Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the whole MBTI thing can cause divisions. What if your type, at some point, has become a self fulfilling prophecy that you adhere to because you assume that you are that way? Like suddenly you become more critical, scattered, rigid or whatsoever than you were before.

To clarify, yes I do appreciate that I identify as INFP, it is life changing that I've found a group of people who remind me of myself even with our differences because I grew up feeling like I was different from the common norm. Yes I do have highly idealizing tendencies, yes I can be very abstract, yes I like to tap into my intuitive side so I can discover more personal unique meanings, etc, etc.

However, I am more than just that, seriously. I sometimes feel that when I came out as INFP, certain other-type posters immediately assume:
  • She'll be too weak to stand up for herself when she needs to be
  • She won't apply logic when necessary

Wtf.

So when I do stand up for myself, they seem to get more annoyed, as if ,''oh hey you're an INFP. You're not supposed to do that''. And sometimes when I do not 'stand up for myself', it could actually mean I'm thinking,''Uh..this person sounds close minded..why should I bother arguing? It'd be like arguing with a brick wall.'' Get me?

When it comes to logic..seriously, if I am only about feelings and never about logic, then what the hell am I doing trying to reason this out. I don't think I'd even talk about certain aspects of politics and human nature if I didn't have logic. I think I'd be living in a treehouse by now if I don't have logic. I do have it; just because I can be very involved in my subjective world, it doesn't mean I am far removed from logical reality.

I am more than just an INFP, I have complex layers of strengths and weaknesses, and after observing personality forums a whole lot, I wonder if typing has created some unnecessary divisions although I am grateful for MBTI.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Only the uneducated will suffer this problem. Those who actually understand it will stop seeing divisions, stop hating others, and be able to communicate in the languages of other types.

Just tell them they don't actually know anything about myers briggs.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
In short, yes, I think it does. But bear in mind, it does in the same way that words create divisions in the way we communicate -- it is useful to use, but messes up our view of reality.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I don't think type makes divisions: It just makes them worse. Now people have recognized, pre-existing words and groups that can be applied to stereotype others, instead of having to make up their own.

In the case of the OP, it means that I can write off her opinion because she's a feeler, instead of because of the feeler-ness I sense in her expression of opinion.

Reactions: Raichan

·
Registered
751 Posts
Of course it does, but obviously the goal of the 16 types was to divide people 16 different ways. I think on the plus side, it shows people that they always have someone to relate to (more so on this site than in real life where types aren't as distinguished as looking below someone's username). On the minus side, it allows for easy profiling where people of one type can point the finger at another for a certain characteristic they may or may not have and say that they dislike the entire type based on that one characteristic or experience.

The only way to transcend this is to not look at the types as a label or predictor in how one will act, but as another dimension of their personality. That, in addition to staying open minded and not shutting anyone down based solely on their type.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I don't really see why you're complaining because this is going to happen your ENTIRE life, it has happened your ENTIRE life.

If that's you in your avatar, people here already assuming that you can't drive and that you eat cats and dogs.

That's freakin' life, people are always going to judge you as soon as they lay their eye on you.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I don't really see why you're complaining because this is going to happen your ENTIRE life, it has happened your ENTIRE life.

If that's you in your avatar, people here already assuming that you can't drive and that you eat cats and dogs.

That's freakin' life, people are always going to judge you as soon as they lay their eye on you.
Do you really think that?!? Not one time in my life have I seen someone and stereotyped them as having certain abilities or inabilities, or that they ate certain foods, based on their ethnicity. I've always believed abilities to be areas of personal strengths/weaknesses and foods eaten to be a matter personal preference and food type availability.

EDIT: On topic--MBTI does not cause divisions. It allows us to understand ourselves and others a bit better. The divisions occur when people draw false conclusions based on type.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
I agree that everyone is going to be judgemental no matter what you are. Its a fact of life, prove 'em wrong. Shit sucks but such is life.

Doesn't mean we "the enlightened ones" should be judgemental.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts