Personality Cafe banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
INTJ
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So does this sound like you -

I don't want to stand up for myself because it might mean hurting the other person.

Despite the fact that the person hurt me or is being a dickhole, I don't want to be a dick back because it will hurt them.

I, for some reason, have very small boundaries, and have always felt that everyone else is so uptight and rigid, but on further analysis, it's just that I don't have enough self respect or feel like I have to be selfless, because to have boundaries and say no or telling someone to get out when they're crossing a line might make them feel shut out and hurt.

My sibling offered to give me her phone because she couldn't afford it and is low on money. She offered to give it to me for £10 a month.... I'm giving her £20 a month.

I will do everything for someone and them doing something for me doesn't really matter that much.

Presents/gifts are things for other people. Their birthdays matter and make you feel fulfilled. Your birthday doesn't mean much. If someone forgets it it's no big deal. Reminding someone that they forgot your birthday might make them feel bad.

-------------------------------------------------

Yeah, this is basically me. I've been wondering why I've felt empty for quite a while, and I've been watching videos by the likes of Teal Swan that have been very helpful.

I've been managing feelings and going back to the routes of my issues and feelings.

I feel as if INTP is starting to look more like the type that I thought I was but it's probably only because my emotions and dominant functions have gotten me into trouble and have not been validated, so I've began to trust my Ti because it's the function that helps me succeed more.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The aspect of caring an awful lot about how other people feel sounds very INFJ, but for me I like a bit of mutual compromise. If I'm giving someone advice and putting my all into it, I like people to return just a tiny bit of appreciation so I can feel satisfied that I've done an okay job. Otherwise I get insecure that I haven't done it good enough and start overthinking the situation inside my head, which can go horribly wrong.

However, you may still be INTP, because as far as functions go, Fe is supposed to be your weakest but the one that you find you admire in other people, which is probably why opposite types can sometimes get along so well. Maybe your Fe is overworking at the moment, because you may have felt empty for a long time and you're really curious to discover why, this might be the way you're going about it. INFJs use Ti to understand the things they pick up through their Ni, but for me the understanding process is always really slow and hard to stick with, because this is the third function and doesn't come most naturally to the INFJ. As soon as I've done it though I am always really thankful that I've put the effort into understanding it.

Whereas INFJs use their Fe as a form of expression almost, like if I discover a pattern or research something I found exciting, and a little lightbulb has gone off inside my head, I use my Fe as a way to express the excitement that I just felt from discovering that, and it makes me really want to share it with other people and have them feel what I have just felt too.

It depends on which you feel relates to you the most.

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
I don't want to stand up for myself because it might mean hurting another person -- It all really depends on the situation. If the person that is hurting me is crossing a legitimate boundary rather than just a personal preference or feeling (e.g: touching me inappropriately as opposed to hurting my feelings in some specific, subdued way), then I'm probably going to say something. Mind you, this is easier to do with acquaintances or strangers than it is with friends. I'm also very touchy when it comes to my parents' behavior toward me -- my father (ISTJ) especially. They've been shocked by how I've lashed out at him before, and honestly it shocks myself at times.

Despite the fact that the person hurt me or is being a dickhole, I don't want to be a dick back because it will hurt them. -- Again, this depends on the situation. If they are being a "dickhole" to me specifically, I will be less inclined to lash out. I don't believe in fighting fire with fire, and I don't want to escalate the situation. A lot of the time, nothing can be gained from fighting anyway. However, if they're being a dickhole to the people around me and disrupting the group harmony, my Fe will usually snap into "defender" mode and go after them.

I, for some reason, have very small boundaries, and have always felt that everyone else is so uptight and rigid, but on further analysis, it's just that I don't have enough self respect or feel like I have to be selfless, because to have boundaries and say no or telling someone to get out when they're crossing a line might make them feel shut out and hurt. -- I believe that this is more of a personal development issue than one that is specific to type. There are certainly types (ones with Fe in their four functions) that will be more susceptible to this, but with the proper perspective and discipline, this can be rectified. I used to have boundary issues, but after reading works by Henry Cloud (Changes that Heal) and the like, I built a more rational barrier.

My sibling offered to give me her phone because she couldn't afford it and is low on money. She offered to give it to me for £10 a month.... I'm giving her £20 a month. -- I don't see anything wrong with that. I just paid my younger sister $40 to clean out my car because she's using the money to go on a mission trip. I say that if you have excess money (which I currently do) and you see someone who needs it, then why not?

I will do everything for someone and them doing something for me doesn't really matter that much. -- Again, this depends on your boundaries and how well developed they are. It's good to be helpful, but you have to make sure that this doesn't cross over into being a doormat. You also can't let "vampires" take advantage of you. If someone is frequently using you for emotional/material support without making their own efforts at giving back, they need to go.

Presents/gifts are things for other people. Their birthdays matter and make you feel fulfilled. Your birthday doesn't mean much. If someone forgets it it's no big deal. Reminding someone that they forgot your birthday might make them feel bad. -- I think that this view on birthdays is more of just an N vs S thing in general. S-types are more for traditions like birthdays, where N-types aren't really going to see the point. Not for themselves, anyway. Ns with Fe are going to enjoy them as opportunities to make the people that they care about feel good. I actually wish that I could just discard my birthday; I don't see the use in it.

I wouldn't go doubting your type, if that's what you're doing. You're going to have emotional/social struggles that are similar to that of an INFJ because you have Fe as your fourth function. Particularly, you're going to resemble INFJs who aren't that developed yet. Please don't take offense to that. I'm not saying that you're underdeveloped, it's just that an INFJ's second function is Fe, so they're going to have problems with it if they are particularly underdeveloped (I still fall into this category myself -- I hate my Fe). You're probably going to have problems with Fe for a long, long time, because it's your fourth function.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts