Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is supposed to be "Hell" for ISFPs.

ISFP*– You have to listen to rude people criticizing your personal choices, your appearance and your art form all day long. Nobody cares that they’re hurting your feelings.

From here: The Definition Of Hell For Each Myers-Briggs Personality Type | Thought Catalog

But does it sound worse than the INFP one?

INFP*– Your deepest thoughts and feelings are exposed to a large audience and everyone thinks that you’re pathetic and unoriginal.

Or at least the first part?

Personally, I fear people criticizing my capabilities or core competencies more than the actual output itself.

For instance, if someone said that my work was ugly, or dull, or boring, I'd just consider the source and ignore it. On the other hand, they said that I don't know how to pick fonts, or understand color, or that I'd be better just becoming a beach bum because I don't know what I'm doing, that would cut more deeply, as it attacks my core competencies. Also, though, strangers and people whose opinions I don't generally value... Well, it doesn't matter to me what they say. If somebody whose opinion I value or who I care about were to say that, on the other hand... Now that would hurt.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
All Hell's are not created equally, I see. :p

For instance, the ESFP one is much worse - "You are stuck in a room by yourself for the rest of eternity."
You just sit there and sit there.

Or the ESTP one - "You are completely paralyzed, lacking even the ability to speak."
I'd rather be dead, honestly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It seemed off a little to me too. I joked to my husband that apparently my hell is little old ladies. ;) Constant criticism in and of itself can be uncomfortable and tedious, yes, but hellish? I think what rubs me wrong is the way the isfp "hell" is phrased. It's not so much the criticism itself that gets me down, or the not caring about my particular feelings, it's the crossing of my Fi values (one of which is consideration for others' feelings). So yeah, I can shrug or laugh off criticism from people so long as they are on this side of my values or in the gray area, but if they cross over into gleeful, repeated, intentional violation of my (unspoken) Fi values, then yes constant exposure to them does give me a sense of despair.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I would hate constant criticism... that does sound worse to me than the INFP one. I don't really have a filter for not caring about people's opinions I don't know - it hurts less if I don't know them, but it still hurts! But the ISFJ, INFJ and ESTP ones all sound worse. Especially the INFJ one.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting replies--all over the spectrum. Here's a followup question. What if the criticism was directed at someone else, like a child for instance. Would that be worse for you?

I ask, because reading through all the replies, I got this weird feeling that I would be more upset watching one of you getting criticized, and that made me remember that the only people I've ever truly cut out of my life were people who did that to other people (not myself). I know one guy who treated a coworker worse than he treated his own dog (which I don't think he treated very well either). It just sickened me, and ... bang ... that was it.

So, would the description be stronger if it were some weaker person getting the criticism instead of yourself? I am not 100% sure for myself, hence the question...

·
Registered
46 Posts
My hell would be after having spent a lot of time building up potential to work on a bunch of really interesting and heartfelt projects, having emotionally intense people continually prevent me from seeing any progress on them, even as I spend a lot of effort motivating myself.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I'm afraid many INFPs find themselves to be perceived as pathetic and unoriginal just like many ISFPs are looked down upon for how they've chosen to live and what they value. Evidently Hell isn't too far away.

If that's what ISFP hell is, than I think I've been trapped there before. :dry:

But then I found God, and my life is much better now.

Reactions: Fire Away

·
Registered
611 Posts
Interesting replies--all over the spectrum. Here's a followup question. What if the criticism was directed at someone else, like a child for instance. Would that be worse for you?

I ask, because reading through all the replies, I got this weird feeling that I would be more upset watching one of you getting criticized, and that made me remember that the only people I've ever truly cut out of my life were people who did that to other people (not myself). I know one guy who treated a coworker worse than he treated his own dog (which I don't think he treated very well either). It just sickened me, and ... bang ... that was it.

So, would the description be stronger if it were some weaker person getting the criticism instead of yourself? I am not 100% sure for myself, hence the question...
I feel like maybe I would feel more able to step up and defend that person than if it was me. Don't know if my actual feelings would be different but I think I more readily fight for others than myself. (unsure though... I might know what I believe but I don't necessarily understand who I am or how I behave! ;) )

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I feel like maybe I would feel more able to step up and defend that person than if it was me. Don't know if my actual feelings would be different but I think I more readily fight for others than myself. (unsure though... I might know what I believe but I don't necessarily understand who I am or how I behave! ;) )
Oh, good point about standing up for the other--so, what if you were somehow prevented from being able to come to their aid?

·
Registered
611 Posts
yeah i would hate that a lot. although it would be worse having to be complicit in it somehow (that's what i hate about the infj one)

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My hell would probably be working in an underpaid, non-respected, soul-sucking job while being surrounded by TJs who are pointing at me and telling me that I deserve this shitty life because I'm stupid/lazy/unvaluable.
Ouch, this one hurts... and I don't even want to think about it... :-0

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
My hell would probably be working in an underpaid, non-respected, soul-sucking job while being surrounded by TJs who are pointing at me and telling me that I deserve this shitty life because I'm stupid/lazy/unvaluable.
granted my current job isn't as underpaid as my past ones. the rest of this kind of sums up my life, but instead of TJs it's my voices in my head.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
This is supposed to be "Hell" for ISFPs.

ISFP*– You have to listen to rude people criticizing your personal choices, your appearance and your art form all day long. Nobody cares that they’re hurting your feelings.
replace rude people with best friend. That is part of my life

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I put a lot of time into my artwork and have a difficult time showing people my work. I don't like drawing the attention toward myself, but at the same time I would like for people to see one of the few things I think I do well. I just don't want to be showy.

When I do show people, I worry about people not liking it, which can make me feel like I'm not good enough. This has been a constant battle in life.

It actually extends into more areas in life than I originally thought, but I keep by feelings bottled up and suffer in silence.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.