Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this person sound like an ESFP or some other type? I think they might be closer to the middle on N/S preferences and maybe P/J preferences, but still fall more on the S side due to their aesthetic sensibilities, and more on the P side for their lack of long term planning.
I come to you guys because y'all are the experts though! :)

- was the class clown & a wild teenager
- has stated they would rather be more creative than intellectual & acknowledges that they are not intellectual at heart
- is less afraid of the unknown & all of the possibilties there (good and bad), than the known, which has bad possibilities already recognized there
- has a strong love of music & art
- deep love of nature & enjoying the moments it offers
- describes themselves as stubborn & hard headed but a good person with a big heart
- is very open-minded & accepting, expects others to treat them the same
- is always in a relationship with someone, never single
- wants to "grow young", not old & be defined by their youth
- falls in love FAST & says i love you quickly
- always defends themselves when criticized, rarely internalizes it & never seems to accept it (at least in public)
- has engaged in risky behavior in the past & in a hard time of their life, became addicted to hard drugs. doesn't always know when to put on the brakes
- can be very moody, but gets back to being happy just as spontaneously
- has many dreams, but doesn't make plans or pursue goals for the long-term & has very little career direction
- very stylish, concerned with being seen as good-looking
- focuses on enjoying every moment as much as possible
- humor is largely in witty puns
- wants to live a non-traditional life and travel the world
- feels a deeper connection to animals than people, also cares for special needs kids & anyone "different"
- tends to ignore the bad things in life like conflict, consequences, or bad occurences & believes instead that everything will be good and work out
- thinks being unhappy means being a bad person & anything can be fixed with a positive attitude
- beliefs are contradictory & transitory, any interest in politics is to stand for misunderstood people that they side with or understand
- very artistic & aesthetically inclined/talented.
- can't hold a grudge because they love & trust unconditionally, even when it hurts them, because they tend to forget or gloss over past/present conflicts or issues
- loves & cares deeply for people
- can make friends with anyone, has friends of all walks of life
- very, very talkative & tends to say "crazy" things or blurt out ideas and opinions before they are fully formed
- can be offensive without meaning to be & occasionally don't care about being polite, although they are typically very kind-hearted
- when describing things they want to happen in the future, they say "it will happen eventually," and then in the meantime they get distracted by some new idea or calling they find in life
- although they may not be the most philosophically deep person, their care and love for people and animals, as well as their love of life and the physical world, gives their life a depth that i think most of the introspective types would be inspired by

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
- has stated they would rather be more creative than intellectual & acknowledges that they are not intellectual at heart
- is less afraid of the unknown & all of the possibilties there (good and bad), than the known, which has bad possibilities already recognized there
- describes themselves as stubborn & hard headed but a good person with a big heart
- always defends themselves when criticized, rarely internalizes it & never seems to accept it (at least in public)
- has engaged in risky behavior in the past & in a hard time of their life, became addicted to hard drugs. doesn't always know when to put on the brakes
- has many dreams, but doesn't make plans or pursue goals for the long-term & has very little career direction
- feels a deeper connection to animals than people, also cares for special needs kids & anyone "different"
- tends to ignore the bad things in life like conflict, consequences, or bad occurences & believes instead that everything will be good and work out
- thinks being unhappy means being a bad person & anything can be fixed with a positive attitude
- beliefs are contradictory & transitory, any interest in politics is to stand for misunderstood people that they side with or understand
- can't hold a grudge because they love & trust unconditionally, even when it hurts them, because they tend to forget or gloss over past/present conflicts or issues
- very, very talkative & tends to say "crazy" things or blurt out ideas and opinions before they are fully formed
- can be offensive without meaning to be & occasionally don't care about being polite, although they are typically very kind-hearted
- when describing things they want to happen in the future, they say "it will happen eventually," and then in the meantime they get distracted by some new idea or calling they find in life
- although they may not be the most philosophically deep person, their care and love for people and animals, as well as their love of life and the physical world, gives their life a depth that i think most of the introspective types would be inspired by
I think this person might be an ENFP. The ones in bold are for what I think might be Ne-dom (ENFP) whereas the ones underlinedare for ESFP. I know this ESFP guy quite well and, despite seeing him reflected in many things you've described, there are some other things (especially the ones in bold and the lack of some others) that are not the same for him.
So, yeah, Ne dom and Fi user.

I edited because I was stupid enough to use italic on a quote, when all qouted texts are in italic :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Interesting, thanks for your feedback :) I'm still new to fully understanding the whole cognitive functions thing and how they work together, but I definitely think this person falls more in the middle of the N/S preferences.
Just as I find myself caught in between feeling like an INFP/INFJ, I notice there are several people (like this one) who don't seem to perfectly fit the mold of just one type group.
Thank you again! :)

Oh, just thought I'd add this, I was looking at a thread earlier on the differences between ENFP & ESFP, and found a section on the way ESFPs/ENFPs think about the future, which was very helpful.

This user, MNiS (but I think they're banned?) said ESFPs live one day at a time, but they feel most excited by planning & working toward a future goal, even if they aren't the best at it. Whereas ENFPs will view planning a future with skepticism. My best friend is an ENFP, I am 99% certain, and this describes his attitude towards the future perfectly. He also feels trapped by the negative aspects of his past, believing they will continue to come into play in his future, which the OP also mentioned. Whereas this possible ESFP seems to enjoy planning their future in multiple different ways and also sees only positives to come from it. Is this a valid analysis?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Interesting, thanks for your feedback :) I'm still new to fully understanding the whole cognitive functions thing and how they work together, but I definitely think this person falls more in the middle of the N/S preferences.
Just as I find myself caught in between feeling like an INFP/INFJ, I notice there are several people (like this one) who don't seem to perfectly fit the mold of just one type group.
Thank you again! :)

Oh, just thought I'd add this, I was looking at a thread earlier on the differences between ENFP & ESFP, and found a section on the way ESFPs/ENFPs think about the future, which was very helpful.

This user, MNiS (but I think they're banned?) said ESFPs live one day at a time, but they feel most excited by planning & working toward a future goal, even if they aren't the best at it. Whereas ENFPs will view planning a future with skepticism. My best friend is an ENFP, I am 99% certain, and this describes his attitude towards the future perfectly. He also feels trapped by the negative aspects of his past, believing they will continue to come into play in his future, which the OP also mentioned. Whereas this possible ESFP seems to enjoy planning their future in multiple different ways and also sees only positives to come from it. Is this a valid analysis?
You're the one who knows this person so ultimately it's your choice, you know them better.
A few months ago I was a little bit like you, only focused on "the letters", I didn't pay attention to the functions. My advise is you check the functions and once you get them, like really get them, you'll see that sometimes it's easier to see a dominant function rather than the whole type and that's why that person didn't fit their type, basically because, now that you know their main funciton, that was not their type at all.
That also happens with the P and the J you mentioned. That they might looked as only a letter of difference, like I and E, but in the end they're totally different since they use totally different functions.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Does this person sound like an ESFP or some other type? I think they might be closer to the middle on N/S preferences and maybe P/J preferences, but still fall more on the S side due to their aesthetic sensibilities, and more on the P side for their lack of long term planning.
I come to you guys because y'all are the experts though! :)

I personally do not see ENFP in them. While I relate to them on some level, I definitely do not nearly enough for them to be one. The things indicating ESFP are in red.

Please keep in mind SFPs are just as creative as NFPs, just in a different way. It is also more common for SFPs to not mind not being intellectual. I'm pretty sure NFPs want to be both intellectual and creative.

Reactions: Wild

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@olonny, I will definitely be researching and learning more about the cognitive functions in the next few months, thank you for reminding me of their importance :) Do you have any suggestions on sites that make understanding the functions any easier, or feature real world examples?
@TelepathicGoose, it's helpful to have an ENFP's take on this person! My ENFP friend doesn't totally identify with them either. But I totally agree that SFPs are quite creative beings, their work always strikes me as being so pure in expression and feeling, even if they don't realize its metaphorical significance until long after the project is finished!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
@TelepathicGoose, it's helpful to have an ENFP's take on this person! My ENFP friend doesn't totally identify with them either. But I totally agree that SFPs are quite creative beings, their work always strikes me as being so pure in expression and feeling, even if they don't realize its metaphorical significance until long after the project is finished!
Yes, SFPs are creative too! The typical idea is the NFPs are creative in terms of ideas and non-tangible things (think: creative writing) while SFPs are creative in terms of tangible things (think: visual art.) Both Se and Ne are focused on changing things in real time in order to make them new and interesting.

I say ESFP because they seem very much like your typical creative ESFP who wants to enjoy life to the fullest and will do anything to do so. While I agree with the fact that they get bored easily (I do as well), I personally am searching for some sort of mental enlightenment, intellectual stimulation, etc. They seem like the type to search for "experience", and I personally couldn't care less about physical or real experience :p

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
@olonny, I will definitely be researching and learning more about the cognitive functions in the next few months, thank you for reminding me of their importance :) Do you have any suggestions on sites that make understanding the functions any easier, or feature real world examples?
Sometimes it depends on the way you learn better or they way it's easier for you to understand things. Like, some people remember facts better if they read them (visual learners), others (like me) think it's easier to remember facts when hearing them (auditory learners). I've read a lot of webpages (Introverted Intuition (Ni) & Extraverted Sensing (Se) in INTJs/INFJs vs. ESTPs/ESFPs or Understanding the Myers Briggs Type Indicator: The 8 Cognitive Functions ) but it wasn't until I started to research youtube videos about functions and watch as many videos as possible that I finally get it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great input so far. My opinion, your friend is an ESFP. Because ESFPs and ENFPs are very very similar in a lot of things, it's sometimes pretty hard to tell between the two. My little brother(ENFP), whom is obsessed with all this MBTI stuff, thinks so too. And he says I'm very ESFP, although sometimes I notice I behave like an ENFP. Well he knows it better, so I put my money on that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts