Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if there are certain Personality Types that have a much harder time accepting responsibility for the results of their actions.

I have known some people who almost always put blame on others.

I wonder if this can be related to Type or if it has some other psychological explanation.

Two people I know of who almost always refuse to accept responsibility for something that went wrong happen to be ESFP's. (sorry in advance to anyone I might offend here. I'm just trying to understand something)

Don't get me wrong. Both of these people are incredibly talented, very popular and well loved. Yet, I can't get them to improve certain things because they won't admit anything is wrong.

I can theorize that because they are not accustomed to logical, objective analysis like a T might be, they don't naturally analyze a problem to find themselves and their actions as the root cause.

Has anybody seen anything to substantiate this?

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
The several people I have known to be bad with responsibility all happen to all be ExTPs. One of them is very strong in his T. He has very strong ego and self-image and often shifts blame on other people. It happens to him automatically (imho he is suffering from passive-aggressive personality disorder) so that he is not even aware of it.

T-types seems to be more prone to shift blame to others as they are so confident in themselves that they can be blind to own shortcomings. P-types seem to want randomness as such may have trouble following schedules, being punctual, keeping organized, doing chores, etc. Combination of the two can lead to what you are describing. Also I think having Ti or Fi as primary or auxiliary function can lead to people acting out in ways that can be perceived as selfish. This is introverted feeling and introverted logic that come from the inside of the person after all (i.e. is subjective).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh man, I've known people of all sorts of types that shift blame. An INTJ I knew refused to accept responsibility for absolutely anything. Anything that went wrong was everybody else's fault.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I think it's a matter of maturity. Or lack thereof. And sometimes self righteousness.... rather than type.

Reactions: RyRyMini

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
When you start getting into possible personality disorders and neurosis, it's no longer a matter of type. While Jung touched on how a type can "go bad", MBTI focused on the "normal types", meaning the system was not created to be used to type unhealthy people, as that can throw a wrench into how they test and how they come across.

There has been discussion over whether there is any correlation between certain emotional/mental disorders and MBTI types, but to my knowledge, no legitimate study has been done.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it sounds as if the inability to accept responsibility for one's own actions is not a Type issue but more of a disorder or maturity issue.

As I thought more about it, I wondered if it might be something that Sensors were more susceptible to, because they focus more in the present and perhaps they don't see the connection between their past actions and current results. Especially SP's who are always focused on the next new experience.

As an INTJ I seem to notice the cause and effect fairly quickly, even when the cause may have occurred some time in the past.

But I'm willing to accept that it's not so much a Type thing as it is either disorder related or development related.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I should be a Te user, yes? But, i have a funny logarithmic reaction to blame, let's try to set this in? XD

- I don't take well accusation (even if justified!) for little errors, when things start to be a little stressful. Yes, i can accept it if i stop to think on for a split second, but my very first reaction is 'no, I don't do stupid errors like these'.
-Then, with stress increasing, and/or deadlines approaching, or 'true' errors showing I can admit them without any problem: is something as 'I have to fit this and not waste my energies on rejection'. Withpout thinking.
-If a simple stressful situation becomes a bad mess or a tragedy, then i take all the blame, for MY errors or other's. This, also, only as a first reaction.

If the errors have not practical (bad) consequences, out of making me seem an idiot, i can admit them ad forget them in the same istant: this is the 'zero' of the fault axis...

Um, no, perhaps is more of a gaussian-shaped pattern of fault/maturity, with a middle value (after the split second of thought XD) little below the top?

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
T-types seems to be more prone to shift blame to others as they are so confident in themselves that they can be blind to own shortcomings..
My experience with some F-types is they won't see themselves to blame for anything and they see any attempt by a T-type to explain their actions as 'blame shifting'

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My experience with some F-types is they won't see themselves to blame for anything and they see any attempt by a T-type to explain their actions as 'blame shifting'
That's what I've been seeing, but I don't have any scientific data to support it.

I wonder if there is anything in the books on myers Briggs?

However, i'm thinking the psychologists would probably say it's not a type issue but more a maturity / mental health issue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's what I've been seeing, but I don't have any scientific data to support it.

However, i'm thinking the psychologists would probably say it's not a type issue but more a maturity / mental health issue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

1 - 11 of 11 Posts