Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haha :p I posted it here because I know INFP's are deeply understanding..

Think: Combining intuition and logic?

Anyway..I've been thinking..

Does the modern world appear to favor fixed logical thinking over creative thinking? There are times when I expressed views that stem from intuitive knowing and creative imagination, and somehow at some point I feel that certain people don't appear to appreciate creative sources enough without sufficient ''factual basis'' or whatever (however they define order and logic)

To me, I think both logical and creative thinking are important. It is actually very good to combine intuition and logic, most people seem to forget that.

Why should creative thoughts be looked down upon? I don't get it.

1) Surely certain scientific discoveries start with the intuitive curiosity and creative insights of scientists/ inventors.

2) There are some ethics which cannot be defined if we were to rely on only logic and nothing else. Certain scientific experiments need ethics beforehand, and for us to understand the basic principles of certain ethics, we need emotions and intuition.

3) Creative philosophies can actually be a measurement for truth.

Personally, I cannot imagine a life of which reality is only determined by the notion that ''facts'' should overrule feelings. However, I do not think that inner depth perceptions are the only reliable determinants for reality.

Reality can be determined properly from both feelings and facts. It's a matter of individual growth, individual learning, emotional and psychological maturity that I don't really know how to put in words in an online forum.

So, I think a Thinker shouldn't diss a Feeler. And a Feeler shouldn't diss a Thinker. Based on different thinking systems.

People should step out of their self created boxes more often, I'm just say'n

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I don't think creativity is looked down upon by society. Society wouldn't be able to run without innovators and creative thinkers. By the way, logic and creativity are not mutually exclusive. In fact, logic combined with creativity is what drives this world, basically.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I feel, to a degree, that society favors logical thinking over creative thinking. In schools, most extracurricular activities emphasis creative thinking than those core classes that people are supposed to take(math, science, social studies, english).

·
Banned
8 Posts
I don't think creativity is looked down upon by society, and I really hope not, every new idea ( The only ideas that really matter) starts with creativity, and then logic is one method of developing the products of creativity.
It would be pretty silly if it were, however, since even those somewhat "logical" subjects (such as mathematics, or sciences) involve a fair amount of creativity, since creativity can be central to problem solving, likewise more creative subjects such as literature require some degree of logic.
I don't think that one actually can be favoured over the other, creativity and logic are aspects of different things, rather then being two opposites of the same spectrum, feeling and emotions do not correlate with creativity, nor does logic and reason.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Every new idea ( The only ideas that really matter) starts with creativity, and then logic is one method of developing the products of creativity.
Yes! You put it in words perfectly!

Society needs both creativity and logic to function if we want to claim some advancement in the human race.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Haha :p I posted it here because I know INFP's are deeply understanding..

Think: Combining intuition and logic?

Anyway..I've been thinking..

Does the modern world appear to favor fixed logical thinking over creative thinking? There are times when I expressed views that stem from intuitive knowing and creative imagination, and somehow at some point I feel that certain people don't appear to appreciate creative sources enough without sufficient ''factual basis'' or whatever (however they define order and logic)

To me, I think both logical and creative thinking are important. It is actually very good to combine intuition and logic, most people seem to forget that.

Why should creative thoughts be looked down upon? I don't get it.

1) Surely certain scientific discoveries start with the intuitive curiosity and creative insights of scientists/ inventors.

2) There are some ethics which cannot be defined if we were to rely on only logic and nothing else. Certain scientific experiments need ethics beforehand, and for us to understand the basic principles of certain ethics, we need emotions and intuition.

3) Creative philosophies can actually be a measurement for truth.

Personally, I cannot imagine a life of which reality is only determined by the notion that ''facts'' should overrule feelings. However, I do not think that inner depth perceptions are the only reliable determinants for reality.

Reality can be determined properly from both feelings and facts. It's a matter of individual growth, individual learning, emotional and psychological maturity that I don't really know how to put in words in an online forum.

So, I think a Thinker shouldn't diss a Feeler. And a Feeler shouldn't diss a Thinker. Based on different thinking systems.

People should step out of their self created boxes more often, I'm just say'n
I was about to say, "Why don't you link them?" but you beat me to it.

Although I'd say creativity is more a Perceiving function thing (and I mean Pi or Pe, not the P at the end of the type)--not a T/F thing. It sounds as if you've met up with an ESTJ. <:\ <---pity face

Your S/N is responsible for the creativity... the T/F organizes it... so it doesn't make sense to suggest that Feelers are creative thinkers and Thinkers are logical thinkers.

Thinkers can be creative.

Feelers can be logical.

And I frankly don't see how either way of thinking can exist without the other in the first place.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Yes, I would agree that both are extremely important. But I think that in most cases society favors logic over creativity. Especially in the work places. Many jobs do not want you to think for yourself. In fact, if you do think for yourself it may be looked down upon, particularily at the worker level. Sometimes I feel that people who think outside the box or challenge society's nice little beliefs are feared and that society tries to supress them. Corporations hate when people discover the nasty truths about how they do business and will do everything in their power to silence them. And sadly to say, most of us do not think for ourselves anymore. We are just sheep that trust what others says to be true, not listening to the inner voice that says "hmmm, this doesn't seem right. something is wrong with this picture" Personally I know that arguements that come from a more personal level, such as stories or people's own experiences carry more weight for me or draw upon my emotions more than do facts. But our conservative government seems to think that everything should be based on the economic feasibility of things. If it can make money for the economy, great, support it; if not, what value does it have. Sad, very sad. Base everything on economic facts is what it really boils down too with the Canadian Conservative Party. Don't know if I got off track, but good question!

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
A lot of Ts haven't the faintest clue how to organize their thoughts logically. I can say the same for Fs and it has nothing to do with their MBTI preferences. This is a failure of education in my opinion.

I suspect this doesn't hold as true for members of these forums as it does in people in general because this seems to be a pretty well educated crowd here.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
How can expect to function in a world where you only specialize in one form of viewing it?

I think society favors sexual thinking :p
That's because we're supposed to. :D

Reactions: rbgj

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
That's because we're supposed to. :D
That's right!
But it's not society that favors sexual thinking but rather society that introduced other kinds of thinking. :wink:

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
It's not society that favors sexual thinking but rather society that introduced other types of thinking.
We're biologically predisposed to sexual thinking. After food, shelter and reasonable safety to ensure survival, sex is at the top of the list of biological needs. If you live in America, we have an over abundance of the 1st three, which leaves sex. We as animals need to indulge in sexual thinking in order to fuel or natural urges.

We are separate from animals, mostly due to our sentience, however we aren't entirely different to the point where we don't have to respond to our bodies. It's central to human behavior to want to have sex when their bodies call for it, add that with the ambition of marketing and you get sexual promotion in society. We're already doing it, the only difference is we read it, see it and hear it too.

Reactions: rbgj

·
Registered
477 Posts
Of course. You'd think that people would value logic over creativity. Entertainment art is made this way, using logic.
Practicality usually comes before creativity when you are building a house.
Same goes for cars and guns

I'm not saying creativity is still very important and its used the the real world all the time its just that incredibly wide stair placings, while they may be original and cool arnt too common because they arnt very practical and would result in a lot of people ripping their pants

Reactions: niki

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yes, I would agree that both are extremely important. But I think that in most cases society favors logic over creativity. Especially in the work places. Many jobs do not want you to think for yourself. In fact, if you do think for yourself it may be looked down upon, particularily at the worker level. Sometimes I feel that people who think outside the box or challenge society's nice little beliefs are feared and that society tries to supress them. Corporations hate when people discover the nasty truths about how they do business and will do everything in their power to silence them. And sadly to say, most of us do not think for ourselves anymore. We are just sheep that trust what others says to be true, not listening to the inner voice that says "hmmm, this doesn't seem right. something is wrong with this picture" Personally I know that arguements that come from a more personal level, such as stories or people's own experiences carry more weight for me or draw upon my emotions more than do facts. But our conservative government seems to think that everything should be based on the economic feasibility of things. If it can make money for the economy, great, support it; if not, what value does it have. Sad, very sad. Base everything on economic facts is what it really boils down too with the Canadian Conservative Party. Don't know if I got off track, but good question!
I'm sorry... but you're beginning to sound as if you're trying to impersonate an Indigo Child... or maybe just the guy from the video. XD (It took two posts for that thread to be torn to shreds...LOL)

Reactions: lifeisanillusion
1 - 20 of 94 Posts