Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm an INFJ, there's no doubt about it. However, it seems that my decisions are more based on physiological responses than what I really want. When I'm in a situation when I'm left to decide one way to another, in my mind I've already chosen a side but then I get an uncomfortable push on my chest that leaves me emotionally exhausted and it doesn't go away until I do something so everyone is satisfied. For example, the other day I was walking towards school and I saw this couple arguing, I got this sensation in my chest that I needed to do something but in my mind I knew it was natural for people to argue. But the feeling didn't leave my chest until I got out of the situation and forgot about the issue, but if for some reason the event is brought up to my mind again, the same sensation returns to me.

On the other hand, I value logic a lot and I always try to decide to what's fair for everyone. But sometimes these weird sensations take over me which lead me to decide based on what will quench the painful feeling.

What do you people think?

Reactions: GreenCoyote

·
Registered
378 Posts
However, it seems that my decisions are more based on physiological responses than what I really want.
That's true, it's not always about empathy though bc feeling also leads me to make self-gratifying decisions which make me feel better in the short term but may not be very practical or logical in the long term... those escapist, physiological responses sure are addictive though...following your heart is....

·
Registered
258 Posts
I think logic is not using just your brain, or just your heart.
As for me, to call something "logic", I have to use both
aspects; the brain and the feelings.
Logic is not "either or" but "both and"

I don't think I'm very good at that though, making logical choises, in daily life... But as to big choises, I try to use both as much as I can.
That means that I have to use more of my brain, and less of my feelings, because my feelings tend to "squeeze out" my brain (-course, I am an F, so I base most choises on my feelings, not my brain).

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I have divided how I deal with situations into two if it doesn't involve people I don't have to worry about any feelings I can analyze it from different perspectives and find the best logical practical solution or outcome. The other situation is when people are involved and my choices of outcomes or solutions have to be balanced and just for all the ones involved (impossible you say...nearly!) but I think as INFJ we have the ability to be very good mediators and our sense of empathy helps all parties involved to trust us.

The problem rises if for example you are faced in a situation where you have a friend fighting a stranger for example, will your loyalty and affection for your friend get in the way to find the best solution? Here is where feelings get in the way, what if your friend was the wrong party? Yes hard indeed being loyal and wanting to be fair...messy. It happened to be once I tried to be fair and it blew up in my face but in the end I fixed it. :dry:

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
for me, my feelings are more accurate. from what I understand Fe is essentially thoughts, just ones oriented to people and the feelings of others around you.

I usually follow the push if I am smart though, because somewhere inside my head is a person who is pushing, and if they can get me out of my frickin head than I should probably follow.
lol

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
I'm not so sure that strong empathy will necessarily lead you to choose feeling.
Couldn't such strong reactions just as easily prompt someone to suppress their emotions to avoid the uncomfortable experience?

Also, I really need to point out that true "logic" is devoid of emotion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts