Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out for a drink the other night with my ENTP and ENFP friends (ideal company for an INFJ). The ENTP said that she believed that if she thought a lot about what she really wanted in the future, it kind of ended up happening. She gave an example of when she was younger and used to live in a different town, she kept thinking of and imagining living in the city where we live. Then, she sort of ended up in this city, which is just where she always wanted to be (as if without trying).

I really could not relate to this. I told her that yes, like her, I would imagine what I wanted to do, but then I would start planning, making lists, taking all the necessary actions to achieve what I wanted, step by step. She said, "Oh no. That sounds too stressful". My ENFP friend said her approach was somewhere in between mine and the ENTP's.

So what I wanted to know was: Is this an ENTP thing, or is this just something that my crazy (yet lovable) friend believes in?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'm with her on this one for the most part. I mean I do occasionally make BIG plans, but most of the time I just go with the flow. I use my desired results as a guiding rudder and just let my Ne do it's thing for the most part. Everything works out in the end ... and most the time it works out "my way" in the end.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I was out for a drink the other night with my ENTP and ENFP friends (ideal company for an INFJ). The ENTP said that she believed that if she thought a lot about what she really wanted in the future, it kind of ended up happening. She gave an example of when she was younger and used to live in a different town, she kept thinking of and imagining living in the city where we live. Then, she sort of ended up in this city, which is just where she always wanted to be (as if without trying).

I really could not relate to this. I told her that yes, like her, I would imagine what I wanted to do, but then I would start planning, making lists, taking all the necessary actions to achieve what I wanted, step by step. She said, "Oh no. That sounds too stressful". My ENFP friend said her approach was somewhere in between mine and the ENTP's.

So what I wanted to know was: Is this an ENTP thing, or is this just something that my crazy (yet lovable) friend believes in?
I am VERY much on board with this. In fact, I totally manifested my current situation that way. Granted, I did have to do some leg-work, but all in all, everything just sorta fell into place. In fact, when I can't "see" myself in a future situation, I get worried that it won't ever happen (having an intimate relationship seems to be the most prevalent). Sometimes when I can't picture my future self in a situation, things tend to change such that I never experience that situation. Granted, this isn't ALWAYS the case, but it's been a common theme throughout my life.

I've gotten flack for it, but it just works this way... and I can't change it. I also hold a lot of value in seeing "random" numbers that I don't see often, but hold meaning for me. I always take it as a sign that I'm heading in the right direction. Thanks, Universe!

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
I am VERY much on board with this. In fact, I totally manifested my current situation that way. Granted, I did have to do some leg-work, but all in all, everything just sorta fell into place. In fact, when I can't "see" myself in a future situation, I get worried that it won't ever happen (having an intimate relationship seems to be the most prevalent). Sometimes when I can't picture my future self in a situation, things tend to change such that I never experience that situation. Granted, this isn't ALWAYS the case, but it's been a common theme throughout my life.

I've gotten flack for it, but it just works this way... and I can't change it. I also hold a lot of value in seeing "random" numbers that I don't see often, but hold meaning for me. I always take it as a sign that I'm heading in the right direction. Thanks, Universe!
I second the above quote.

In addition, I'd like to point out that I've noticed when I explain things I tend to just think of the idea and the explanation gets "improvised" out loud in real time. This applies to courses of action for me as well as explanations. (I don't know how much this applies to other xNTP's.)
I figure this second thing might have something to with it, because my goals tend to get reached even when not actively thinking about them (perhaps subconcious? Ne is intuition after all, although tied to action/environment...)

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
ENTPs are just better at taking calculated risks (Ne). And in life there is no reward without risk.
True, but this isn't the same thing, really. It's like, I just see (with my mind's eye, of course) myself somewhere, or with someone, or whatever... and then it ends up happening. I might do a little here and there, but really it's just this magical process where if I believe it I can achieve it!

In addition, I'd like to point out that I've noticed when I explain things I tend to just think of the idea and the explanation gets "improvised" out loud in real time. This applies to courses of action for me as well as explanations. (I don't know how much this applies to other xNTP's.)
I figure this second thing might have something to with it, because my goals tend to get reached even when not actively thinking about them (perhaps subconcious? Ne is intuition after all, although tied to action/environment...)
YES! I do that all the time... and amaze myself. That whole "thinking out loud" trait is legit, son. Well, at least when it comes to explaining something. I can't say I really think out loud unless I'm trying to figure something out, though... lol

Reactions: INFJigsaw

·
Registered
187 Posts
Strange.....that kind of thing happens to me all the time. Its like I keep the end goal in mind (or on some subconscious level) and even though I have no plan to reach it. It just happens. Every job I've had happened this way, its like the opportunity comes to me. Its not just jobs it happens in nearly every area of my life, except in relationships !!! Seems like ENTP's experience this the most.

I was reading about synchronicity and the psychology behind it not to long ago on the Psychology Today website, interesting read.

Redefining Reality (Part Two) : Psychotherapy, Synchronicity, and the Rainmaker | Psychology Today

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Strange.....that kind of thing happens to me all the time. Its like I keep the end goal in mind (or on some subconscious level) and even though I have no plan to reach it. It just happens. Every job I've had happened this way, its like the opportunity comes to me. Its not just jobs it happens in nearly every area of my life, except in relationships !!! Seems like ENTP's experience this the most.

I was reading about synchronicity and the psychology behind it not to long ago on the Psychology Today website, interesting read.

Redefining Reality (Part Two) : Psychotherapy, Synchronicity, and the Rainmaker | Psychology Today
I've looked at the article and it is very interesting and new to me. I've saved it so I can re-read it and really get my head round it. I am going to try to be more open to this kind of thing now.
Thanks! x

Reactions: Ntuitive

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

This is really interesting. It's not something that I have personally experienced but maybe I just need to pay attention to this sort of thing and not dismiss it. The nearest thing to this I can think of is when I have a dream about a place or person that I have never seen before and then the following day or next few days I see that person or place for real.

I wouldn't worry about not seeing yourself in a relationship as I am sure it is because you haven't met the right guy yet - then you might see yourself with him. Although, anyway, Jojo doesn't seem to think this works for relationships. If you lived in my country, I would try to look out for a nice INFJ guy for you! x

This is my first thread, btw, so thanks people for responding!

·
Registered
187 Posts
@INFJigsaw I have a couple of INFJ friends and an ENFJ friend and one thing I noticed about their thought process compared to mine was they dwell on the past A LOT. Especially when things are going wrong or right for that matter. To me this is depressing as you can't go back in time to re live the good moments so what's the point, it just emphasises how bad things have gone since the good moments happened. Or worse still they're dwelling on bad memories.

I generally NEVER dwell on the past, I always think forward with a positive outlook with a rough idea of what I want to happen. It just seems a more logical approach to happiness and why things just tend to fall into place. Detach from the past and attach to the future. Don't get me wrong I still get upset and have set backs but I seem to cope with them better than anyone I know. Learn from mistakes then move on.

Every time one of my xNFJ friends is down or thinks the world is against them and they're having a run of bad luck its because they are dwelling on the past. I only recently realised how different our thought processes were. One thing is for sure thinking forward seems to have a more positive effect than looking back. I've always had this outlook on life. Don't know if this helps but its definitely the major difference between how I think and how a lot of my friends think.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
@INFJigsaw I have a couple of INFJ friends and an ENFJ friend and one thing I noticed about their thought process compared to mine was they dwell on the past A LOT. Especially when things are going wrong or right for that matter. To me this is depressing as you can't go back in time to re live the good moments so what's the point, it just emphasises how bad things have gone since the good moments happened. Or worse still they're dwelling on bad memories.

I generally NEVER dwell on the past, I always think forward with a positive outlook with a rough idea of what I want to happen. It just seems a more logical approach to happiness and why things just tend to fall into place. Detach from the past and attach to the future. Don't get me wrong I still get upset and have set backs but I seem to cope with them better than anyone I know. Learn from mistakes then move on.

Every time one of my xNFJ friends is down or thinks the world is against them and they're having a run of bad luck its because they are dwelling on the past. I only recently realised how different our thought processes were. One thing is for sure thinking forward seems to have a more positive effect than looking back. I've always had this outlook on life. Don't know if this helps but its definitely the major difference between how I think and how a lot of my friends think.
As someone who grew up with an INFJ mother, I can attest to this happening at least with the one confirmed INFJ I know. Additionally, I find that it is usually when I am procrastinating or depressed that I will focus on the past.

@INFJigsaw thanks for your kind words... and great job on your first thread!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I have to say that I am surprised that your xNFJ friends are like this because I am not like this at all - in fact quite the opposite. I am very future focused and sometimes I worry about how unsentimental I am about the past. I think about the future a lot, but the difference between me and my NP friends is that I am very focused on a single goal in the future and I take positive action to make that future a reality whereas my NP friends seem to have lots of dreams but not are not always as driven as me to take the steps to realise them. (I have 4 ENTP friends and one is much more actively pursuing her ideas than the other 3 who are more 'go with the flow'). What I don't do is think of the future and then allow things to sort of fall into place.

To summarise, I am more single minded and active in achieving my very specific goals.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Its strange, if I focus and plan things WILL go wrong however if I just have the end goal in mind with no real plan it generally happens. When I plan it seems to make me less open to possibilities. If I go with the flow I just seem to get there.

My xNFJ friends seem dwell on the past when they are down or want to feel better about the present. My ENFJ friend is very focused on her future and has a more detailed plans than me, she works hard but her general thinking style seems more about analysing the past even though she is focused on a future goal. These are just differences between my friend and I. May not be indicative of xNFs in general. Maybe its down to having a goal and not planning too much so you're open to possibilities while still focused on the end goal and always thinking forward. I've tried to figure it out before, still haven't come to a conclusion on what's going on!!

:) x

Reactions: INFJigsaw

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Manifest...
Reality...
Engage.

·
Registered
446 Posts

I've always told people the miracle stories about how my dreams materialize into reality. Actually, they are my thoughts come true, since what I think goes into what I dream. Maybe subtle consciously, we as humans direct ourselves there, despite the events feeling so spontaneous. Perhaps it's just an ENTP thing, though, and maybe that's why you don't share common ground. ENTPs are supposedly labeled Visionaries, anyway. All I know, it happens to me so often, and in almost ever facet of my life, that I can't help but wonder exactly why, too.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its strange, if I focus and plan things WILL go wrong however if I just have the end goal in mind with no real plan it generally happens. When I plan it seems to make me less open to possibilities. If I go with the flow I just seem to get there.
Wow, this is exactly what my ENTP friend said to me. This just reminds me of the brilliance of Myers Briggs Typology and how it has helped me to understand other people.

Reactions: possiBri

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've always told people the miracle stories about how my dreams materialize into reality. Actually, they are my thoughts come true, since what I think goes into what I dream. Maybe subtle consciously, we as humans direct ourselves there, despite the events feeling so spontaneous. Perhaps it's just an ENTP thing, though, and maybe that's why you don't share common ground. ENTPs are supposedly labeled Visionaries, anyway. All I know, it happens to me so often, and in almost ever facet of my life, that I can't help but wonder exactly why, too.
I wish this happened to me!

1 - 20 of 108 Posts