Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup,

So I found out today after retaking the test (twice!) that I'm actually a 5w4.

And so I set off on an information binge and I came across this little discussion:

The Enneagram Institute Discussion Board - Type Five does not exist

Basically some of the people were saying that Type 5 is so rare that it should just be considered a "phase", and not a real type.

What say you?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I've seen that thread before and I completely disagree. I think a lot of people of various types mis-type at some point in their Enneagram discoveries. So I don't doubt there's been many people who thought they were 5's and realized later they were not. 4's and 5's are known for being more rare so it's not surprising they're it's harder to find legit 5's in real life. All Enneagram authors consider 5 to be a "real" type and it's obvious there are quite a few legit 5's here too. And just like any type, there's a big variation as to what we're all like as indivduals, but I think at our core we share in the same basic fears, motivations, passions, etc.

There is no other Enneagram type that I would fit into if I wasn't a 5.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I get thoroughly annoyed by the "nobody is a 4, 5, or 8" garbage that gets spread around. Of course there are 4s, 5s, and 8s. There had to be a large enough population to pull data and build a framework for the archetype, so it's outrageous to presume that they are "so rare, nobody can be one."

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,255 Posts
Many IxTx's mistype as Fives. I agree that they are really rare and most people misunderstand the type. That being said, I know at least one Five that exists and doesn't fit any other type.

·
Registered
NiTe 549
5,321 Posts
What say you?
I liked the first response under that post: "The Enneagram does not exist."

The entire system is an immaterial construct that is only as true as what people find in themselves. The point is more to figure out what your deepest motivations are, than to plug yourself into a number.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I get thoroughly annoyed by the "nobody is a 4, 5, or 8" garbage that gets spread around. Of course there are 4s, 5s, and 8s. There had to be a large enough population to pull data and build a framework for the archetype, so it's outrageous to presume that they are "so rare, nobody can be one."
Yeah, that crap comes out of a private enneagram forum thats not classic enneagram mainly. This forum didn't have that issue until people came over spreading their crazy. It has a weird cult feel to it, and the guy who runs the place has really weird biased views on enneagram. In my own experiences, the types aren't distributed the way they claim (9, 3, 6, most common and 4, 5, 8 uncommon). I really just see a mixture in the population.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I liked the first response under that post: "The Enneagram does not exist."

The entire system is an immaterial construct that is only as true as what people find in themselves. The point is more to figure out what your deepest motivations are, than to plug yourself into a number.
I agree with this. Lots of people seem really concerned with trying to make themselves "fit" into a specific type, but no type description is ever going to encompass all parts of your personality. From what I understand, the purpose of the Enneagram is for self-growth. I think many people forget that and want to find a box they can categorize themselves into.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Just over half of the INTJs (who informed Enneagram type) are type 5 according to statistics here on Perc as well as according to a poll. The poll showed that over half of the INTJs type 5 had wing 6 = 5w6.
I remember that it surprised me the first time I noticed several iNtuitive Feelers among the type 5 but after thinking about it, there shouldn't be a reason why not. After all, it's about analyzing from a distance.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know I'm weirdo stop exclamating it....

If someone has some great insight about me that's fine but I seem to fit. Of course I borrow from other sources but in the core I'll always feel this.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I get thoroughly annoyed by the "nobody is a 4, 5, or 8" garbage that gets spread around.
If those aren't real types, then this whole Enneagram thing is going to be super awkward for me.

For a system designed to apply universally to all humans, this makes Five an oddly exclusive label. The number of people that the descriptions of Five can truly apply to is too narrow and limited to justify its inclusion as one of the basic nine types of people. Compare that to type Nine, which has traits universal enough to apply to almost everyone, and type Five's specialized niche just looks absurd.
So they're saying that one label should fit all humans? That defeats the purpose of a label.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
it's okay to throw ideas around and share opinions; but one should research, test, and verify them before declaring them as indisputable fact. collections of others who agree with an opinion does not constitute proof. the linked enneagram institute thread opens by simply declaring opinion as fact, without citing any research or proof, which is hardly the way to impress or persuade any thinking person... especially a type 5.

logically speaking, rarity is not proof of lack of existence. do INFJs not exist because we are supposedly rare? do people of genius-level intelligence like Einstein not exist because they are rare? do world-record breakers not exist because they are rare? do animals who are an endangered species not exist because they are rare? do unusual tropical diseases not exist because they are rare?

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Weighing in as a 7, I think it's kind of absurd to bring up the possibility of negating what's been established by observation and experience. Secondly, if one were to eliminate 5s, I'd lose my point of integration--does anyone honestly intend to propose that I stay at average-to-unhealthy levels for life? Aha ha ha! Fives, you're not going anywhere.

I'm not sure whether the "Type 5 does not exist" thread is actually intended as a true proposal, btw, or whether it is intended to be tongue-in-cheek. I feel that way about most things on that particular message board.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Just over half of the INTJs (who informed Enneagram type) are type 5 according to statistics here on Perc as well as according to a poll. The poll showed that over half of the INTJs type 5 had wing 6 = 5w6.
I remember that it surprised me the first time I noticed several iNtuitive Feelers among the type 5 but after thinking about it, there shouldn't be a reason why not. After all, it's about analyzing from a distance.
Where did you read this? I guess we should have a poll. I think I am alone here as an INTJ 5w6. I never thought that half of the INTJs are 5w6.

·
Registered
620 Posts
My best friend is an INTP 5w4.
I'm an INFP 4w5.

I think it would disrupt the entire enneagram system. The rare types would try to find other numbers that didn't fit them.. See? You can foretell the rest.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts