Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was interested to see if other INTPs would know if my crush was actually INTP, since it was suggested to me that he was. I'm sorry for the long post!

I know he's Introverted for sure since he only pretty much easily talks to extroverts because they keep the conversation going, and enjoys their company i.e. laughs a lot, asks a lot of questions, and is lighthearted. He doesn't mind that one of the said extroverts talks about himself a lot. Otherwise he keeps to himself, or texts his friends. But he's very awkward and shy when he's around a large group of people.

He is a literal genius in our upper level college science class. Like he finishes an hour long exams in 10 minutes or sooner, and he understands things instantly in class. If he isn't sure about something he has no problem asking. He even likes to see what knowledge other major students can share. He doesn't act like (or perhaps even thinks) he's smarter than anyone else in class either, like he can easily explain a concept to someone who doesn't understand in a way you would expect a teacher or tutor would. He was speaking to his friend who mentioned how his mom must be proud of his amazing grades, and he said his mother passed away... He teaches Karate too, all the while being a full time student taking hard classes.

He's such a nice person, like always making sure to say hi and bye to the professor, holding doors for the class sometimes, he's extremely, extremely polite, doesn't get offended when people criticize him since he just laughs along with them, but he never remotely acts in a way that could be considered mean to anyone. He seems very open minded, considerate, and understanding.

He's the bare basics dresser. He wears straight (not skinny) jeans that are a bit too short for him (as if he's worn the same jeans for years), a shirt, and and basic (no brand name) running shoes.

As for things he's done that perhaps says he likes me:

One time I caught him secretly smiling at me as I struggled to open the lab combo lock (which I previously had trouble with as well), which confused me but I asked him to help but he didn't know how to do it either, so I got his friend to help me instead, but he quickly tried to divert my attention away from his friend who was helping me by asking me what lab I was doing, I say divert because he look sad when his friend showed up and he already knew which lab I was doing since he was sitting right next to me. I've noticed him staring at me when he thinks I'm not paying attention, especially when there aren't that many people around. And he even tries to read my texts lol I even caught him once and he just continued to try to read shamelessly for another 10 seconds because he was so focused lmao. He doesn't talk to me much,and when the extrovert of our table is absent his body language suddenly seems extremely unsure of himself, but he has made a pun when talking to me when he was helping me and I managed to laugh, but usually I shut off around him and end up being curt. The girl who sits on the other side of me was super excited about her birthday, so I gave her a birthday card in an envelope after class, but I think MAYBE he thought I was going to give it to him, because even though he tends leaves immediately after class he lingered next to me for a minute looking at the card until she got back to the table and I gave the card to her. I've accidentally bumped my arm into him twice and said sorry, one time he stuttered a sorry back (even though it was solely my fault) and the other time it seemed like he wanted to say "It's okay" but only said "It's..." as if he couldn't say the rest.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Well, i dont know if i am the one who should answer ( im INXP, i cant really decide between INTP and INFP ) but i will.

it seems he does feel something towards you, and as for the information you gave about him: i doubt that every INTP here will relate to this and it's hard to tell if he is INTP or something else.. being a "genius" or something like that doesn't mean he is an INTP,so its hard to say.

talk with him, ask him, it seems like he got the same feelings towards you.

this is all i got to say about this, im not really an expert or something, but i really doubt that you can type him as INTP that easily.

Reactions: evelynn

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, i dont know if i am the one who should answer ( im INXP, i cant really decide between INTP and INFP ) but i will.

it seems he does feel something towards you, and as for the information you gave about him: i doubt that every INTP here will relate to this and it's hard to tell if he is INTP or something else.. being a "genius" or something like that doesn't mean he is an INTP,so its hard to say.

talk with him, ask him, it seems like he got the same feelings towards you.

this is all i got to say about this, im not really an expert or something, but i really doubt that you can type him as INTP that easily.
Thank you for your input! I completely shut off around him, and in response, I think he shuts off around me since I've been unreceptive mostly when he has talked to me once in a blue moon. He's become extremely careful to not be a hindrance to me, but stares at me much more than before... but I'm not sure if that's because he's just such a curious person in general. I've been debating confessing that I admire him through a letter if I find out he won't be in the same class next semester. But I'm not sure how well a potential INTP would take it. And I've never liked anyone enough to consider dating them or even confessing to them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OH! I realized that when he seemed jealous was immediately after (and in the same class period) when I was talking extremely excitedly about how interesting and cool the outcome of the lab was. And he's a chemistry major, so maybe perhaps my unfiltered fascination about the chem lab was what interested him in me. Not sure if that means he's INTP though.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
You should try and go more in depth when describing his personality. All anyone could get from this, is that he's an introvert.

Your description mainly described simple tendencies that could apply to multiple types, and was kind of vague.

Also, being an INTP does not automatically equal a genius. Mentioning that you think he's a genius doesn't tell us much about his personality. The INTP=genius is nothing more then a stereotype, that also applies to INTJ's.

Also, I apologize if that came off as "rude".

Reactions: evelynn

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You should try and go more in depth when describing his personality. All anyone could get from this, is that he's an introvert.

Your description mainly described simple tendencies that could apply to multiple types, and was kind of vague.

Also, being an INTP does not automatically equal a genius. Mentioning that you think he's a genius doesn't tell us much about his personality. The INTP=genius is nothing more then a stereotype, that also applies to INTJ's.

Also, I apologize if that came off as "rude".
No worries, I'm glad at least you're not jumping to conclusions. Ironically, I thought I wrote waaay too much about him! idk if you read my latest comments updating what he's like lately, but besides that, that's all I can say about him... well besides how he said all he does over the weekends is study, how he's really silly around his very close friends in class, and how he likes anime lol, which doesn't say much probably.

I asked several other people on the mbti forums here and they almost unanimously said INTP, which is why I came to ask you INTPs :) tbh I never assumed INTP meant genius, but was just an observation of mine that I mistakenly thought might be relevant.

Reactions: Cal

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
No worries, I'm glad at least you're not jumping to conclusions. Ironically, I thought I wrote waaay too much about him! idk if you read my latest comments updating what he's like lately, but besides that, that's all I can say about him... well besides how he said all he does over the weekends is study, how he's really silly around his very close friends in class, and how he likes anime lol, which doesn't say much probably.

I asked several other people on the mbti forums here and they almost unanimously said INTP, which is why I came to ask you INTPs :) tbh I never assumed INTP meant genius, but was just an observation of mine that I mistakenly thought might be relevant.
Have you ever tired getting him to do the MBTI test, or a cognitive functions test?

That could be helpful.

·
The spirit of the spirits
11,045 Posts
I have an instant urge to say no, just because "INTP" "behaviour" "cognition" don't add up well. Why? Because cognition isn't a behaviour, therefore shouldn't indicate type.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you ever tired getting him to do the MBTI test, or a cognitive functions test?

That could be helpful.
I can't even bring myself to speak a sentence to him each class, and when I have, I had to mentally prepare myself a few days before hand, and that's just for talking about class related stuff.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
I can't even bring myself to speak a sentence to him each class, and when I have, I had to mentally prepare myself a few days before hand, and that's just for talking about class related stuff.
Oh, well then nobody can't really say for sure what type he is, since non of us even know him.

I would say that the best way is to try and convince him to do the test itself. Maybe you could try and catch him after or before class to recommend it?

I have no idea! I happen to lack basic social skills.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, well then nobody can't really say for sure what type he is, since non of us even know him.

I would say that the best way is to try and convince him to do the test itself. Maybe you could try and catch him after or before class to recommend it?

I have no idea! I happen to lack basic social skills.
I actually mentioned mbti to someone in the same class and said I was really curious to see what type they were, and told them to let me know if they ever took it, but they never got back to me. I think I might have slightly scared them off being interested in what personality they were after a few brief conversations, which were way longer than the conversations I've had with my crush. Or maybe said person didn't really care too much about this type of stuff.

But I love how I'm like sidestepping the idea of asking his mbti to not come on too strong, while I am seriously considering writing a letter saying I really like him. :tongue:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts