Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This person I know is Ne dom for sure, extremely creative always with an explosion of ideas etc.
He seems somewhat logical and likes to understand the mechanics of things and how it works, but oftentimes doesn't like it when I'm too analytical about something.

He's funny, with a weird sense of humor.
He doesn't seem to know that many of the things he says would be considered very inappropriate (which makes it all the more funny).

However, he is not witty or sarcastic at all, and is very bad at coming up with comebacks (is this a stereotype or are ENTPs always witty?)
He always tries to manipulate the conversation to his advantage, or to make me say something he wants to hear (but it's painfully obvious and it's easy to pick him out on that).
He can be blunt as well, but tries not to be rude.
He has loads of friends and talks a lot.
He has many ideas for what he'll do in the future and the inventions he's going to make. Gadgets, mechanics and physics especially astrophysics is something he loves.

So does he seem like one of you guys, or more like an ENFP?

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
This person I know is Ne dom for sure, extremely creative always with an explosion of ideas etc.
He seems somewhat logical and likes to understand the mechanics of things and how it works, but oftentimes doesn't like it when I'm too analytical about something.

He's funny, with a weird sense of humor.
He doesn't seem to know that many of the things he says would be considered very inappropriate (which makes it all the more funny).

However, he is not witty or sarcastic at all, and is very bad at coming up with comebacks (is this a stereotype or are ENTPs always witty?)
He always tries to manipulate the conversation to his advantage, or to make me say something he wants to hear (but it's painfully obvious and it's easy to pick him out on that).
He can be blunt as well, but tries not to be rude.
He has loads of friends and talks a lot.
He has many ideas for what he'll do in the future and the inventions he's going to make. Gadgets, mechanics and physics especially astrophysics is something he loves.

So does he seem like one of you guys, or more like an ENFP?
If y'all are young (HS age) he sounds like an ENTP with a low self-esteem that tries to build himself up by finding people's approval. He shares his narcissistic illusions of grandeur about how successful he'll be because he wants to be admired. After all, people like admired people. He'll either grow out of it, like I did, or he'll continue to always be seeking approval. ENTPs can have feelings, too, and it sounds like his Ti is not strong enough, so his Fe is starting to take over as the auxiliary which will make him more likable. The fact that he talks a lot points to his insecurities, especially that he tries to steer conversations to his advantage. Anyway, the compensatory ENTP is a very common subtype and often results in the ENTP being assumed as a feeler. Same way a compensatory ENFP will look like a thinker because they use too much Te to make up for their weak Fi.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If y'all are young (HS age) he sounds like an ENTP with a low self-esteem that tries to build himself up by finding people's approval. He shares his narcissistic illusions of grandeur about how successful he'll be because he wants to be admired. After all, people like admired people. He'll either grow out of it, like I did, or he'll continue to always be seeking approval. ENTPs can have feelings, too, and it sounds like his Ti is not strong enough, so his Fe is starting to take over as the auxiliary which will make him more likable. The fact that he talks a lot points to his insecurities, especially that he tries to steer conversations to his advantage. Anyway, the compensatory ENTP is a very common subtype and often results in the ENTP being assumed as a feeler. Same way a compensatory ENFP will look like a thinker because they use too much Te to make up for their weak Fi.
Yeah that's what I thought a weak Ti. And yes he's relatively young, so probably the Ti isn't quite that well developed. Though say the Ti does develop, will it simultaneously result in the person become quieter and possibly talking less?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Are you sure he's an extrovert? INTP's sure like talking about ideas. They certainly lack in the sense of humour department though.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
He sounds like a young, still developing ENTP. I know I was much more talkative and conversation dominant as a teen/young adult. I was blunt (still can be) but never with the intention of hurting someone's feelings. I also said more inappropriate things. He will probably calm down eventually with talking, etc. The Ne is usually overly dominant in young ENTPs and calms down as you mature and learn how to use the other cognitive functions.

I am definitely an ENTP but I would say that I am not very good at comebacks. ENFPs seem to be wittier than ENTPs to me. I can be sarcastic but I am much more on the inappropriate/weird sense of humor side of things than witty or sarcastic.

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
Yeah that's what I thought a weak Ti. And yes he's relatively young, so probably the Ti isn't quite that well developed. Though say the Ti does develop, will it simultaneously result in the person become quieter and possibly talking less?
Actually, yes, I would expect extroverts, in general, to learn to listen more as they mature. The problem here is not simply weak Ti, but rather over-compensating weak Fe. When a person focuses on two extroverted functions, then tend to talk a lot. It's a also a sign of insecurity. ENPs can often develop a low self-esteem because our Ne can make us weird growing up. If the ego becomes fragile, ENPs will look for another outlet to adapt, by developing a much more common extroverted judgment function.

In our young ENTPs case, he is using weak Fe, as his auxiliary function, to make friends and be seen as a good guy. But it isn't genuine and it seems off, which is why you come to PerC to figure it out. His excessive talking and use of Fe is probably not viewed as genuine, by some people, because his Ti is still visible. Have you ever noticed that people can tell when something is off about someone. Like if somebody talks to much or if someone is super awkward. Even though most people cannot categorize it, we detect functions and somebody's type indicates how someone's functions SHOULD be balanced.
@Geonerd you just might not be witty. It's honestly a personal skill and Ne is a great function to develop the ability for witty banter. I was not that funny as a teenager, but I actually practiced and worked on becoming funny. Now, I can really turn on the charm. And if someone starts using too much Te against me, I open up my arsenal of ad hominem attacks because I find that is the only way to truly defeat unnecessary Te.
Also, as far as the young man's Ne calming down, it might not. He could continue to be functionally imbalanced the rest of his life. @RantnRave that is such a wide sweep of generalities. If an INTP uses Ne as their dominant function and talks a lot, that would make them an ENTP. There might be some overlap with 25% quieter extroverts and talkative introverts, but the other 75% are way clearer. No introvert is ever going to a chatterbox who social butterflies around making friends (sober that is) and manipulates conversations to always focus on himself.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, yes, I would expect extroverts, in general, to learn to listen more as they mature. The problem here is not simply weak Ti, but rather over-compensating weak Fe. When a person focuses on two extroverted functions, then tend to talk a lot. It's a also a sign of insecurity. ENPs can often develop a low self-esteem because our Ne can make us weird growing up. If the ego becomes fragile, ENPs will look for another outlet to adapt, by developing a much more common extroverted judgment function.

In our young ENTPs case, he is using weak Fe, as his auxiliary function, to make friends and be seen as a good guy. But it isn't genuine and it seems off, which is why you come to PerC to figure it out. His excessive talking and use of Fe is probably not viewed as genuine, by some people, because his Ti is still visible.
He's clearly a Ne dom and extravert. His Fe usage to appeal to others is quite effective, he has many, many friends and lots of people genuinely like him. Maybe his Ne-Fe makes him good at that.

I never noticed lack of self esteem, but maybe I just wasn't looking close enough. Though there was some mention of bullying in an old school, and maybe that triggered it.

I would say he is actually good at using his Fe, it's just that I could catch on it, maybe even because I know about functions, it would certainly work with others. Maybe because of his practice at using it.
Maybe he will just depend on Ne-Fe for a long time and not develop cognitively the proper way ?

This is interesting.

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
I would say he is actually good at using his Fe, it's just that I could catch on it, maybe even because I know about functions, it would certainly work with others. Maybe because of his practice at using it.
Maybe he will just depend on Ne-Fe for a long time and not develop cognitively the proper way ?

This is interesting.
I'm not suggesting he, or any other ETP cannot be quite skilled with Fe. But plenty of people, including those who know nothing of psychology, will see a cognitive imbalance, if Ti is hidden. Fe doms/auxs will probably like him most as he can match with them, but other types will see that his desire to be both a part of the crowd and above the crowd is over compensating for his personal views/judgments. Insecurity is likely to manifest itself in private, for compensatory types. In public, he collects friends and the resulting network publicly validates him. There is not a type that is Ne-Fe. So to answer the original question again, yes, he is an ENTP in denial. If we were to ask him directly he'd probably say some shit like "I am both a feeler and a thinker which makes me unique." I make these genralities because I experienced it myself and it is common among ENTPs. Their development can still turn out to be healthy as real self-esteem replaces psuedo self-esteem. But as stated, it might not. He can wear a mask of security for the rest of his life to the point that it is fully intertwined with his personality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.