Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, folks! I am a tad confused!!?

I am INFP but most people think I am an ISTJ, or I come across in that manner . This is when I was on a reddit forum and sharing some of my personal vlogs on youtube and my belief system and worldview . I am questioning whether I might be an ISTJ rather than an INFP, even though I took the Meyers Briggs several times and scored INFP all the way..

But a few things: I am very conservative politically! I am somewhat traditional, but not necessarily not open to new ideas. I just believe that I find more aesthetics in things from the past and more romantic art, music, poetry ,etc. I don't care for modern art. Another thing that puts me at odds with being an INFP, is that I believe in truth. I search for truth daily, and also I strive to be authentic. I want to be as authentic as possible. I ask God in Heaven to show me my most authentic self. I feel at conflict with myself because I believe I wear a "mask". I have a slightly different persona, since I am also a musician, and I have a stage persona and a musical repertoire, etc.

My work life conflicts with ISTJ , however, in that I am not the most dependable person. I tend to have my head in the clouds. I am seeking my destiny, but I believe God has a calling for me, I just don 't know yet, perhaps in music ministry. Being a high functioning autistic, I have trouble in socialization with most people. Unless I am on stage, then I can be myself! I like doing creative jobs such as being the cow mascot at Chick Fil A.

i like traditional marriage, marriage with a woman who is very attractive , much like Lori Loughlin on "Full House".
I believe marriage is between 1 man and 1 woman! I am a Christian. I do believe in "live and let live", unless someone is trying to encroach on my inner world, and then I feel very defensive. Such as when my church decided to become liberal/progressive. I have a romantic view on life. I like old movies where the man is a man and a woman is a woman.

Could I be an ISTJ with split personality or something? I don't know how this works. In the 4 temperament test I am a Melancholy/Choleric. What do Y'all think?

·
Registered
789 Posts
I don't think any of the above implies you're not INFP but it's interesting you mention being high functioning autistic as I've seen people correlate many ISTJ type traits with autism - things like liking routine and not being touchy-feely for example.

I type my sister as INFP and as children (when we knew all the same people) people saw us as being very similar in personality. My mum always finds it funny because in reality, while we come across similarly on the surface (same upbringing, similar attitudes/values etc. because of that, both clearly introverted and relatively quiet), we're complete opposites in reality.

Ultimately, your type is your best fit. If you test clearly as INFP and you feel the description fits, it's probably correct. It doesn't mean you can't relate to some bits of other types, but they may not be as close. If you still feel unsure, have a look at some of the other types as well (say ISFJ or INTP for starters) and see if they fit even better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think any of the above implies you're not INFP but it's interesting you mention being high functioning autistic as I've seen people correlate many ISTJ type traits with autism - things like liking routine and not being touchy-feely for example.

I type my sister as INFP and as children (when we knew all the same people) people saw us as being very similar in personality. My mum always finds it funny because in reality, while we come across similarly on the surface (same upbringing, similar attitudes/values etc. because of that, both clearly introverted and relatively quiet), we're complete opposites in reality.

Ultimately, your type is your best fit. If you test clearly as INFP and you feel the description fits, it's probably correct. It doesn't mean you can't relate to some bits of other types, but they may not be as close. If you still feel unsure, have a look at some of the other types as well (say ISFJ or INTP for starters) and see if they fit even better.
Yes that makes sense . Being on the spectrum I do prefer a certain order to my life and my inner world , to the point where some may see it as rigid. That conflicts with the free loving INFP, but the personality in general does fit me more than ISTJ. Perhaps that is why I come across to others as an ISTJ . I have some of that. I read that our personality doesn't change, only our character. But at heart, I know I fit INFP definitely more than ISTJ. I really admire the ISTJ traits in terms of their being more dependable people and able to not let emotions cloud their thinking.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
@RvaBread22
I am INFP but most people think I am an ISTJ, or I come across in that manner . This is when I was on a reddit forum and sharing some of my personal vlogs on youtube and my belief system and worldview . I am questioning whether I might be an ISTJ rather than an INFP, even though I took the Meyers Briggs several times and scored INFP all the way..
I'm not sure if how you "come across" to people on the internet, especially redddit, is enough to question tests that come back consistently. Perhaps being so willing to question consistent tests due to some people thinking differently makes you more INFP, though :wink:

But a few things: I am very conservative politically! I am somewhat traditional, but not necessarily not open to new ideas. I just believe that I find more aesthetics in things from the past and more romantic art, music, poetry ,etc. I don't care for modern art. Another thing that puts me at odds with being an INFP, is that I believe in truth. I search for truth daily, and also I strive to be authentic. I want to be as authentic as possible. I ask God in Heaven to show me my most authentic self. I feel at conflict with myself because I believe I wear a "mask". I have a slightly different persona, since I am also a musician, and I have a stage persona and a musical repertoire, etc.
Things from the past are never Si specific; many INFJs love classical music made decades ago but they don't magically turn into Si Doms! Your striving for authentic and truth in yourself screams Fi/Te.

My work life conflicts with ISTJ , however, in that I am not the most dependable person. I tend to have my head in the clouds. I am seeking my destiny, but I believe God has a calling for me, I just don 't know yet, perhaps in music ministry. Being a high functioning autistic, I have trouble in socialization with most people. Unless I am on stage, then I can be myself! I like doing creative jobs such as being the cow mascot at Chick Fil A.

i like traditional marriage, marriage with a woman who is very attractive , much like Lori Loughlin on "Full House".
I believe marriage is between 1 man and 1 woman! I am a Christian. I do believe in "live and let live", unless someone is trying to encroach on my inner world, and then I feel very defensive. Such as when my church decided to become liberal/progressive. I have a romantic view on life. I like old movies where the man is a man and a woman is a woman.
More Fi/Te with higher Fi quite evident. You know exactly what you like, you want to be yourself and can get offended if people get too close to disrupting that. Its like my Fi, but on overdrive. ;)

Could I be an ISTJ with split personality or something? I don't know how this works. In the 4 temperament test I am a Melancholy/Choleric. What do Y'all think?
Perhaps you're an INFP with a mature sense of respect towards the past and believe that some things are the way they are based upon years of experience.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I'm INFP and my Wife is ISTJ, and we have an autistic son (high functioning), so I can relate to all of your variables. You sound like an A type (assertive) INFP, rather than the T type (turbulent). These are sub-types. I'm an A type and don't relate well to most of the stereotypes of INFP's either, yet the basis for them is still in me. There are tests online to determine your sub-type.

One trait of ASD that is apparent in ISTJ is rigid, decisive, black and white thinking. It sounds bad, it isn't. That trait alone would make you "seem" ISTJ upon reflection. There are several others that you have described. I think you are probably indeed an INFP based on some of the other things you mention, but with a more rigid decisive thinking style which is due to the ASD.

My wife's parents think she is on the spectrum because she was so rigid in her thinking and values, and so different from her parents. It was just personality conflict but they see our son and his ASD and saw some parallels. Some of the outward observations are similar, but the thinking process behind them is indeed different.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,560 Posts
Seems like NFP and STJ confusion is pretty common, huh? I deal with this confusion too. It can be hard to figure out exactly where you fall on the cognitive function puzzle since they both share the same functions and there is so much middle ground. So therefore, I guess it's most logical to look at the extremes. Meaning the dominant and inferior function. Although it is said that it can be hard to identify your dominant function because you are always using it so it becomes less of a conscious awareness. So next step would then be to look at your inferior function. Is it Ne or Te?

Inferior Extroverted Thinking:
As an inferior function, Te originally manifests as the inability to set one’s external desires or plans into motion.

As Te matures, the user finds themselves steadily more able to source the resources they require to make their dreams a reality. They also find themselves developing the ability to express their thoughts to others in a straightforward, logical manner.

The inferior-Te monologue (prior to maturation): “I have many goals I want to accomplish but often have trouble tangibly setting them into motion. I fear being perceived as incompetent by others.”
Inferior Extroverted Intuition:

Inferior Ne originally manifests as a reluctance to try new ways of doing things, occasionally giving way to anxiety over the unknown.

As Ne matures, its user will become more comfortable dwelling in uncertainties and entertaining new possibilities.

The inferior-Ne monologue (prior to maturation): “It is best to stick to the most reliable methods of getting things done. There is no sense getting lost in a sea of unpredictable possibilities.”
Source: https://thoughtcatalog.com/heidi-pr...based-on-its-position-in-your-stacking/#infte

·
Registered
9w8, MBTI unknown
2 Posts
Not ISTJ.
What makes you so sure? I relate strongly to the Si descriptions and yet I'm daydreamy and rarely focus; I would also describe myself as "having my head in the clouds". They may or may not be an ISTJ, but just having someone disqualified for describing themselves like that is absolute bullshit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts