognize so many aspects of myself in that page that it's almost disturbing. I always knew I was different from everyone around me and I've oftentimes been miserable being forced to go to school and such. But it all makes sense now... And after finding this out, I'm not sure what steps I should take to rectify this "problem". Should I even seek to?

Is there a correlation between ISTJs and hints of SPD? Should SPD even be considered a "disorder"? Is it that much of a bad thing that it should be considered disruptive to one's self-development?

·
Registered
46 Posts
From what I've heard, there are a bunch of traits associated with OCD that could be applied to ISTJs as well, so I'd be inclined to say that there probably isn't a correlation between SPD and the ISTJ personality type specifically. I think the main difference between the shared characteristics is that they seem to have negative effects in those with SPD (such as "takes pleasure in few, if any, activities," also a hallmark of depression). I know plenty of ISTJs can support that while they really do need their alone time (like I do), they don't completely avoid/loathe social interaction.

It probably wouldn't hurt to talk to someone more qualified though, especially if you feel that it's interfering with everyday life. But until you do, it's best not to self-diagnose (for the same reasons they tell you not to use WebMD's symptom checker, as you can end up with possibilities much worse than it probably is.).

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
No .

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your responses. I suppose this is more of an issue with my own individual personality than the actual personality type, even though strong introversion could be associated with the disorder. Finding out about this disorder and learning that I had a lot in common with it was quite surprising. I don't actually know if I have SPD, but it would explain quite a bit.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
I think I may have SPD, and its just a way of life for me, nothings wrong as the word "disorder" seems to indicate. I found many ISTJ's live in a similar fashion to my isolated ways, and I do think there is a higher occurance of SPD amongst ISTJ's than other types, but what do I know eh

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I think I may have SPD, and its just a way of life for me, nothings wrong as the word "disorder" seems to indicate. I found many ISTJ's live in a similar fashion to my isolated ways, and I do think there is a higher occurance of SPD amongst ISTJ's than other types, but what do I know eh
Most schizoids believe themselves to be fine.

# Indifference to social norms and conventions.
# Preoccupation with fantasy and introspection.
# Lack of desire for sexual experiences with another person.
I meet those myself.. on the INTJ forum they had a thread just like this.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Most schizoids believe themselves to be fine.
I call it a matter of culture which comes from a way of life. If I was the most talented football player in high school during my time I would be a different person myself. Instead I took the path that I did and fit more into the lone category than groupy. All just a matter of values based on your upbringing.
I meet those myself.. on the INTJ forum they had a thread just like this.
I've read a good handful of the ENXX forums to understand they are a very different animal than us, and based on what I seen there I could be confident to say we have SPD more than them, therefore there would be an uptick of SPD on our part. I don't act like I know it all about each of the MBTI types as they bore me to death, I care much more about the enneagram typology. Merely my humble opinion, wasn't looking for an argument and still not.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
In short, Schizoid Personality Disorder (SPD) is a disorder characterized by people who lean towards a solitary lifestyle, who don't express their emotions (very well) and who have a lack of interest for social interaction.

Generally, ISTJs are described as being dependable and orderly, but are also said to be relatively, largely introverted (hence the 'I') and expressionless.

After going through that Wikipedia entry I linked, I recognize so many aspects of myself in that page that it's almost disturbing. I always knew I was different from everyone around me and I've oftentimes been miserable being forced to go to school and such. But it all makes sense now... And after finding this out, I'm not sure what steps I should take to rectify this "problem". Should I even seek to?

Is there a correlation between ISTJs and hints of SPD? Should SPD even be considered a "disorder"? Is it that much of a bad thing that it should be considered disruptive to one's self-development?
this is so funny, i was just thinking about this. well, if you look at the autism thread, we also seem to have aspergers tendancies, that dosn't mean we have aspergers. but i wouldn't put it past us.

Reactions: niss

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I dont think so either. Ive been told by one of my best friends (an ENFP to boot) that I am one of the most expressive people she knows. She said my face is highly expressive too, and I dont even need words to get a point across.

and I love hangin out with my friends. Yes I need time alone to recharge, but I get lonely pretty easily and want some people time.

OWL

Reactions: niss
167 Posts
Not just ISTJ. I find that schizoid traits are strikingly similar to traits of introversion in general. I really think the symptoms/definitions of the disorder is written as a result of misunderstanding of introverts, or they simply pick up traits that are not consistent with mass society. It is a spectrum and I think us introverts lie somewhere between that spectrum. A disorder is diagnosed if you're at the end of the spectrum (exaggeration). I seriously don't get why solitary activities is one of the criteria - they don't even think WHY we prefer solitary activities (it's because we charge our batteries that way), seriously it just makes me so mad.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Not just ISTJ. I find that schizoid traits are strikingly similar to traits of introversion in general. I really think the symptoms/definitions of the disorder is written as a result of misunderstanding of introverts, or they simply pick up traits that are not consistent with mass society. It is a spectrum and I think us introverts lie somewhere between that spectrum. A disorder is diagnosed if you're at the end of the spectrum (exaggeration). I seriously don't get why solitary activities is one of the criteria - they don't even think WHY we prefer solitary activities (it's because we charge our batteries that way), seriously it just makes me so mad.
Don't think about it; you'll never have enough bullets to set things right.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts