Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started out my interest in MBTI by trying various tests around the internet, and not many gave me a credible result. So i began reading more, and delved into trying to understand the different functions, and their order, as well as reading a lot of description, and now I am quite positive that I am INFJ.

However, today I went back to one of the tests for the first time in some time, and found most of the questions very hard to interpret and some even seemed misleading.

The test I am talking about is this:
Personality test based on Jung and Briggs Myers typology
and I would love your input on it.

Myself, I came out INTP (I:67, N:75, T:1, J:22), and I assume this is as weak a T preference as you can have, so I am not really contending the validity of the test results, as I am aware that my Ti is very strong. Still I am very dissatisfied with the questions of the test, as, for me, it felt very much like trying to guess what the questions really meant.

So, what would you say. Does it work for you? Do find the distinctions in the questions to be well put and meaningful? Or is it just me?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
So is your Intuition Introverted or Extroverted and that you have Fe but it is not that good or high on the scales?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So is your Intuition Introverted or Extroverted and that you have Fe but it is not that good or high on the scales?
My intuition is certainly introverted. And I do not doubt that i am auxiliary Fe, even though I have a highly developed Ti as well.

My issue is with the questions:

How do I interpret and understand these for example:

- Objective criticism is always useful in any activity.
Yes, it is useful, but that doesn't mean that it is the ulterior motive

- You trust reason rather than feelings
Neither. I trust my instict and experience

- You find it difficult to speak loudly
Nope. It's one of my many personae.

- You find it difficult to talk about your feelings
Yes. I prefer listening to talking. I don't trust people, you see...

I just don't get what they are after. Or it could just be me being anal about it, seeing that I could easily fail a test like this in school just because I didn't agree with the wording of the questions.

But seriously, if you were to take the test, would you test out as INFJ?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Feeling in the second question is referring to what you described your instincts. Yes I agree a little bit anal in answering I would say. Most test are just generalizing based anyway usually they are in the ballpark if one answers the questions truthfully and understands the question's.
Does your Ti rule your Fe or your Fe rule your Ti?
Does your thoughts make more sense in your head than out loud?
I can keep asking question but how about just two so you wont go all anal on them :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Your Type is
INFJ
Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging
Strength of the preferences %
89 12 38 22

The test did work, however I cannot really think about the answers because I think I took this test a while back and got some E personality. I had to go through quick. Also some questions really depended on the situation and could be 50/50 depending on what was going on.

Reactions: penchant

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. Tried to answer this, but was logged out due to changing my IP and the answer disappeared. But here we go again...

Does your Ti rule your Fe or your Fe rule your Ti?
My Fe is definitely more important to me than my Ti. Both my Te and Ti are very strong, but I would never consciously let them get in the way of my Fe, which is also very strong. I use them very much to help people understand themselves and the world. Is that an answer to your question?

Does your thoughts make more sense in your head than out loud?
I seriously don't get that question. Sorry... :blushed: Do you mean whether my thoughts make more sense to me or to people I talk to? Then that would be a no - they make sense all the way. Actually, I wish that people would disagree with me more, so that I would not be left so much to my own figments of imagination in trying to understand the world.

I can keep asking question but how about just two so you wont go all anal on them :)
Keep 'em coming. It's appreciated!!!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

I seriously don't get that question. Sorry... :blushed: Do you mean whether my thoughts make more sense to me or to people I talk to? Then that would be a no - they make sense all the way. Actually, I wish that people would disagree with me more, so that I would not be left so much to my own figments of imagination in trying to understand the world.
Keep 'em coming. It's appreciated!!!

Okay, how about does your ideas seem more logical roaming around your head then speaking your ideas in a logical articulate manner. I am not referring towards advice type of ideas more of trying to explain a theory or some scientific idea of some sorts or whatever it is that you like to think about.
Or have you explain these thoughts in a debate with an INTP or an INTJ and they say something of the matter as that makes no sense or thats illogical. Or have you used a metaphor that was meant to explain enough of info that would require explaining detail for a while or books worth of stuff condensed down to just a few words.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

Both my Te and Ti are very strong, but I would never consciously let them get in the way of my Fe, which is also very strong.
Do you care to clarify your Te and Ti strengths?

·
Registered
712 Posts
You can be pedantic about any test questions since the test isn't written with you, personally, in mind. You've got to take your best guess at what exactly they are trying to establish, and answer how you would naturally behave, if no other people were around to influence your behavior.

For instance:
You are almost never late for your appointments
True. But only because I have an SJ in my life who has drilled punctuality into me. So to this I would answer no, because not being late is learned rather than natural behaviour

You feel involved when watching TV soaps
I don't watch soaps. But if they asked if I feel involved when reading books, or watching a good film, then yes.

You are usually the first to react to a sudden event: the telephone ringing or unexpected question
I answer this question differently each time, because it is one of those things that depends entiirely on the situation. But I think all they are trying to get at is if you are naturally inclined to take charge straight away, or wait for someone else to

Edit: test worked for me - I got INFJ (I - 56%, N 100%, F 12%, J 44%)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, how about does your ideas seem more logical roaming around your head then speaking your ideas in a logical articulate manner. I am not referring towards advice type of ideas more of trying to explain a theory or some scientific idea of some sorts or whatever it is that you like to think about.
Or have you explain these thoughts in a debate with an INTP or an INTJ and they say something of the matter as that makes no sense or thats illogical. Or have you used a metaphor that was meant to explain enough of info that would require explaining detail for a while or books worth of stuff condensed down to just a few words.
When I try to explain things to people, most of the time they get it, and I have never had anyone say to me that my explanations do not make sense or are illogical. I do tend to use a lot of analogy in explaining things. When learning, I actually learn the best by teaching others. It is not until I explain something to someone else, that I understand it completely myself either. I was taught in Montessori schools until the age of 10, so helping other children during class was a natural part of my education.

If discussing science with NT people, I enjoy their logical clarity, and they mine. I used to love both maths, chemistry, physics, philosophy and psychology in school. (As well as languages, history, and so on...)

What can happen is that when I take part in a group discussion (e.g. a board meeting or a small group) I listen a lot, and just contribute small comments here and there, rather than present longer reasoned thoughts, as I don't like being the centre of attention. In these situations, people might not seem to get what I'm talking about at all, and just kind of ignore it.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
I've never taken a test online that has worked for me. I arrived at INFJ after reading about it and then psychoanaylzing myself.

I've heard people say that it's impossible to do that objectivley, but I was so blunt with myself about everything during this process that I really feel like I pulled it off.

So in other words, no, the test doesn't do it for me.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you care to clarify your Te and Ti strengths?
Te/Ti is what I do for a living, as Head of Administration in a small non-profit organisation. Managing accounting, information, contacts with people and keeping constantly in touch with almost everybody within the organization, is all part of my job. So I spend a lot of time inventing, monitoring and optimizing routines, and also work with the board in strategizing, planning and prioritizing. If things are not working properly, it is often my job to identify the problem and be the catalyst in solving it. Analyzing and tinkering with all this is great fun to me, but ultimately not fulfilling, so what keeps me in the job, is in the end working with so many great people for a cause I believe in. That is also at the same time the biggest source of frustration for me, when I don't feel that everybody working together, or the sense of direction is lost, at which times I can easily feel depressed and helpless and withdraw into my own ideas, as I am not yet in a position in the organization to do much about it.

However, my academic field is theology, and there I can more clearly see the limitations to my Thinking, as I simply get bored when taking in to much data without being able to synthesize and form a more intuitive feel for the subject. I'm still fairly good at rote memorization, but I find it so boring, I can hardly ever motivate myself. (The exception here might be when learning languages, but even then I learn mainly using my intuition.) So in theology and academia, my strategy is to use my intuition rather than my Thinking, and that is probably true for such things as when I do computers, programming, music, etc.

I hope that helps... :mellow:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've never taken a test online that has worked for me. I arrived at INFJ after reading about it and then psychoanaylzing myself.

I've heard people say that it's impossible to do that objectivley, but I was so blunt with myself about everything during this process that I really feel like I pulled it off.

So in other words, no, the test doesn't do it for me.
Ditto to that... That's how I got where I am as well. And of course, having had someone who knows me well confirm my conclusions was also very helpful...

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Do you think I am using Te or Ti in my response to you?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Do you think I am using Te or Ti in my response to you?
My feeling is that you are trying to reconstruct my reasoning/logic, rather that follow it. Or at least I hope so, since otherwise I am probably not making much sense.

That would be Ti to me, as opposed to Te.

Thanks for helping me sort this out!

Reactions: myjazz

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
So are you saying that I am using Ti?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So are you saying that I am using Ti?
Now it seems to me you are just trying to get me to answer either yes or no to any of your questions... :laughing:

Oh well... I'd say yes.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Now it seems to me you are just trying to get me to answer either yes or no to any of your questions... :laughing:

Oh well... I'd say yes.
Sorry I am a little preoccupied at the moment and my Ti is getting lazy due to that. I was uncertain if you was saying Ti or not.

No I am not trying to get you to answer yes or no. Answer the way you feel like.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
This reminds me I need to finish the show I started for our Ti and Se functions.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts