Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone keeps telling me that I'm an xSFJ and I do tend to relate to Si descriptions quite a bit. I was wondering what functions this description of myself sounds like. (Si is probably pretty apparent).

One thing I've noticed about myself is that I have always been naturally responsible. Its not something that I have to force or try to be--its just the way that I've always been. I always feel like I'm always the person who is bringing up details that others have missed and checking to make sure things are in order. I'm tend to be the one in my family/group who always makes sure that everything is in order and that we have all the supplies/resources we need. I like to be the navigator of my group and I'm pretty good at coming up with back up plans. Actually, when I'm around other people who do these things for me, I feel like they are stepping on my toes. The last thing I need is for someone to organize or plan for me. I'm good at that stuff all on my own, I don't need someone to do it for me. I like it when I'm around people who come up with ideas to put into action, and then I figure out all the logistics of how we can actually get it done.

Sometimes I get so caught up in perfecting the details that I take longer to do things than I should. I like to put things perfectly in order and I like to do things right the first time so that I can have a nice system.

I also don't like ambiguity. Its probably one of my biggest downfalls. I like and need clear criteria and guidelines. If I'm working on something thats entirely my own then I can make my own criteria and do everything to my own specifications, but if I'm working on something for someone else, then I like to know exactly what the goal is so that I can do it right. I remember when I worked at a clothing store last year, my least favorite part of the job was the fact that my job responsibilities were not clearly laid out. I was expected to be in 10 different places at once and I never knew which aspect I was supposed to focus on first. The entire time I worked there I felt like I was just running around in circles because there were no clear tasks. It made me feel like I was failing, even though I was probably doing more actual work than most of the people there. I really like knowing what my priorities are and what criteria I'm going to be scored on.

Recently, I've started becoming a lot less uptight. I used to be extremely rule-oriented and a goody-two-shoes, but lately I've started to realize that I need to follow my own path in life as well. For a long time I thought that there was a certain structure to life that I was supposed to follow, but now that I'm in my twenties I'm starting to feel like 1. there is no real structure and 2. i don't want to follow someone else's path. I don't mind following rules, but I want to be on my own life path.

I feel best about myself when I can handle anything/everything that's thrown my way. I hate being in a situation where I have no control over my own destiny or I feel helpless. I like a good challenge, and I like defeating that challenge and proving to myself that I'm capable. I absolutely hate feeling like I can't accomplish something even if I work hard at it.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Yup, this sounds like Te to me (and Fi, like @MrShatter said). I have no idea how this has anything to do with appealing to external feeling criteria via Fe in the context in which it was described, really. It sounds like you're resorting heavily to externally applicable action-based means of logic to handle everything - I don't see where concern for others' feeling values to figure out your own is coming into play here at all (aka Fe).

Reactions: AimfortheBrain

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I answered the questionaire for figuring out my type and everyone said xSFJ. That's why I decided to just write a couple paragraphs about my mindset right now to see if it matched Si and Fe or Te.

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
I answered the questionaire for figuring out my type and everyone said xSFJ. That's why I decided to just write a couple paragraphs about my mindset right now to see if it matched Si and Fe or Te.
Link please!

Here it is: http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my-personality-type/91136-what-type-do-i-seem-like.html
In that thread you emphasized values and caring and family etc. however, I don't think you indicated Fe as strongly in that thread as you indicated Te/Fi in this thread.
Which judging system to you personally identify with? Are you educated enough to make an informed decision. If not, I would research all that first.

I would say you are an ISTJ, with learned Fe behaviors due to your gender (and the developing Fi). But I hesitate because you seem to have the social fluency that often accompanies Fe - and you seem to lack the ISTJ... gruffness.
Which type description do you identify most with? Do you see yourself as a Thinker?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Link please!

Here it is: http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my-personality-type/91136-what-type-do-i-seem-like.html
In that thread you emphasized values and caring and family etc. however, I don't think you indicated Fe as strongly in that thread as you indicated Te/Fi in this thread.
Which judging system to you personally identify with? Are you educated enough to make an informed decision. If not, I would research all that first.

I would say you are an ISTJ, with learned Fe behaviors due to your gender (and the developing Fi). But I hesitate because you seem to have the social fluency that often accompanies Fe - and you seem to lack the ISTJ... gruffness.
Which type description do you identify most with? Do you see yourself as a Thinker?
I have always seen myself as a thinker and so have other people, but I'm also ridiculously soft-hearted about a lot of things. I don't know which description I identify with most. I usually relate to the ISFJ, ISTJ, and ISFP descriptions most, and every once in a while I feel like I'm a depressed ESFP whose just waiting to be happy again. I spent pretty much all of my adolescence in a deep depression where I isolated myself from everything so a lot of what I know about myself is what I feel like when I'm unhappy and insecure.

Functionally, I most readily identify with Si, Se, and Fi, and sometimes Ti when I read about them. I've studied typology for about two years now and I still don't have a full grasp on my own inner workings. I don't know why.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
@AimfortheBrain, everything about your posts in this thread combined with your avatar scream ISTJ to me. But I'm open to the possibility of being wrong.

Si is a very emotional function because it remembers all the little details. If you can remember the details, then you relive the past when you reminisce then you re-feel it as if it is happening again. Te is also connected to Fi so efficiency is really about not letting people down which comes off as very value oriented.

You just strike me as too direct to be an Fe primary. There is something very gentle about the way feeling types present information.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Te is also connected to Fi so efficiency is really about not letting people down which comes off as very value oriented.
So true! Just to add - it's about not letting people down, and most of all, not letting yourself down based on your values. I agree about his information presentation as well - it seems very direct and Te - I don't see any gentle sense of feelings consideration coming into play (that would be especially Fe if it's feeling qualities are noticeable). Btw, any T type having an F side is perfectly normal, @AimfortheBrain. It's all about which one you suppress to make decisions on a regular basis (and this is what the outside world sees as well).

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ISTJ it is then. Are you uncomfortable with anything relating to your type?
Do you feel more vulnerable in your Thinking, or in your values?
Are you asking if I'm uncomfortable about things related to ISTJ?
I don't know which I feel more vulnerable in.

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
I also don't like ambiguity. Its probably one of my biggest downfalls. I like and need clear criteria and guidelines. If I'm working on something thats entirely my own then I can make my own criteria and do everything to my own specifications, but if I'm working on something for someone else, then I like to know exactly what the goal is so that I can do it right. I remember when I worked at a clothing store last year, my least favorite part of the job was the fact that my job responsibilities were not clearly laid out. I was expected to be in 10 different places at once and I never knew which aspect I was supposed to focus on first. The entire time I worked there I felt like I was just running around in circles because there were no clear tasks. It made me feel like I was failing, even though I was probably doing more actual work than most of the people there. I really like knowing what my priorities are and what criteria I'm going to be scored on.
That part reminds me of myself, but I'm a Ti-user. I prefer consistency because I can understand it better than constant rule changes. I had a job where I had half a dozen different people telling me how to do the same thing half a dozen different ways. Also the policies kept changing while I also had to maintain two areas everyday and cover those who were slacking or on break. It was an overload for me personally and I'm a freaking Se dom. I have a certain way of doing things and I was constantly nagged that I was doing things wrong and that really gnawed on my Ti.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes
Is there anything you disagree with?
Well, one thing I don't really agree with is needing a plan all the time. I am a good planner, but a lot of the time I trust in my abilities to handle something myself, my way. I do like to know what I'm expected to do when it is either going to effect or evaluated by others.

Also, I feel like I'm fairly in tune with other people's feelings. Maybe its because I'm a girl and I grew up in a house filled with girls, but I don't have too much problem with feeling type stuff (I don't think at least). Plus, most decisions require a mixture of logic and values. Using one or the other exclusively leads to tunnel vision and bad results. (When I was really depressed I used to think that everything should be judged based off of pure logic and that emotions were too complicated. But i was just repressing my own issues and I made a lot of bad decisions because of it.)

I also have a very lively, theatrical side to my personality that I don't really see ISTJs being described as having. It usually only comes out at home with close friends and family, but it can be pretty dramatic. I also am very creative and imaginative with these same people. With strangers/acquaintances or bosses/coworkers I can come off as the most boring person in the world though. If they only knew... :tongue:

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
Well, one thing I don't really agree with is needing a plan all the time. I am a good planner, but a lot of the time I trust in my abilities to handle something myself, my way. I do like to know what I'm expected to do when it is either going to effect or evaluated by others.

Also, I feel like I'm fairly in tune with other people's feelings. Maybe its because I'm a girl and I grew up in a house filled with girls, but I don't have too much problem with feeling type stuff (I don't think at least). Plus, most decisions require a mixture of logic and values. Using one or the other exclusively leads to tunnel vision and bad results. (When I was really depressed I used to think that everything should be judged based off of pure logic and that emotions were too complicated. But i was just repressing my own issues and I made a lot of bad decisions because of it.)

I also have a very lively, theatrical side to my personality that I don't really see ISTJs being described as having. It usually only comes out at home with close friends and family, but it can be pretty dramatic. I also am very creative and imaginative with these same people. With strangers/acquaintances or bosses/coworkers I can come off as the most boring person in the world though. If they only knew... :tongue:
What do you disagree with in the ISFJ personality?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pardon me asking,
But how do you define all the various functions?

Si, Se,
Ni, Ne
Fi, Fe
Ti, Te

Have you tried doing those cognitive function tests?
And, well... what do you spend most of your time thinking about anyway?
Briefly I'd say:
Si- storing impressions of concrete data and using them as a reference point
Se- taking in concrete information exactly as it is presented
Ni- (this one is really tough for me to explain in my own words, but i've read that its about reading in between the lines and getting abstract impressions from the data presented to you)
Ne - Seeing a million possibilities spawning from whats right in front of you
Ti- logical analysis; mentally figuring out how things work for yourself
Te- a logical mindset that organizes the world around you. a mindset that lets you organize/manipulate the external world for maximum efficiency (hard to describe)
Fi- ethical analysis. figuring out which values you believe in for yourself.
Fe - a mindset that sees the world through a set of organized values; seeing different categories of relationships that require different ways of being handled.

I have tried the cognitive functions test many, many times and get all kinds of weird results.

I spend a lot of my time trying to figure out what I want out of life, how should I be spending my time, what kind of things do I want to accomplish, what kind of person do I want to be, how can I contribute to the things that I care about, and what could I do to fulfill my personal goals and obligations to loved ones. I also fantasize quite a bit about having better relationships with people and a more fulfiled life.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What do you disagree with in the ISFJ personality?
I relate to most of it, but something always seems a little off. I'm not as meek or harmony-oriented as a lot of the ISFJ descriptions. I also feel like I'm more analytical, task-oriented, and have an easier time speaking up than ISFJs are described. I keep my mouth shut a lot of the time, but I do speak up when something wrong or ridiculous is going on. I also do not do the whole susie-homemaker thing.

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
I relate to most of it, but something always seems a little off. I'm not as meek or harmony-oriented as a lot of the ISFJ descriptions. I also feel like I'm more analytical, task-oriented, and have an easier time speaking up than ISFJs are described. I keep my mouth shut a lot of the time, but I do speak up when something wrong or ridiculous is going on. I also do not do the whole susie-homemaker thing.
Are you comfortable typing yourself as an ISTJ?
If so, I would say it's settled.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts