Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
for those of you who speak more than one languages- do you find your personality alters ?

☆ not change of personality but certain emotions comes out more

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I don't think my personality changes, but I do express myself differently.
I use different tones of voice for English, it's more monotone in Finnish.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,465 Posts
The only thing I've noticed is that swearing is a little easier in English than my native tongue, but I can't say it has changed my personality. Do you have a reason to ask that?

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing I've noticed is that swearing is a little easier in English than my native tongue, but I can't say it has changed my personality. Do you have a reason to ask that?
( I'm Vietnamese but was born in the U.S.) when speaking in Vietnamese I'm much less animated and humorous ( I'm more serious , pensive and articulate ) if I'm ever angry or frustrated I'll start conversing in English - then when calm I'll retreat back to Vietnamese

Its odd - I'm usually friendly and talkative ( English) but with Vietnamese I become more quiet and pensive. My mood changes

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,465 Posts
( I'm Vietnamese but was born in the U.S.) when speaking in Vietnamese I'm much less animated and humorous ( I'm more serious , pensive and articulate ) if I'm ever angry or frustrated I'll start conversing in English - then when calm I'll retreat back to Vietnamese

Its odd - I'm usually friendly and talkative ( English) but with Vietnamese I become more quiet and pensive. My mood changes
Yea that definitely doesn't happen with me. I wonder if MBTI is related, especially with Fe, my ENTP sister is a lot more animated and humorous when speaking English as well. There are of course differences when speaking foreign languages since different intonation and mannerisms may accompany each language, but personality changes may be related to actual personality. I have noticed that when I was younger and less fluent in English I had this sense that I need to accompany it with a different personality like you describe, but now I feel I have reached a point where the opposite happens - I fit the language in my own personality just fine. I had much fewer opportunities to actually speak English in the past, compared to now so for me it's definitely a matter of 'hands-on' experience.
I think I've read what you are describing somewhere - linguistic articles or something - describing how different languages affect the brain and such.

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea that definitely doesn't happen with me. I wonder if MBTI is related, especially with Fe, my ENTP sister is a lot more animated and humorous when speaking English as well. There are of course differences when speaking foreign languages since different intonation and mannerisms may accompany each language, but personality changes may be related to actual personality. I have noticed that when I was younger and less fluent in English I had this sense that I need to accompany it with a different personality like you describe, but now I feel I have reached a point where the opposite happens - I fit the language in my own personality just fine. I had much fewer opportunities to actually speak English in the past, compared to now so for me it's definitely a matter of 'hands-on' experience.
I think I've read what you are describing somewhere - linguistic articles or something - describing how different languages affect the brain and such.
I'm an fi user , so I don't think it deals much cognitive functions, also English is my primary language- so I highly doubt me being more lively or animated deals much with not knowing a language , I'm always comfortable being myself speaking or conversing - I just notice that certain emotions accompany the language I chose to converse with - especially anger or annoyance- if I ever argue with my mom or get annoyed by my son I'll start speaking English to them ( I usually converse with them in Vietnamese )

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
It would with certainty alter your personality to a minor degree, dependant upon the language. Languages with emphasis on inflection distinction will cause the habit of utilizing the portion of your brain's language processing area associate with inflection more, and the similar part of distinct word recognition less.

Personality is a habit of the utilization of various parts of your brain. Change the habit, change the personality.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'm an fi user , so I don't think it deals much cognitive functions, also English is my primary language- so I highly doubt me being more lively or animated deals much with not knowing a language , I'm always comfortable being myself speaking or conversing - I just notice that certain emotions accompany the language I chose to converse with - especially anger or annoyance- if I ever argue with my mom or get annoyed by my son I'll start speaking English to them ( I usually converse with them in Vietnamese )

The part of the brain associated with language expression, including emotiveness and body language, is Broca's area. The part of the brain associate with language processing, including emotiveness and body language, is Wernicke's area.

An aside: In Socionics, Broca's most closely correlates to Fe, and Wernicke's most closely correlates to Fi.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'm more polite in Japanese and way way more emotive in French, but it's not like my personality changed - only the set of rules for expression.*

Reactions: ai.tran.75

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm more polite in Japanese and way way more emotive in French, but it's not like my personality changed - only the set of rules for expression.*
I meant do your manner changes- or certain emotions accompany it not personality- my bad °

Reactions: ponpiri

·
Registered
93 Posts
An aside: In Socionics, Broca's most closely correlates to Fe, and Wernicke's most closely correlates to Fi.
Could you please elaborate? Do you mean Fe-users show more activation in Broca's area during certain tasks in for example fMRI or how is the correlation characterized?
And to answer the question in the OP: no, I don't think using different languages alters your personality. The personality of a person doesn't change fundamentally as it's something deeply rooted. Of course it develops as we mature or might not develop fully/healthily, if we experience trauma or too little stimulation, but essentially our personality remains the same.
Different languages can alter our expression and behavior though. But this shouldn't be confused with something as fundamental as personality.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Could you please elaborate? Do you mean Fe-users show more activation in Broca's area during certain tasks in for example fMRI or how is the correlation characterized?
And to answer the question in the OP: no, I don't think using different languages alters your personality. The personality of a person doesn't change fundamentally as it's something deeply rooted. Of course it develops as we mature or might not develop fully/healthily, if we experience trauma or too little stimulation, but essentially our personality remains the same.
Different languages can alter our expression and behavior though. But this shouldn't be confused with something as fundamental as personality.
The semantics for the definitions of Fe and Fi in Socionics most strongly correlate to the Brodmann's Areas as I described.

For the remainder of your post: Genetic predispositions to certain personality traits and/or types exist; however, personality is not something that is fundamental nor unchanging. It is habitual behaviors and behaviors of thought. You may remain static in your personality throughout your life, or you may not. If you continue with a different language for a prolonged period of time, that is a change to your habitual behaviors and behaviors of cognition, which means your personality has been altered.

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The part of the brain associated with language expression, including emotiveness and body language, is Broca's area. The part of the brain associate with language processing, including emotiveness and body language, is Wernicke's area.

I think I'm more pensive in Vietnamese because my whole life the only time I use the language was with older relatives or much older neighbors ( older as in 30 years -60 years my senior) . Even now I only use it when I'm conversing with older relatives - I figure perhaps its the manner I've always use hence - now when I converse with my son or acquaintances in Vietnamese I'm more serious, when I joke around ( it'll be in English ) if I'm mad or annoyed - I'll switch to English to express verbally what's bothering me .

I've always correlates extreme emotional expression with the language that you think with ( I think in English 80 percent of the time ) never knew Fe and Fi played a role in it - interesting

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I asked the question wrong- not much with personality but do display more emotions with one language over another

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I think I'm more pensive in Vietnamese because my whole life the only time I use the language was with older relatives or much older neighbors ( older as in 30 years -60 years my senior) . Even now I only use it when I'm conversing with older relatives - I figure perhaps its the manner I've always use hence - now when I converse with my son or acquaintances in Vietnamese I'm more serious, when I joke around ( it'll be in English ) if I'm mad or annoyed - I'll switch to English to express verbally what's bothering me .

I've always correlates extreme emotional expression with the language that you think with ( I think in English 80 percent of the time ) never knew Fe and Fi played a role in it - interesting

Actual emotions are a different part of the brain. Emotional expression is not the same as emotions. A person may have feelings without expressing them.

What you're referring to is that in emotionally stressed states, you default to the language which is most comfortable and easy for you. It's likely that you use English during intimate encounters as well, as that is a different form of emotional stress, albeit a good one.

What I am referencing is long term differences in usage of languages. That is, if you had developed in such a way that you utilized Vietnamese more than English, your personality as a whole would be different than your personality as it is now.

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
for those of you who speak more than one languages- do you find your personality alters ?

☆ not change of personality but certain emotions comes out more

Yes.

When they speak another language, some people simply translate from their mother tongue.

Others switch over and think in that language, and also take on the culture behind the language. Like changing the CD-ROM in your brain. I do this. Also, I mix up words in related languages, like French & Italian.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,465 Posts

I was going to say smething of the like before seeing this post. It may be just your experience with the language and how you've used it that brings out specific behaviors/expressions from you, rather than your personality changing. They are probably still part of your personality, you just likely express them better in whichever language the situation calls for.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I saw this title and I found the subject very interesting.

I speak and write both Mandarin and English and am fairly fluent in both. In my most comfortable state, I use both language interchangeably in my sentences. There are some notions, feelings and ideas that exist in Mandarin but don't translate well in English. Just like how there are some words in Japanese that don't exist in English. Example:

Yugen. “A profound, mysterious sense of the beauty of the universe…and the sad beauty of human suffering.”

So naturally when I wish to access those notions, feelings and ideas - I switch languages.

I don't think my personality changes though. It's just a different side/facet of me that gets expressed. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I saw this title and I found the subject very interesting.

I speak and write both Mandarin and English and am fairly fluent in both. In my most comfortable state, I use both language interchangeably in my sentences. There are some notions, feelings and ideas that exist in Mandarin but don't translate well in English. Just like how there are some words in Japanese that don't exist in English. Example:

Yugen. “A profound, mysterious sense of the beauty of the universe…and the sad beauty of human suffering.”
Yugen sounds like Grace, in the religious usage of the word.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts