Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually don't like white noise recordings/web sites/etc. (Such as SimplyNoise..) I find them distracting, rather than helpful, when I'm trying to focus on something. My older brother likes them, though.

Actually, I'm a lot better off listening to my own favorite music--I tend to memorize quickly, so I mostly tune it out, but it really affects my mood and helps me drown out everything else as well. It serves the same function for me as white noise does for some other people, or at least it does when I'm using it to concentrate.

When you're trying to focus, do you like white noise? Do you turn on your own, quiet music? Or do you just not care, and blast the radio?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Only if I need to block something out. I prefer silence (so I rarely need anything at home), but I'll put on headphone and play music if I need to block out noise around me (crowd of people, servers running, etc).

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I can only use instrumental music, because otherwise I mouth the words and get distracted. I have to constantly fiddle around with the volume based on the amount of sensory input I need to optimize my task performance. (Heh, ADHD fun.)
White noise is a bit too boring.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
I only put on white noise to sleep -- i can't handle dead silence, because my mind focuses on any little random noise, and the same thing if there is any music or anything else, my brain continues to consciously think and I can't fall asleep.

Otherwise, I don't need white noise for anything, really.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
I like listening to certain music to compliment my thinking or current task. I usually listen to music that is rather soothing and isn't intense or heavy in any way. Its just background noise but its complimentary.

I hate things like the sound of an analog clock ticking and the sound of pens and pencils on paper. I somehow get distracted by it all without the music.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I occasionally turn on classical music, but even that can be distracting. Otherwise, I only really listen to music on long solo car trips.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Not white noise, but ambient and instrumental music. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross' "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" Soundtrack is a perfect example. That somehow focuses me but also makes me feel less anxious.

Examples:

Reactions: j4de

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
White noise actually distracts me. I prefer to listen to a piano piece, or a concerto. It relaxes me, and helps me concentrate.

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
Is that seriously a thing?

Are there people who willfully listen to white noise?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I only put on white noise to sleep -- i can't handle dead silence, because my mind focuses on any little random noise, and the same thing if there is any music or anything else, my brain continues to consciously think and I can't fall asleep.
QFT. To add to this, I have a ringing in my right ear that never stops. I've put up with it for almost 4 years now, it's terrible, so I have music playing when I sleep to take my mind off it. It's not really much of a remedy since it takes me on average an hour to fall asleep, but it helps.

Reactions: Jennywocky

·
Registered
509 Posts
I enjoy naturally occurring white noise, especially when trying to sleep, but turning on a white noise soundtrack seems... odd. I'd rather turn on a fan or a heater or something.

For background music when I'm actually doing stuff, I prefer aggressive metal with indecipherable lyrics, or droning, depressive metal that, again, has indecipherable lyrics. Lyrics that I can actually understand are distracting unless I'm able to hyperfocus.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
l love it.

l have this sort of constant ''ho hum bop bop shu wa wa wa wa buffalo soljaaa'' nagging rhythm that can manifest as anything, it will try to distort incoming information in with the rhythm.

So if l use something else that keeps rhythm, l can replace the nagging internal rhythm and read a book/study.
l like these too, ignore the videos about mind control lol. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain :kitteh:

·
Registered
342 Posts
White noise is like the sound of static on a TV after the programs close down for the night (does that happen anymore?!)

Pink Noise is like the sound of the sea. It's essentially white noise but with the bass frequencies boosted.

So, really, pink noise should be more calming.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
I enjoy naturally occurring white noise, especially when trying to sleep, but turning on a white noise soundtrack seems... odd. I'd rather turn on a fan or a heater or something.
Yes, I used to have a white noise machine I bought at a wholesale store, but nowadays I just use a fan. It doesn't even have to be a large one.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
Did it look like a radio, and were there occasionally people talking and playing music from it?
bwa ha ha It was such a funny little box. Later I had one with moving pictures on it.

Actually, it did have a radio setting, and then about 5 different noise settings. Only one was white noise. The others were "nature sounds" including a burbling brook, which annoyed the crap out of me because I could sleep even LESS with that one on!

Reactions: DemonD

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Does a fan count as white noise?

Because no matter how cold it is or whatever, I need a fan on, because other wise it's too quiet to sleep.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I prefer more conventional music over white noise. Yes, to me, white noise is music. After a few minutes of white noise, my mind inevitably starts playing around with it to the point that I can clearly hear melodies within it. Which, I suppose, makes it a bit distracting if I'm trying to do something else at the same time.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
I actually don't like white noise recordings/web sites/etc. (Such as SimplyNoise..) I find them distracting, rather than helpful, when I'm trying to focus on something. My older brother likes them, though.

Actually, I'm a lot better off listening to my own favorite music--I tend to memorize quickly, so I mostly tune it out, but it really affects my mood and helps me drown out everything else as well. It serves the same function for me as white noise does for some other people, or at least it does when I'm using it to concentrate.

When you're trying to focus, do you like white noise? Do you turn on your own, quiet music? Or do you just not care, and blast the radio?
whitenoisemp3 is pretty good but expensive. personally, I the noise my fan makes. I plug it in put it on low and drift away.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts