Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering.. when 8's are a people radiating of power and stereotypically could take any opponent down, do you feel the urge for it almost constantly? Is it like the dark side that is tempting you more often than not to cross the line?

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I was wondering.. when 8's are a people radiating of power and stereotypically could take any opponent down, do you feel the urge for it almost constantly? Is it like the dark side that is tempting you more often than not to cross the line?
being intrigued by the "dark side" is more likely related to type 7 than 8, ie, a more light, optimistic person who shields themselves from these aspects of their lives, yet is intrigued by them from a distance, the dark side of life/human nature is mysterious and new to the 7, even if it is paradoxically the thing they avoid most in themselves and their day to day lives. I think a more accurate way to describe type 8's relationship with the dark side is "familiar"

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
I care less about light and dark, and more about weak vs. strong. Since power is considered "dark", then I suppose that (among other things), would make me intrigued by the dark side. Of course, I like darkness as a concept... I find it both attractive and freeing.

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
Considering the constant struggle I have to reign in my anger, I would say no, I don't feel the urge. I really don't need the hassle. I concentrate on things that interest me or are important to me. Being powerful isn't about dominating your environment, although if I needed to I could.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
"That's much too vulgar a display of power, Karras" - The Exorcist (1973)

It's all shades of gray for me, no "dark side", no "light side". It's all tools along a continuum that can be used as needed. There is no "line" that I am conscious of. I try to apply the right tool for the job, but I don't really place a value judgement against those tools. I get what you are saying, in principle anyway, but it's not really the way that I view the world.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
It depends if it will generate favorable results. Sometimes its best to let the offenders go so you don't make a fool of yourself. If someone does something that would otherwise take your power its sometimes best to turn the other cheek and not make a scene. Other times, annihilating a threat is the best course of action.

However directing people to underestimate you can be an effective tool for lowering the tide to step higher onto the boat so to speak.

I think socionics actually talks about how people who value their judging function more than their perception function tend to be on the "dark side" while people who value their creative perception function tend to value the "light side." It might have to do with a left brain vs right brain thing.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm not an 8 at all, but I do have a strong 7 fix, so... that's sort of almost related by way of Swordsman of Mana, right? ...Right?!

Personally, I attribute traditionally 'negative' qualities to light and 'positive' ones to darkness. I mean, seriously, when's the last time the night sky was cruel and oppressive toward you? Never! But that sun, man... It'll blind you, it'll burn you, and it may even kill you.

Also! In eastern thought, yin is dark and withdrawn, while yang is light and aggressive. Darkness isn't really capable of 'anger' or 'hate'... That's all light's territory.

...I'm pretty off-subject, though, huh? Haha. I still wanted to speak my mind!

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I'm not an 8 at all, but I do have a strong 7 fix, so... that's sort of almost related by way of Swordsman of Mana, right? ...Right?!
Personally, I attribute traditionally 'negative' qualities to light and 'positive' ones to darkness. I mean, seriously, when's the last time the night sky was cruel and oppressive toward you? Never! But that sun, man... It'll blind you, it'll burn you, and it may even kill you.

Also! In eastern thought, yin is dark and withdrawn, while yang is light and aggressive. Darkness isn't really capable of 'anger' or 'hate'... That's all light's territory.

...I'm pretty off-subject, though, huh? Haha. I still wanted to speak my mind!
lol you have a very good point
"light" is loud, hyper, blinding and imposing. darkness leaves you the hell alone. darkness places no expectation on you, so you are free to sit in peace, contemplating whatever your heart desires without the outside world disturbing you (I'm not speaking for 8s or even 7s here, this is just me)

·
Registered
891 Posts
There is nothing like dark or light. There is only what I want and what I think is acceptable. My nickname is playing on this whole concept of good and bad heh.

As for darkness, I always liked it :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
It totally depends on where I am in the unhealthy-healthy spectrum. When I drop down into unhealthy states, I find myself engaging others when I perceive they've crossed me like a stereotypical cop would eat stereotypical donuts (read constantly). On the other hand, I would imagine that a fully integrated 8 would be able to use those same talents for good on a grand scale, and that she would feel the same urge to use her talents for her intended purpose. I also don't think of it as the dark side. Even if I went out to murder someone to exact vengeance, I don't think I'd think of it as the dark side. That would always exist beyond whatever I chose to do.

Reactions: Le9acyMuse

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
No. I think Anakin covered that ground for me.

Reactions: Swordsman of Mana

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Meh, it made him cooler at least.
Sure, if fleshless, quadruple amputees with a penchant for whining and self-pity are the new standard of "cool."

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Sure, if fleshless, quadruple amputees with a penchant for whining and self-pity are the new standard of "cool."
I was referring to what happened after. This:

can only be called an improvement (as far as characterization is concerned; if he didn't need the suit, he would have been more awesome in-story).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts